Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crate training one year old rescue dog

• 26-03-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi I was wondering does anyone have any tips on crate training a one year old rescue dog (terrier). I've never crate trained a dog before so any advice welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering does anyone have any tips on crate training a one year old rescue dog (terrier). I've never crate trained a dog before so any advice welcome :)

What exactly do you want to know? There are plenty of guides online if you google crate training. I have crate trained a few rescues/foster dogs as well as my own terrier so if you're after anything in particular, ask away. Id just say to be extra careful and gentle when training a rescue dog. You may not know what its past is so at first, take your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Make it somewhere the dog will want to go, have a few of it's things in there, comfy blankets or cushions, etc and make sure it will stay open during the day until you need to close it at night. Some dogs like privacy in their crates, so see if he/she rather have a blanket over the crate. Some hate it, so if the dog reacts negatively to it make sure not to remove it again. As Vai said, without knowing what time little thing has been put through, go slowly.

Congrats on your pet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Put some treats outside but near the crate on day1, day 2 put treats at the door, day 3 put treats just inside the door, day 5, 6 & 7 treats further inside. If at any stage the dog gets in the crate of its own accord, treat. By day 8 the dog should be going inside regularly looking for treats. Start closing the door for a minute at first, then let him out and treat. Build up on the minute inside gradually. I spent about 2 weeks getting my dog used to his crate and its payed off 10 fold. He was easily house trained. He never cries in his cage, even if I'm in the same room. He goes in and out of it during the day for a snooze, he loves it! I have a plastic 1 which is more enclosed than the cage type ones. That's what worked for me but its a little different as he was a puppy. Also, Stock up on treats!

Tldr: get him to love his crate, treats galore!

Advertisement