Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin!

Options
  • 26-03-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Long time smoker and hopefully first time vaper very soon.

I've been through this forum a couple of times and just keep bamboozling myself.

Could one of the more experienced posters do me a big favour?

Could you put together a list if what I need to buy initially to start vaping, including enough supply for say the first 4 or 5 weeks? I don't mind spending money on quality equipment, and also don't want to have to buy twice. So basically equipment that I won't need to go upgrading in a few months.

Next, could somebody put a list of what I need to buy continuously after my initial 4 or 5 weeks? I appreciate that flavours and strengths are my own choice but quantities Etc would be great.

Basically what I'm looking to find out is what I need to buy initially to have a quality set-up and then what I need to buy every 4 or five weeks to last me until my next order.

I'll leave it in your capable hands lads!

Ta!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I'll leave the specific devices to those more in the know (pretty much anyone here) but I just wanted to suggest trying a few different things, rather than locking in one type of kit... Say 2 clearomisers and 2 cartomisers (or 5 or whatever). Some like one, others like the other.

It's easy early on to reject the whole thing as it can be fiddly or not to your liking, so try a few things.

If you are in Dublin Ovale have a walk in shop I found very handy. Clearomisers are about a fiver so trying these type of things is pretty easy / affordable!

Losing your virginity need not be painful and expensive! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Long time smoker and hopefully first time vaper very soon.

I've been through this forum a couple of times and just keep bamboozling myself.

Could one of the more experienced posters do me a big favour?

Could you put together a list if what I need to buy initially to start vaping, including enough supply for say the first 4 or 5 weeks? I don't mind spending money on quality equipment, and also don't want to have to buy twice. So basically equipment that I won't need to go upgrading in a few months.

Next, could somebody put a list of what I need to buy continuously after my initial 4 or 5 weeks? I appreciate that flavours and strengths are my own choice but quantities Etc would be great.

Basically what I'm looking to find out is what I need to buy initially to have a quality set-up and then what I need to buy every 4 or five weeks to last me until my next order.

I'll leave it in your capable hands lads!

Ta!
    I wouldn't be the sort to say this, but what I've bolded screams "Get a ProVari".

So, if you want to avoid upgrading, get a ProVari. They are very expensive, but they have a solid reputation for not breaking and for being as accurate as a mod can be. Buy cheap, buy twice.
    You'll need to order batteries and a charger with that.
    Atomising devices - try out a 5pk of Boge cartomisers (3ohm) and clearomisers like the Kanger eVod, Vivi Nova or the Vapeonly BCC.
    Each carto will last a few days to a week, or longer if you use watery, unsugary, untobacco-y juices.
    The replaceble heads for a clearomiser will last about as long, though they can be replaced or rebuilt.
    You might find yourself moving into rebuildable atomisers in a couple of months, so I wouldn't buy a year's supply of any of the pre-made things.

Juice-wise you might go through anywhere from 15ml to 45ml a week, it really depends on the strength and how often you have the thing to your mouth.

Edit: get to the for sale thread now, mrplop has a ProVargain for you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

honestly.. a new vaper has no business getting a provari unless they have buckets of money and no debts to pay off

a couple of twists, or a vamo/evic..whatever but a provari should always be something you decide to get after you've been vaping a while and don't see yourself stopping for a few years. then it becomes a worthwhile investment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If i was starting again

Device
    SS Vamo
    E-fest 18350 batteries X4
    Trustfire charger

Option 1
    AGR Carto Tank
    Boge XL cartos X4
    Carto Punch

Option 2
    Vivi Nova STV
    Vivi nova heads (pack of 3)

Juices from different vendors,T-juice,highbrow or house of liquid

That would set you back about 140 with juice,but it will last longer and you wouldn't require much upgrading unless you wanted to get into rebuilding.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

As I recommend to all smokers who see me vaping, and ask what they should get, I'll say an ego twist set for €56 is the best thing to start on, bar none.

