Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inca Trails - Alternative

Options
  • 26-03-2013 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm going to South America for 4 months from May - Sept, busy season for the trails. It appears that the official Inca Trails tour is sold out until mid August, however if I was to take the trek at this point I'd have a week to get to Rio for my flight home, which no doubt would be ridiculously expensive by plane.

Anyone got any reccomendations on a cheap way to get from Cusco/Lima to Rio in late August? Or else has anyone done any other the other treks not including the classic Inca Trail trek that they could recommend that would end up at Machu Pichu?

I know I should have booked this months ago, but due to nothing but my stupidity I didn't.

Any info welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

There are loads of cheap alternatives available in Cuzco...Id imagine the quaility of some of them could be dubious enough but there are certainly plenty available, nearly every shop has some ads up about booking them....The Lares trail is the best known and can be booked through some of the large international companies as well as the locals (at least you would be getting a decent service). I did the official trek with G adventures but a few from our group hadnt booked in time to get onto the official trek so they were taken on the unofficial trail instead...and they loved it (except that we got to walk into MP through the sun gate to see the sun rise whereas they had to come through the main gate after coming up from the village with the masses who didnt do any trek). We flew from Lima to Rio and if I remember correctly it was about 400 euro...its about a 5/6 hour flight so flying is def your only option !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

Hi - we were in a similar boat some years ago. We did the Salkantay trek with Peru Planet, would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Macyp3

Thanks guys.

I think after spending USD600 on a 3 night trek I dont want to spend another USD500 on a flight the very next day! I think maybe if I just turn up and hope for either the Jungle Terk or the Salkantay trek we should be in for a bit of luck at least. I always loved the incas in history at school and need top get to MP but if I need to train/bus ity there then that's how it must be. Once I can do a relatively tough tour in the preceding days I'll feel like I earned it!

Any recommendations on tour agencys once we arrive in Cusco or is it all the one??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Macyp3 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

I think after spending USD600 on a 3 night trek I dont want to spend another USD500 on a flight the very next day! I think maybe if I just turn up and hope for either the Jungle Terk or the Salkantay trek we should be in for a bit of luck at least. I always loved the incas in history at school and need top get to MP but if I need to train/bus ity there then that's how it must be. Once I can do a relatively tough tour in the preceding days I'll feel like I earned it!

Any recommendations on tour agencys once we arrive in Cusco or is it all the one??

It wont cost anywhere near that..the official trek is expensive due to the permit etc, but the unofficial treks are not that expensive at all, I cant remember exact prices but they were less than 200 euro anyway (3 years ago, but I doubt much will have changed)

Advertisement