Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Melbourne

Options
  • 26-03-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Nice result for Rob Wormald in Ironman Melbourne despite short swim..and a gentleman to boot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Nice result for Rob Wormald in Ironman Melbourne despite short swim..and a gentleman to boot

What did he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

8.30 - swim was halved - 4.50 bike 3.05 run

35th overall

8.30 - swim was halved - 4.50 bike 3.05 run

35th overall

Nice result, heard SAVAGE drafting on the bike. Some epic threads on slowtwitch on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

Just saw pics on slowtwitch..unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

really stupid question, and may not be for this thread.

What should you do in this situation.
    move over to the left\right hand side and be outside the draft zone and move up, (but be on the wrong side of the road)
    say to fcuk with it and just sit there and wait for natural attrition to work its magic, I would assume any time gain from the drafting would cover the drafting penalty.
    Sit up, let the bunch move away and then start the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

BennyMul wrote: »

move over to the left\right hand side and be outside the draft zone and move up, (but be on the wrong side of the road)
    say to fcuk with it and just sit there and wait for natural attrition to work its magic, I would assume any time gain from the drafting would cover the drafting penalty.

Swim faster and get out on the road in clean air..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BennyMul wrote: »

You won't get pinged for drafting if you are passing people. Keep on moving through and up as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Nice result, heard SAVAGE drafting on the bike. Some epic threads on slowtwitch on it!

I was more shocked by the number of the cheaters on that video in the swim turning around at halfway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just saw pics on slowtwitch..unreal

For feck sake....
    D94.jpg

d1.jpg

d9.jpg

As someone said, lots of people enter because they get fast PB's, so as long as the entries and money keeps rolling, there's no incentive for the race organisers to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

^ is that a tandem bike they're racing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Aye the photos are unreal....but if they have 2000 people in one wave doing a 1700m swim (maybe even less) then this is inevitable...what else could they do...stop everyone at the bike start and send them 20 metres apart.. Would like to see a timeline of photos from each hour into the bike to see more...although the drafting by 667 is ridiculous!!!! he should be penalised post race!!! :)

A club mate did Melbourne, (his report on club site )

Favourite bit from the report :
    "I heard one particularly irate Aussie on the phone saying “they are going to make the swim 1.9k because the waves are too big for the weaker swimmers. They should have fvcking trained harder. If you are too much of a pussy to swim in 6 foot swell you shouldn’t enter a bl00dy ironman with a sea swim."

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A club mate did Melbourne, (his report on club site )

Favourite bit from the report :
    "I heard one particularly irate Aussie on the phone saying “they are going to make the swim 1.9k because the waves are too big for the weaker swimmers. They should have fvcking trained harder. If you are too much of a pussy to swim in 6 foot swell you shouldn’t enter a bl00dy ironman with a sea swim."
    Be glad TI didnt make the call on that one. Policy with them is cut the swim altogether if conditions are bad.

Oryx wrote: »
    Be glad TI didnt make the call on that one. Policy with them is cut the swim altogether if conditions are bad.

I heard that they cancelled the swim in one race because they saw a particularly angry duck in the lake.*

*Probably not true, but sentiment valid

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

I heard that they cancelled the swim in one race because they saw a particularly angry duck in the lake.*

*Probably not true, but sentiment valid

I'd say the duck would only have to threaten to get angry!

Advertisement