Choose the T3 heads with it, pick 5 x 5ml sample juices you like the look of. Choose whatever nicotine strength you think might suit you for each juice, but get one or two of them in the next level up or down, just in case they are too much/little.

Get another sample pack of 5 juices, pick all different flavours, that's the beauty, finding flavours you like.

Also buy a cartomiser and tank, like a smoktek dct tank for €7.50 or a boge F16 for €9.

This will give you the best possible start in my opinion.

For less than I was paying a week on the smokes, as a 25 a day smoker. Your total cost = €75

Theoretically, that should last you around 3 weeks to a month vaping, assuming you use about 2ml a day.

The only thing you will need to buy after that is more juice, order big quantities of the flavour you like, and replacement T3 heads @ €2ea or cartos @ €2 each. You will get between 1 - 2 weeks out of those things.

The twist set itself, should last you over a year, if you look after it and charge it properly.

So initial outlay would be €75

Then every 2-3 weeks or more, juice & clearos or carts, price dependent on what you like but rough guess = €40 per month.

IF, you decide you like vaping, which you will, and after a month you feel need a better vape than the one you're getting from this setup, which you may or may not, there are tonnes of options to look at then.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

as starter i recommend the more slimmer batteries!
    as any 18XXX battery mod may be too heavy and bulky

get 2 x eGo twist 900mah ( can adjust voltage to your needs have one in use and the other charging)
    get a USB charger with that
    Get 1x Vivi Mini Nova, and maybe 3-5 spare heads after you tried the 3 that come with it and select your favorite.
    Get 1x CE4 style and 1-2 Kanger T2/T3

Thats a basic setup and has a nice spread.

Now liquids get ca 5x with 12mg-20mg strength, at least 1 tobacco and 1 menthol, rest be creative!

With this setup you have a nice spread and backorder spares and liquids as you like em!

EDIT: very much inline with poster above me that beat me to it, still starters: ViVi Mini, KangT2/3 > Cartos

Cheerio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

pmcmahon wrote: »
    If i was starting again

Device
    SS Vamo
    E-fest 18350 batteries X4
    Trustfire charger

Option 1
    AGR Carto Tank
    Boge XL cartos X4
    Carto Punch

Option 2
    Vivi Nova STV
    Vivi nova heads (pack of 3)

Juices from different vendors,T-juice,highbrow or house of liquid

That would set you back about 140 with juice,but it will last longer and you wouldn't require much upgrading unless you wanted to get into rebuilding.

I have to agree with this as a solid 'bang for buck' between the twist kit and the higher end stuff, vape performance is on par with provari or the many custom mods available and at a very decent price point. Get both options to see which type you like best.

However...

superneat wrote: »
    As I recommend to all smokers who see me vaping, and ask what they should get, I'll say an ego twist set for €56 is the best thing to start on, bar none.

<snip>

IF, you decide you like vaping, which you will, and after a month you feel need a better vape than the one you're getting from this setup, which you may or may not, there are tonnes of options to look at then.

:cool:

I have to agree with this for a virginVaper™, if you get the twist kit, it serves as a great introduction to vaping, the cheapest, most versatile starter pack available to us here in Ireland.

After you commit to vaping and forgo the cigs, it serves as a solid backup to carry with you/have in the car after you upgrade to the better/best stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Love the virginVaper™ reference!

I'd always recommend the Twist Kanger kit. Value for money can't be beaten, you get to sample what flavours you want and even if you do decide to move to big tube mods, it's always great to have twist batteries as a back up/for a night in the pub etc

plenty to read now.... hehe.

bottom line is big mods (Vamo Provari) are very good but heavy, expensive and bulky.
    eGo Twists are the perfect starter variable voltage batteries.
    as atomisers, the kangers cartos and mini novas.
    get plenty eliquids to try out what tickles your fancy!

The only thing i don't like about the kanger is,and i've seen it happen with friends.After a month you're going to get a vamo or similar,so you're going to be buying twice where as if you start with the upgrade,that'll keep you going for a longer time.Kangers can be a pain in the arse as well,thats another problem.

