Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom PhoneWatch

Options
  • 26-03-2013 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I had two young men call to my house yesterday evening claiming to be from eircom phonewatch. They had id on them. I don't know what the real id looks like so it could be made up.

They wanted me to put a fake box on the side of the house. The reason being was that if 3 or 4 houses put up this fake box it would encourage the other neighbours to buy an eircom phonewatch package. And then I would get a big discount if we then went with eircom phonewatch.

Does this sounds correct? Is this the way that eircom phonewatch is being sold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Did they try to sell you the real box/service first? If not, it sounds a bit ropey...
    How much were they charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sflemings

No mention of the real service. No mention of price or gave any leaflets either. Went straight into talking about putting up the fake box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

That's the way they work ... Stay away from them ... It's not worth the deal they're offering ... Makes up with the maintenance and monitoring contracts .
    €699 for the system /7 sensors / no working bell with lights . €250 - €350 for monitoring per year @ 2-3 year contract.
    €140 for gsm if you have no landline
    €260 for a live working bellbox which other companies include as standard .

You could go with any other company and pay €700 - €850 for a better system without any contracts or hidden charges .

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sflemings

Eircom PhoneWatch got back to me anyway. They said that there were field reps in my area so I went back to them saying that their sales pitch was awful, trying to get people to put up fake boxes in order to get the neighbours around to get the service.

They said they'd follow up internally on the sales pitch used and will pass comments onto the relevant parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Chance your arm and tell them you want a free system with a years monitoring for advertising .... What if the neighbours want to see the 'fully working system ' .
    Worth a shot at least ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

sflemings wrote: »
    Eircom PhoneWatch got back to me anyway. They said that there were field reps in my area so I went back to them saying that their sales pitch was awful, trying to get people to put up fake boxes in order to get the neighbours around to get the service.

They said they'd follow up internally on the sales pitch used and will pass comments onto the relevant parties.

The amount of houses that just have a dummy boxes installed.
    It can act as a deterrent in some cases but better to have the real thing just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 slaney

they promise real alarm but install dummy boxes

slaney wrote: »
    they promise real alarm but install dummy boxes

That is all well and good if it is being monitored. The amount of people moving away from them is where the risk is. Most internal bells are loud, for you and your next door neighbour. A live external bell alerts all your neighbours. Always best to have one fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

altor wrote: »
    That is all well and good if it is being monitored. The amount of people moving away from them is where the risk is. Most internal bells are loud, for you and your next door neighbour. A live external bell alerts all your neighbours. Always best to have one fitted.

External bells are good but the time limit they should sound should really be reduced .
    Ringing for 15 mins is overkill in an estate .
    3 mins seems long enough to alert neighbours and if they have no access then tough

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Len Momo

Hello.
    Wondering if anyone can help at all. Have an eircom phonewatch alarm, Simon Panel I think. Installed in 08'. It's out of contract now and beeps every Sunday night.
    Usual Eircom replies of give us more money, we'll give you a good night's sleep.
    Been beeping for month's now and can suffer no more. Makes even more of a demon of me on a Monday morning.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you. :)

• Advertisement

Len Momo wrote: »
    Hello.
    Wondering if anyone can help at all. Have an eircom phonewatch alarm, Simon Panel I think. Installed in 08'. It's out of contract now and beeps every Sunday night.
    Usual Eircom replies of give us more money, we'll give you a good night's sleep.
    Been beeping for month's now and can suffer no more. Makes even more of a demon of me on a Monday morning.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you. :)

It is the alarm contacting the monitoring station. P.W is not giving it the handshake it is looking for so hence the alert on your system at the time it happens. The numbers for the monitoring station need to be deleted to stop this happening. I have sent you a P.M re the code to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

I have a Simon XT unit. Do you know if I fit a PhoneWatch bellbox outside, will the two be compatible? I believe the output of the Simon XT is 12volts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What bell box are you wanting to fit? Why a PW one?
    Any standard bell box will work.

I just bought a used PW box. I have a couple of questions:
    1 - Should I connect the out of the Simon XT box to the "120 VRC Siren" inputs of the PW terminal block?
    2- The output of the on-board PW battery is about 1.3V - is that about right? How does it stay charged?

Thanks!

One more question: When I activate the Simon XT alarm, I'm getting about 6V going to the Siren terminal inputs of the external Phone Watch box from the HW1 I/O; HW1&2 outputs of the XT Box. Is that the correct voltage?

I just bought a used PW box. I have a couple of questions:
    1 - Should I connect the out of the Simon XT box to the "120 VRC Siren" inputs of the PW terminal block?
    2- The output of the on-board PW battery is about 1.3V - is that about right? How does it stay charged?

Thanks!

HW1 to left side of resistor in sabb
    HW2 to external -
    HW3 to external +
    6 to sabb hold
    Learn sabb in as group 36

One more question: When I activate the Simon XT alarm, I'm getting about 6V going to the Siren terminal inputs of the external Phone Watch box from the HW1 I/O; HW1&2 outputs of the XT Box. Is that the correct voltage?

That Is correct as its not a standard Sabb used.
    Its a 6V one.

Altor - thanks for your reply. Bear with me here ....
    So, are you saying that since the output of the Simon XT is 6VDC, and PhoneWatch Bellbox siren inputs are expecting 12V, I'll have to change the Bellbox to the likes of a HKC SABB which will work with a 6VDC input?

IF not, what Bellbox w/strobe can I use with the Simon XT 6V?

Altor - thanks for your reply. Bear with me here ....
    So, are you saying that since the output of the Simon XT is 6VDC, and PhoneWatch Bellbox siren inputs are expecting 12V, I'll have to change the Bellbox to the likes of a HKC SABB which will work with a 6VDC input?

IF not, what Bellbox w/strobe can I use with the Simon XT 6V?

The Simon systems uses a 6V Simon Sabb.
    Any photo of the inside of the one you got second hand?

Advertisement