Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

going from dyed black hair to dark brown using L'Oreal?

• 26-03-2013 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have naturally ginger hair but for the past few years I've been dying my hair black but now I want a change,I'd like a dark brown hair colour. I've bought light brown hair dye in L'Oreal. I know it won't come out light brown but will it come out the dark brown that I'd like?
    I know from reading magazines that if you put a light brown in your hair it won't come out that colour and it will actually be a darker brown instead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I really don't think it will make any change at all to dyed black hair, the best thing to use would be colour b4 which is very gentle and should take some of the dye out and enable you to dye it the colour you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I haven't dyed it in about 6 weeks so it's faded a bit and not as dark as it was when I first got it done.
    When I say dark brown I mean the REALLY dark brown if that makes sense,so maybe only a shade or 2 lighter than black. I'm going to the hairdresser to get the dye put in as I think I'd mess it up if I got it done myself,it's my first time using semi permanent,before the hairdresser has used permanent dye,so I'm kinda nervous but hopefully the semi permanent will be okay.
    I'd prefer not to use colour b4/bleach on it but thanks anyways :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

ColourB4 isn't bleach, it doesn't damage your hair like getting it stripped does. I've used it to get brown dye out of my natural red hair and it worked perfectly, my hair was in grand condition after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

From my experience, nothing will shift black hair dye except bleach, Colour B4 or getting your hair stripped by the hairdresser. Colour B4 is probably the cheapest and least damaging of those options :)

I've tried to lighten black hair with brown dye before; the result being still black hair with brown roots :pac:

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I haven't dyed it in about 6 weeks so it's faded a bit and not as dark as it was when I first got it done.
    When I say dark brown I mean the REALLY dark brown if that makes sense,so maybe only a shade or 2 lighter than black. I'm going to the hairdresser to get the dye put in as I think I'd mess it up if I got it done myself,it's my first time using semi permanent,before the hairdresser has used permanent dye,so I'm kinda nervous but hopefully the semi permanent will be okay.
    I'd prefer not to use colour b4/bleach on it but thanks anyways :)

Colour b4 won't damage your hair if that's what you're worried about and it works very well.

You say your hair has faded a bit but I presume it's still black? Just not that really intense black that you would have in the few weeks after washing it. I had black hair for years and years, a semi permanent colour would have done nothing to it.

The only other suggestion I have is if you make up a solution 3/4 lemon juice and 1/4 conditioner...I used to use 75ml lemon juice to 25ml conditioner and then saturate your hair with it and wrap in cling film for half an hour or so, then take the cling film off and use a hairdryer on your hair until it's almost dry, it won't dry 100% and will be crunchy as it is lemon juice and conditioner and then rinse it all out, This works great on hair dye that is too dark and unnatural looking and brings some natural looking highlights into your hair, I don't know how well it will work on old dye though as I have only used it on dye that was maybe 2 weeks old that was too dark and it lightened it a couple of shades and I also used it after using colour b4 to tone down some of the red tint I was left with and it worked brilliantly, it didn't damage my hair either, I presume the conditioner protects it.

http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/5919.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    From my experience, nothing will shift black hair dye except bleach, Colour B4 or getting your hair stripped by the hairdresser. Colour B4 is probably the cheapest and least damaging of those options :)

I've tried to lighten black hair with brown dye before; the result being still black hair with brown roots :pac:

This!

I have naturally dark brown hair and dyed it black for a while. Decided I wanted it back to my natural dark brown but no amount of dyeing it brown would help (ANY shade of brown). I ended up just growing the black out, but as it faded it didn't look that bad cos of my natural hair colour. By the sounds of it, if you want the black gone, you have no choice but to get it stripped or use that ColourB4 stuff (never heard of it before now).

I've had second thoughts about the semi permanent colour and I have decided I'm going to get the hairdresser to put in a permanent colour as normal.
    Is there any way it can get dark brown without colour b4/bleach? And is colour b4 a hair stripper as I don't want to damange my hair...And how exactly do you use it,I've always gone to the hairdresser and never done my hair myself before,hence why I'm wary using colour b4..
    But I definitely don't want it bleached/stripped cos of the damage it will do to my hair.
    I've heard Johnson's Baby Shampoo/dandruff shampoo fades the hair colour? And yeah,it's still black

Is there any way it can get dark brown without colour b4/bleach? And is colour b4 a hair stripper as I don't want to damange my hair...And how exactly do you use it,I've always gone to the hairdresser and never done my hair myself before,hence why I'm wary using colour b4..
    But I definitely don't want it bleached/stripped cos of the damage it will do to my hair.
    I've heard Johnson's Baby Shampoo/dandruff shampoo fades the hair colour? And yeah,it's still black

Colour b4 isn't a hair stripper and it works nothing like bleach, it basically shrinks the artificial dye molecules in your hair and then you wash them out..you just mix it up like you would a hair dye and apply it to your hair for up to an hour and then rinse for 10 minutes or so and then apply another thing for a few minutes and then rinse that out aswell.

It's very very easy to use and doesn't in any way damage your hair, the only problem I have with it is that it stinks....really really bad....but it's worth it, your hair might feel crap after using it simply because you have rinsed it for so long but it's nothing a good conditioner won't sort out, your hair will feel great afterwards as you have removed a lot of build up of dye, it's as close to virgin hair as you will get.

How many times did you dye it black and did you ever use the XXL dyes?

Thought I may aswell post my hair history :)

I first dyed it a very dark brown colour in June 2010
    Then in August 2010 I got it dyed black
    Stayed black until December 2011 when I got it done a light brown. THEN a few months later I got it done black and it's been that colour ever since
    And nope,never used that or any other home brand dye,I've always gone to the hairdresser and they've used permanent hair dye. And I've looked up Colour B4 instructions online and I know I'd make mistake mixing it up so I don't wanna risk it :p

Thought I may aswell post my hair history :)

I first dyed it a very dark brown colour in June 2010
    Then in August 2010 I got it dyed black
    Stayed black until December 2011 when I got it done a light brown. THEN a few months later I got it done black and it's been that colour ever since
    And nope,never used that or any other home brand dye,I've always gone to the hairdresser and they've used permanent hair dye. And I've looked up Colour B4 instructions online and I know I'd make mistake mixing it up so I don't wanna risk it :p

You couldn't make a mistake, it's just mixing one bottle with another. :)
    The reason I asked did you use XXL was because that it one dye that
    colour b4 struggles to get out but honestly colour b4 is your best bet, it won't damage your hair in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

There's no escaping black without a healthy dose of peroxide or using Colour b4. If you put the semi permanent brown in, it will just intensify the black, and dye and regrowth you have brown. Black is a demon to get rid of. Also, after years of dying it, you'll have a fair bit of colour build up.

Advertisement