• Advertisement

Not everyone is going to need bigger and better. I know a few people who've only used the twists/kangers and have no intention of ever upgrading, even after months of use.

Look at all the people who know nothing about PV's or APV's or anything remotely better than a ciga-like!

I know a fella who's been using a ciga-like for 6 months! He has no interest in using anything else and whilst deep inside I know he could enjoy a better vape for half the cost of those yokes, whatever keeps him off the fags is the best thing for him.

aye too many people on forums project onto new or potential vapers.
    people who get "into" vaping can like the hobbyist exploratory side of it but most people are just going to want something simple that works to keep them off fags

/trog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Well he said he didn't want to purchase again, otherwise I would've assumed my natural role of Kangertwist pusher extraordinaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

honestly.. a new vaper has no business getting a provari unless they have buckets of money and no debts to pay off

a couple of twists, or a vamo/evic..whatever but a provari should always be something you decide to get after you've been vaping a while and don't see yourself stopping for a few years. then it becomes a worthwhile investment.

After spending well over $150 on devices within less than a year, between upgrading, accidents, failures etc .. I'd say a Provari is a very worthwhile investment. At the end of the day it costs 2/4 weeks worth of smoking fags, which ain't all that much in the grand scheme of things.

And then theres the resale value. Don't wanna vape anymore ? .. there will be a line to snap it up second hand at a decent price.
    Not everyone is going to need bigger and better. I know a few people who've only used the twists/kangers and have no intention of ever upgrading, even after months of use.

The fact is though that they will have to at some point with a twist or ego, and rather than just replace a battery for a fiver, the entire unit will need to be replaced. Under reasonably heavy usage I found most batteries drop their usefulness value after a max of 6 months.

Just for the record for someone completely non-technical (my father in law) a simple atty ego battery and driptip works exactly how he likes as opposed to a Ego Cart which needed to be refilled (he was always vaping it dry and ended up with a really bad cough for weeks!)

He *gets* that you need to top up the atty, where with the tank or clearo he just didn't really understand the concept.

superneat wrote: »

Look at all the people who know nothing about PV's or APV's or anything remotely better than a ciga-like!

I know a fella who's been using a ciga-like for 6 months! He has no interest in using anything else and whilst deep inside I know he could enjoy a better vape for half the cost of those yokes, whatever keeps him off the fags is the best thing for him.
    people who get "into" vaping can like the hobbyist exploratory side of it but most people are just going to want something simple that works to keep them off fags

/trog

I know i know,people get on fine with the twists and other cigalikes etc etc.However,the poster has a knowledge of the devices on the market,he wants an upgrade device otherwise we wouldn't be on the provari trail.I just think it's a waste of money for him to buy a starter kit he's going to throw in a drawer when he does upgrades a month down the road.It's far more practical for him to start on an upgrade device.

As he said,he doesn't want to buy twice.

if someone says they dont mind spending a bit of money they mean 50-maybe 80 quid, maybe 80 quid.. it's a lot of money compared to the cheaper "deals" you see online all the time on groupon or the disposables in shops

they don't mean 200 on the provari, tenner on the charger, 30 on the batteries etc etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Sorry, just saw the word 'virgin'.
    Thought someone was selling virgins or something.
    Carry on :-P

if someone says they dont mind spending a bit of money they mean 50-maybe 80 quid, maybe 80 quid.. it's a lot of money compared to the cheaper "deals" you see online all the time on groupon or the disposables in shops

they don't mean 200 on the provari, tenner on the charger, 30 on the batteries etc etc :)

I never mentioned him buying a provari,i wouldn't even bother with a provari.If he buys a kanger kit he's going to end up buying a vamo anyway.

Vamo-43
    4 batteries-16
    charger-10
    tank/cartos or clearo and heads- 20

89 euro

Why anybody would suggest him buying a kanger kit,when he doesn't mind paying for something decent that he won't have to replace or upgrade on top of that i don't understand.

well a vamo isn't exactly discreet. if they dont care about that then the vamo probably is the better choice but most people coming straight from cigarettes tend not to want a huge device.

