Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ableton Setup for Hardware Synth

Options
  • 26-03-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭

Ok so I bought my first hardware synth a Doepfer Dark Energy 2. Opened it up last night to play around with it (still tired after a weekend in Berlin) an managed to get sound out of the unit through my soundcard into Ableton's external instrument. I now have a constant wave coming into Ableton.

My question is how do I send midi information to the hardware? I have a midi cable connected from the synth to my mac and have can see the unit in the dropdown menu for "midi to". So I have "audio from" - soundcard input & "midi to" - External USB Device.

Note: The synth i connected to a powered USB hub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

If you hit some keys on the midi device you should see some small squares flashing up top right. If that's good then head to the midi channel you've assigned input and look for the monitoring section (maybe collapsed which you can reveal with the buttons to the far right of mixer)

Click 'In' and that should receive the midi from the controller and send it out to the midi out you've selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Nice one will give this a try later, if I can't solve it I will spend a bit of time to give a more detailed description of the issue.

Tearing my hair out here, what am i doing wrong? I can't get the Doepfer to take the midi signal Im sending it and return a non constant sound. 6ab1f7ee230dcb4f6663bc03be703933.png?1364324460

Tearing my hair out here, what am i doing wrong? I can't get the Doepfer to take the midi signal Im sending it and return a non constant sound. 6ab1f7ee230dcb4f6663bc03be703933.png?1364324460

Press the greyed out 1 button at bottom

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Press the greyed out 1 button at bottom

Turn off remote also for the midi controllers also - that's remote sync/tempo etc

• Advertisement

Plus, try another track without the external instrument.

Setup 1 to do the midi and one audio one to capture the sound.

In the midi surface etc up top - select the middle column and device there.

You're in 8 so restart it if you've only just plugged the controllers in - don't try and do anything until the lights show up in top right when you play a key on your controller (meaning it's getting in there)

Think I got it working.

I needed to hold down midi learn on the unit & turn the VCA all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Ha:) I'm having similar setup in Ableton fun with the Dark Energy;) That VCO all the way down is easy to miss when you're tired. Thankfully the manual is pretty concise.

How you getting on with yours... like, are you getting powerful sounds? Also what software effects (if any) are you adding to it to get and even more crazy sound? Some machine:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement