Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult ADHD

Options
  • 26-03-2013 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was (re) diagnosed with ADHD yesterday after being off Ritalin since age 5, (now 24). To be honest I knew it was there all along for years but never done anything about it until it screwed up my life. Things can only improve from now on though. :rolleyes:

I was advised about some adult ADHD groups by the staff at the Dean Clinic and pending some bloodwork I should be starting medication soon, which I should have done years ago.

My main question is about the group sessions they are €30 a pop and money is tight at the moment and I found cognitive behavioural therapy (for what my doc thought was anxiety disorder, but was really part of ADHD) was about as useful as a chocolate teapot in the past :D

Just wondering if anyone on boards is in one of those groups, Do you find they help, and are they worth 30 quid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

To my knowledge its a group that talk about having ADHD. So no for. €30! It's too expensive.dean clinic should refund money if referal was made by gp look into that. The north fingal add/-ADHD group have an adults guide ring o18020484 and ask for it, it's free or go to www.adhd.ie to download it for free

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

Thanks Cathy,

It's great to know I can try this out for free and I will defiantly look into it :)

In fairness the dean clinic did not tell me to go to it, they just said it's helpful for some people, and something I might want to consider but they werent really trying to sell it to me.

The Dean clinic did not overcharge me at all and I found the staff to be very professional and genuinely interested in helping me. The testing was €500 but they were 3 consultants working all day with my case, I think they done a brilliant job and it was worth every penny but ill give it a miss on the €30 group thingy.

Advertisement