I would never recommend a Provari to someone who hasn't spent even 24hrs vaping.

The twist is the best startoff because it's less than the price of a week of smoking, then, if the vaper decides they would like to drop 200 notes on a well made piece of kit like a Provari, then they will have an excellent backup device as well.
    Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Sorry, just saw the word 'virgin'.
    Thought someone was selling virgins or something.
    Carry on :-P

Your too late pal, there was a list over on vaporwall for virgins, but it's closed now, sorry.

I'm down for two though :P
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    Why anybody would suggest him buying a kanger kit,when he doesn't mind paying for something decent that he won't have to replace or upgrade on top of that i don't understand.

Has he ever seen a Vamo? Or held a Vamo?
    Great device for couch vaping, but a first time vaper going out in public with something that looks like a weapon, and heavy enough to be considered one, not advisable.

Most people just want something that works, not everyone needs or wants to upgrade to a big battery mod. If the OP doesn't ever upgrade, then he'll have paid the best possible price for a start up kit in the twist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

The ProVari, Vamo, eVic etc are all great devices, but if you buy just one, then the possibility of failure of the device means that the first time vaper will have no backup.

If you are new to vaping, you *need* two of everything.

The kanger kit gives you that at 56 quid.

After that, take your time, go to a vape meet, try some devices, juice samples, read/watch reviews and then buy something you will like.

Oh, do yourself a favour and buy a dripper!

agree completely, i ended up with 2 provaries eventually, had 4 egos 2 twists, basic lavatube, box mod etc.
    for me right now provari (in 18500 mode) + Vivi Nova (any large type) is the quickest to fill and long lasting,
    besides my rebuildables mostly for home and fun

i could have saved some cash but boi i liked the journey, at least healthier!

the girlfriend on the other hand wouldnt even dream of running around with anything bigger than a twist 900 setup.
    Mini Nova + twist for her and fully happy

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

OP, I started this less than a week ago and having spent a few months thinking about it and looking at all the various devices. I can't give you any expert advice on devices etc but I can tell you what my experience has been as a newbie vaper.

I got a starter kit (imist). I did consider more advanced options because like you I didn't want to get something and then have to upgrade in a couple of months and even as I ordered the starter kit I was wondering whether the choice was right. But as soon as I started using it my whole perspective changed completely. I didn't care if I was having a good vaping experience or whether I would have been better with a different device - all that I cared about was that what I had worked and was delivering enough nicotine to enable to stop smoking cigarettes. Similarly with all the different flavours of juice - I ordered quite a few but when it came down to it I've only used one or two - mainly menthol ones. Again, I didn't really care what they tasted like, and I couldn't really taste them anyway, I just wanted to get nicotine into me. I got from 30-40 rollies a day down to 1 in three days (can't seem to shake that first thing in the morning one yet but I'll get there). So for me the starter kit was perfect and I have no regrets at all.

Personally, I think the time to think about advanced devices and different juices and all that stuff is not at the beginning when you're just trying to get off the smokes, it's later on when you're used to vaping and better able to make those decisions. I'm not at that point yet and I might be happily using the same kit in six months time, I just don't know yet. This of course is just my experience and might not be the same for you or anyone else.

Whatever you decide, very good luck with it. You'll be delighted you tried it, it's a great feeling to leave the cigarettes behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Thankyou all so much for your advice!

I decided to wander down to the ovale shop on gardiner street yesterday and ended up purchasing an ego-c starter kit along with a couple of clearomizers.

I know I said I wanted to buy quality and not have to change again, but frankly I decided to strike while to iron was hot and I was in the mindset of getting if the "analogues".

I got some tobacco flavoured dekang juices as part of the starter pack which I wasn't overly mad about. But luckily, a bloke came in to buy some juice while I was there and highly recommended the ovale tobacco cognac. All I can say is that it's like heaven! I had 8 smokes left when I bought the ego-c and I haven't touched them since. I actually fecked them in the bin an hour ago!

