Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plebs - new comedy on ITV2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Plebs - kind of "The Waybeforers" ie The Inbetweeners in Ancient Rome.
    http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/plebs
    http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/plebs-brand-new-comedy-itv2-trailer
    Looks promising. 2 episodes tonight.
    ep1 a little slow to start but episode 2 getting good.
    Ep2 guest stars Malcolm Smith, lesser known as Mr Danny Dyer. Also spotted Javone Prince - Jerwayne from Phoneshop.
    Malcolm full monty flossing with a towel and some excellent recurrent hand jokes:D
    First impressions
    Hilarious?, it is not quite there yet but more clever guest stars like this will keep my interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tom Rosenthal is great in Friday Night Dinner, so will give this a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Terrible in my opinion. Main character felt desperately like he was trying to imitate Simon/Will from the inbetweeners. Looked forward to it, watched one episode, thought it was a stinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I love the premise... It's enough to keep me watching at the moment... Not the greatest sitcom to ever come out of the UK, but its far from the worst...

Not great, not awful!

Definitely some worthy comedic talent in the cast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

4 episodes in and I love this show. I haven't heard or read any press on this until reading the bits in this thread. Not once did The Inbetweeners cross my mind while watching.

The whole concept of present day lingo and activities in a Ancient Roman setting is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wouldn't be worried if I missed an episode. It's nothing great in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think Stylax and Groomeo are great, and the scenes with Stylax and the boss are fantastic...

I agree with Boom_Bap - love the juxtaposition between Modern Day and Ancient Rome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The last good comedies that any part of ITV produced were "Rising Damp" in the 70s and "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" in the early 80s, they've always been abysmal compared to the BBC and Channel 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Main character felt desperately like he was trying to imitate Simon/Will from the inbetweeners.
    I felt that too but at the same time shows shouldn't ignore a certain type of character just because they've been done in another show.

I like this show, the first episode was a bit iffy but it's gotten better and better with each episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

The last good comedies that any part of ITV produced were "Rising Damp" in the 70s and "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" in the early 80s, they've always been abysmal compared to the BBC and Channel 4.

I take it that Men Behaving Badly doesn't count as it was produced by Hartswood Films?

In any case, the two series that aired on ITV in 1992 were rather awful compared to the BBC ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's rubbish, plain and simple.

What about 'Mr Bean'?

Basq wrote: »
    What about 'Mr Bean'?

Same as with the two ITV series of Men Behaving Badly - produced by an indie (in this case Tiger Aspect Productions) for an ITV company, rather than by the ITV company itself. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

It's rubbish, plain and simple.

:O I think it's great

I watch it with the boyfriend, he loves it too, we think it's so funny.

I take it that Men Behaving Badly doesn't count as it was produced by Hartswood Films?

In any case, the two series that aired on ITV in 1992 were rather awful compared to the BBC ones...

Awful show, so no it doesn't for me.

What about 'Mr Bean'?

I don't know if you are joking but that was very basic stuff, that doesn't bare repeat viewing, hardly a classic.

I don't know if you are joking but that was very basic stuff, that doesn't bare repeat viewing, hardly a classic.
    What?!?!?

Don't know if many would agree with you there..

.. absolute classic which even still appeals to youth today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I don't know if you are joking but that was very basic stuff,

So was Chaplain.

hardly a classic.

Yep.
    During its five-year run, the series gained large UK audience figures, including 18.74 million for the 1991 episode "The Trouble with Mr. Bean".

The series has been the recipient of a number of international awards, including the Rose d'Or.

The show has been sold in 245 territories worldwide, and has inspired an animated cartoon spin-off, two feature films, and an appearance at the London 2012 Summer Olympics opening ceremony.

What?!?!?

Hear! Hear!
    Mr. Bean was fantastic. I've watched the entire series several times and still find it hilarious.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    So was Chaplain.

Yeah and I'd be with Blackadder on his opinion of Chaplin:

"George: Well, you see, Chaplin is a genius.

Blackadder: He certainly is a genuis, George. He invented a way of getting a
    million dollars a year by wearing stupid trousers."

What?!?!?

I'm sure it would appeal to kids that haven't seen it before but there is nothing substantial or enduring in the humour to reward a repeat viewing of it, unlike an episode of "Fawlty Towers", "Cheers", "Royle Family", "Seinfeld" or "Blackadder" etc.

I'm sure it would appeal to kids that haven't seen it before but there is nothing substantial or enduring in the humour to reward a repeat viewing of it, unlike an episode of "Fawlty Towers", "Cheers", "Royle Family", "Seinfeld" or "Blackadder" etc.
    Slapstick is a fairly hard form of comedy to carry off effectively and Mr Bean is one of the best examples of it.

Being able to build a story without any dialog isn't easy.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Slapstick is a fairly hard form of comedy to carry off effectively and Mr Bean is one of the best examples of it.

Being able to build a story without any dialog isn't easy.

Yeah I suppose it is but I was always much more a fan of verbal comedy, I just think once you see his stuff once its enough, I suppose I also like more hardcore type of humour like his rather nasty Blackadder character than family friendly stuff like Bean.

Yeah I suppose it is but I was always much more a fan of verbal comedy, I just think once you see his stuff once its enough, I suppose I also like more hardcore type of humour like his rather nasty Blackadder character than family friendly stuff like Bean.
    It's two ends of the spectrum but both are the best in their field.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's two ends of the spectrum but both are the best in their field.

Better leave the Plebs on here to their discussion boss, we'll never agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

The second season of ITV2′s Plebs will premiere on Monday September 22nd at 10pm, with a double-bill.

brian_t wrote: »
    The second season of ITV2′s Plebs will premiere on Monday September 22nd at 10pm, with a double-bill.

This second series was announced 15 months ago...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-06-10/plebs-confirmed-for-series-two-return

What took it so long to reach the air?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

One of the guys in the show has had some other acting work come his way. He's also been in Game of Thrones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement