Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent problem want to leave

Options
  • 26-03-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Hi guys ill keep this short and sweet

I need to get out of my house. My housemates are driving me crazy. they have kept me awake screaming shouting and partying until 5-6 am on 3 occasions now and ive approached the landlord twice and although he's mentioned it to them twice there is no let up in their behaviour and he says to sort it amongst ourselves. I need to wake at 7.30 each morning for my work placement and cant be in this environment

I don't want to leave but im starting to become agitated now and my patience is becoming quite thin. They also gave strangers their own key who arrive in the middle of the night even if they arent there and also people they bring randomly wander into my room when im sleeping. I also have no key to lock my room so i cant imagine what happens while im gone

I have not signed a lease, but i did give a deposit which the bills are taken from.

Am i entitled to it back minus the 2 months bills?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What arrangement do you have; are you renting a room or did you rent the entire property with this other person?

If you are renting a room and you have no lease then give your notice and leave.

If you are renting the entire property then in reality its not the landlords problem to sort; your options are to either sort the issue with your housemate yourself, or you give notice and leave the tenancy (either both of you, or you talk to the landlord about the possibility of subletting/reassigning your part of the tenancy).

Also deposits are not normally used to pay bills with. You will need to discuss this with your landlord about what they would be deducting. Provided you are not illegally breaking a lease then you should expect to get as much of the deposit back as you are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Renting the house with 5 others, 3 of them are causing the issues. there is no remainder of the tenancy left as i never agreed to a period. he also told me the house was quiet which it isnt.

How much notice need i give? my rent is due and im very reluctant to hand over another months worth of rent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you are only renting a room then you are a licensee rather than a tenant, and there the rules are less official shall we say. Typically the norm would be to give notice that corresponds to your rent payment period (ie if you pay by the month then you give a months notice).

Explain the problem to your landlord and they may agree to a shorter notice period. If they have any consideration for the state of their rental property they also might take your complaints about the housemates more seriously if they think you are prepared to leave. Unless you are living in a student hovel that sort of behaviour is not acceptable, and the landlord will end up with this situation occuring many more times unless he deals with the problem housemates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

pone2012 wrote: »
    Renting the house with 5 others, 3 of them are causing the issues. there is no remainder of the tenancy left as i never agreed to a period. he also told me the house was quiet which it isnt.

How much notice need i give? my rent is due and im very reluctant to hand over another months worth of rent

Who told you the house was quiet? Were the other persons in occup[ation and paying rent before you moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Kosseegan wrote: »
    Who told you the house was quiet? Were the other persons in occup[ation and paying rent before you moved in?

the landlord told me it was quiet as i told him i needed a quiet place

yes the 3 in question are there 2 years

• Advertisement
Advertisement