Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coastal Loch Garman

Options
  • 26-03-2013 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

I'm just back from a weekend driving along Wexford's coast, where we've one eye on buying a place in need of development along traditional lines. I never realised it was so stunning. I've a few questions to start:

1) Who currently owns Slade castle? A Google search is proving elusive, although I read it was taken into state/OPW hands in the 1940s. There was a Private Property sign next to it today. It would seem odd that historic property in state ownership passes to private hands.

2) Are the ruins next to the castle on the pier part of the castle, or in private ownership?

3) How come there are so many stone ruins scattered across Hook Head? I was very surprised at the number of these ruins, given the large number of new houses built in the same area. It is like something you'd see in west Mayo or Donegal. It seems like the planning authority is more interested in giving permission to new one-off houses that do not fit into the area's character, than in giving permission to people to restore and extend these character infused traditional stone buildings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Some info

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/travel/attractions/castles/slade.shtm

If you look at the register for Wexford here

http://www.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/NationalMonumentsinStatecarebycounty/

You'll note that the state has guardianship and not ownership of slade castle, obviously a difference.

I'm sure if you email Heritage Ireland they could help you out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Thanks for that. If the OPW has guardianship of the castle, does anybody know who actually owns it? (and, as a matter of interest, can they take back the castle whenever they want usually, even if the state does preservation work on it?)

Anybody know when it was last lived in, and by whom? And what were the circumstances of it passing into the care of the state?

Here are a couple of photos which I took on the very dark and windy day that was in it last Monday.

IMG_3568_zpsdc74cb97.jpg

I'm particularly wondering who owns the ruins on the left, which can be more clearly seen in this photo:

IMG_3567_zpsf87a9b10.jpg

How gorgeous that pier would look again if somebody could redevelop those traditional stone cottages (not as bungalows or apartments!). I'd love to live there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Hook Head and its surrounds has some stunning scenery and great tourist potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Seanchai wrote: »
    I'm just back from a weekend driving along Wexford's coast, where we've one eye on buying a place in need of development along traditional lines. I never realised it was so stunning. I've a few questions to start:

3) How come there are so many stone ruins scattered across Hook Head? I was very surprised at the number of these ruins, given the large number of new houses built in the same area. It is like something you'd see in west Mayo or Donegal. It seems like the planning authority is more interested in giving permission to new one-off houses that do not fit into the area's character, than in giving permission to people to restore and extend these character infused traditional stone buildings.

Wexford was one of the least affected parts of Ireland during the famine, the worst hit areas would be near the Carlow border. Even the original New Ross Dunbrody famine era ship would have had passengers mainly from further up the River Barrow county regions.

I would be guessing that many of the ruins on the Hook are actually from the Norman & later medieval periods. The region was more important in trading & industry, in those times than it is today. Many of the prominent ruins are pre Reformation.

Advertisement