Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash vacuum

Options
  • 26-03-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me where is the best place to buy an ash vacuum in galway? and if you have one what is your experience of it (and what type it is)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

B&Q have them

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

Is it a vacuum with a tank you need?
    B&Q do some DIY versions of these

If it's something more industrial you need, then the usual suspects of Caulfields/Production Equipment should have something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I bought one and stopped using it, the ash gets clogged in the hose and the biggest problem was emptying it from the container into a bag its messy, and cleaning the filter is terrible its not worth the hassle its fine if you have a small amount of ash but which fire has that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We have an ashmaster, but don't use it now due to a change in the type of fireplace we have.

If you want to try one before you buy one, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I bought one and stopped using it, the ash gets clogged in the hose and the biggest problem was emptying it from the container into a bag its messy, and cleaning the filter is terrible its not worth the hassle its fine if you have a small amount of ash but which fire has that.

what kind did you buy?

• Advertisement

juicet3rry wrote: »
    Is it a vacuum with a tank you need?
    B&Q do some DIY versions of these

If it's something more industrial you need, then the usual suspects of Caulfields/Production Equipment should have something

its only for the house.

do b&q do their own ash vac or do they have a selection? any reviews? was looking online today and didnt see any ash vacs. maybe i was looking in the wrong section

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I think we got ours in Kavanaghs on Market Street.

Fey! wrote: »
    I think we got ours in Kavanaghs on Market Street.

do you use it still? is it any good?

been reading reviews of these things and the quality seems to vary dramatically

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

its only for the house.

do b&q do their own ash vac or do they have a selection? any reviews? was looking online today and didnt see any ash vacs. maybe i was looking in the wrong section

I saw one up there months ago but Woodies also have one. I haven't used one so I couldn't comment on reliability.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/De-Vielle-Double-Chamber-Stainless-Steel-Ash-Vac-Cleaner/17424/3.5.13

juicet3rry wrote: »
    I saw one up there months ago but Woodies also have one. I haven't used one so I couldn't comment on reliability.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/De-Vielle-Double-Chamber-Stainless-Steel-Ash-Vac-Cleaner/17424/3.5.13

thanks for that but i just cant find any reliable reviews online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

I have one and don't use it either. It's too much hassle cleaning the filter after every time you use it. The one I have has the motor built in. I don't think the type without the motor are any better. I have a stove and now use an Ash Safe box. I just empty the pan into it every day and at the end of the week I put the ashes into a black bag and then into the bin. Much less hassle than the Ash Vac and a lot less expensive. Trust me don't waste your money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fixer Upper

The Ash box looks pretty good without the vacuum problems. Check out: http://www.ashclear.com/

The Ash box looks pretty good without the vacuum problems. Check out: http://www.ashclear.com/

seems to be no info about the product on the website. what exactly is it? how does it work?

Easiest thing is to buy an aluminium bucket with a lid, put your ash into it and when full empty into a bag and into your grey bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, I got a metal bucket with lid and metal ash shovel before from Woodies/B&Q. Just remember to keep bucket on something that can take the heat from hot ash until it's cold and can be thrown in the black bin.

Easiest thing is to buy an aluminium bucket with a lid, put your ash into it and when full empty into a bag and into your grey bin.

this is what i do!!!!!

i just find that getting the ash into the bucket gets the room all dusty, and i'm pretty careful and slow when i do this. i must be breathing in all this crap too when im just stitting down watching telly

i have my doubts about these ash vacs. i have read reviews of plenty of them on amazon. the best reviewed ones would cost over €100 and a good chunk of that is shipping. the most common one i have seen in galway is the deville one, available in woodies and b&q, but i have yet to see any online reviews for it. i would prefer to get one here, as its easier to return if something goes wrong, or its a piece of junk, but if i cant get some feedback on it first im not goinng to purchase it

biko wrote: »
    Indeed, I got a metal bucket with lid and metal ash shovel before from Woodies/B&Q. Just remember to keep bucket on something that can take the heat from hot ash until it's cold and can be thrown in the black bin.

lets try and keep it on topic, eh? ;)

I guarantee you once you use it you will not be able to return it, the dust and the mess it makes when trying to clean it out and the filter is the worst bit, after one use of it the filter was clogged with ash, there was ash all over the inside of the hose so forget about bringing it back, I leave the bucket outside bring out the tray of ash and fill it into the bucket no mess in the living room or whatever fire you are cleaning.

I guarantee you once you use it you will not be able to return it, the dust and the mess it makes when trying to clean it out and the filter is the worst bit, after one use of it the filter was clogged with ash, there was ash all over the inside of the hose so forget about bringing it back, I leave the bucket outside bring out the tray of ash and fill it into the bucket no mess in the living room or whatever fire you are cleaning.

what type do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

As has been said, the Ash Safe is best.

It's just a metal box with lid. You lay it flat, slide the ash pan inside and close the lid. Then you pick it up, give a few seconds for ash to drop into the box, open the lid and carefully slide the pan out, close the lid and that's it.

Always remember to make sure that if hot ashes going in, make sure it's on something safe.
    Then the box can be emptied straight away or left until full.

So simple.

• Advertisement

i never seem to have a problem with hot ash. its jsut the dust from cleaning it when its cooled. that goes everywhere!!

i never seem to have a problem with hot ash. its jsut the dust from cleaning it when its cooled. that goes everywhere!!

That's the beauty of an ash safe. It doesn't!

how big is it? my sitting room is pretty small

Different sizes to fit the size of your ash pan.
    Any half way decent hardware shop should have them

seems to be no info about the product on the website. what exactly is it? how does it work?

You open a door on the side and slot in your ash pan, turn a handle and it flips the pan over emptying it inside and avoiding the dust problem. :-)

I don't have one myself but have heard good things....

You open a door on the side and slot in your ash pan, turn a handle and it flips the pan over emptying it inside and avoiding the dust problem. :-)

I don't have one myself but have heard good things....

Hmm, that sounds a lot bigger, and costlier, than the one I have.

Mine is just a box that's a little bit bigger all round than the ash tray.

Pic attached.

Mine is just a box that's a little bit bigger all round than the ash tray.

Pic attached.

Different strokes for different folks I guess! :-) the ash clear one will def keep the dust down though.....

Different strokes for different folks I guess! :-) the ash clear one will def keep the dust down though.....

I didn't come across anything other than the type I have when I was looking, but I have to say that I don't get any ash flying around from mine, as simple as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 insomnia109

Hi Guys,

Ash Clear’s solution is where the tray from stove, etc is placed inside the Ash Clear ash box and is flipped internally to allow the ash to drop. All contained inside the box- neither spills nor ash cloud. It is not available in hardware shops etc yet. The website www.ashclear.com is still under construction. Hope this helps you chuky_r_law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 TomBatxc

I think Fix Upper meant an ash can filter or ash separator. More info here http://ashvacuumreview.com/ash-separator-ash-can-filter/

Advertisement