Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surviving without technology books?

Options
  • 26-03-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I was hoping someone on here could recommend a good book on surviving in a world without technology. I wouldn't regard myself as a prepper but at the same time i would be interested in what people would need to do if society ever broke down. many sources i have come across on the web recommend the same tactics.. get bug out bag seek out shelter etc.. but i already have a house and a means to hunt for food so i really only need to arm myself with information. i suppose with all the fighting talk coming out of north korea at the moment, nuclear fallout is something i would like to know how to protect myself from but other than that Im only concerned with a situation where I would need to be completely self reliant ie have no emergency services to rely on (gardai, civil defence etc).
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I don't have any personal book recommendations, but the first thing I would do in your situation is to trip off all the power to your house and see what happens. Then keep it like that for the day. Then consider a week of that. How would you cope and what would you need to do to adapt and overcome the issue?

Books may well be a bit broad for your individual circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

There are a lot of books recommended and a lot in pdf format on this thread you might find something that helps
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056421086

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

http://www.ps-survival.com/

lots to read there. in reasonably single topic format

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

And if it's nuclear fallout you're worried about, watch the BBC film, Threads. From the 80s and my goodness it's bleak. I ended up giving it away to someone when I'd watched it because I couldn't stand the thought of watching it again. It certainly changed some aspects of my attitude towards prepping.

Advertisement