My only worry now is running out of juice and clearos! How often should a clearo last me? I know that the juice thing is entirely down to how much I vape!

Also, best Irish site to buy some juices and clearos from??

Thanks again folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

E. Fudd wrote: »
    My only worry now is running out of juice and clearos! How often should a clearo last me? I know that the juice thing is entirely down to how much I vape!

Also, best Irish site to buy some juices and clearos from??

Clearomizers are funny things, you could get anything from two days to a whole month out of one before the wick and coil burns itself out.
    As far as I know the wick and coil parts are hand-made (by their thousands) so any part of the wick or coil that is too short/too thin can result in a very short lifespan - it's human error if you think about it.

Some clearo's can be rebuilt (Kanger T2, T3, Vivi Nova, Mini Nova and I'm sure lots of others) as can atomizers (the Aga range, the Igo range, Genesis, Phoenix etc) by the user, with silicone wick, Kanthal wire (nichrome wire) or stainless steel mesh.
    Of course this is not probably something you want to bother yourself about atm but I bought silicone and Kanthal with my first order, just to have it and when my first T3 burnt out I rebuilt the head (although I had many more) for practice and it worked perfectly, first attempt. YouTube is your friend.

A lot of forum posters here use Boge cartomizers and swear by them. They're an alternative to clearo's but the atomizers that they are screwed into need to be rebuilt.

Most clearo's have 'heads' which can be bought as replacements rathar than rebuilding. The head for T3 for example costs €2 to buy. You won't need to keep buying the entire T3, just the heads...or rebuild them.

As for how much juice you will use - I smoked between 20-25 a day and I now get through about 2/2.5ml's a day. That's between 14-18mls a week.
    So I get a bit more than a week out of a 20ml bottle you could say.
    That's just an example for you.

There are quite a few vendors in Ireland to choose from.
    http://www.vapingireland.com/Home/Vendors
    This is a list taken from 'Where To Buy' at the top of the page Sticky.
    Not all are listed there but do a Google-Pages From Ireland search of e-cigarettes and you'll find more.

http://www.healthiersmoker.ie/en/ has good quality and nice prices on liquid btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ben36

/trog
    Couldn't agree more with this.i'm coming up to 4 months off the smokes now thanks to the kanger twist and I don't want anything else or need anything else to help me as I find this to do the job perfectly.a couple of spare batteries and heads is all the extras I've bought.

I toyed with the idea of getting the provari at Xmas but thought what was the point when the kanger does everything I need to it to do.i was a 40 a day smoker spending €18 a day.ive put that money away every day since the day I gave up and now have just over €2k there all thanks to the simple kanger t-2 twist

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

ben36 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with this.i'm coming up to 4 months off the smokes now thanks to the kanger twist and I don't want anything else or need anything else to help me as I find this to do the job perfectly.a couple of spare batteries and heads is all the extras I've bought.

I toyed with the idea of getting the provari at Xmas but thought what was the point when the kanger does everything I need to it to do.i was a 40 a day smoker spending €18 a day.ive put that money away every day since the day I gave up and now have just over €2k there all thanks to the simple kanger t-2 twist

I'd tend to agree - the one thing that most of the newer kit has in common is that it all basically works and does its job (not like the stuff a couple of years ago).
    If someone buys decent quality batteries and clearomizers or cartomizers or a decent drip setup - the odds that it will work - and if they can't get it to work they should spend a little bit of time understanding the kit - and if that doesn't work go back to the supplier - and get their help.
    Someone shouldn't switch to a different kit/setup or give up on vaping unless they have exhausted the above first.
    It helps as well once you have a working setup that you're happy with to have a backup of everything (including a charger)
    That way if you have a problem it doesn't get in the way of vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Just one pointer from me - if you find a juice you like in the first week, don't go buying loads of it, expecting to continue liking it - you may, or you may find (as I have) that your tastes change a lot in the first few weeks off the stinkies. Give it a while for your tastebuds to recover from smoking, and you may find you enjoy flavours you never imagined liking :)

Advertisement