Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options as a mature student?

Options
  • 26-03-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can clear up some mature student questions I have.. I'm looking to go to College part time as a mature student but finding it a bit hard to find clear info online. Colleges I've contacted are just sending me more links and email addresses to mail, it's seeming like an endless loop :confused:

Pretty much I'm working full time Mon-Fri and want to go back and do a course to further my education. Just wondering what I need to do/have to have this option available to me, and any info anyone can provide on the average cost of this? (I know it differs from course to course etc but just a rough idea from someone whose done it before)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Iano_128 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can clear up some mature student questions I have.. I'm looking to go to College part time as a mature student but finding it a bit hard to find clear info online. Colleges I've contacted are just sending me more links and email addresses to mail, it's seeming like an endless loop :confused:

Pretty much I'm working full time Mon-Fri and want to go back and do a course to further my education. Just wondering what I need to do/have to have this option available to me, and any info anyone can provide on the average cost of this? (I know it differs from course to course etc but just a rough idea from someone whose done it before)

Well other than money the requirements differ from course to course, what do you want to study? Im doing IT with Oscail atm, distance learning has its pros and cons tbh, plenty of threads about it on boards. Price wise for the oscail IT course is about €820 aprox per module, with 14 modules to degree level, but you pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

It depends on the course you want to do. Cost, time commitments and entry requirements will all vary. Additionally if you have related work experience in the course area some colleges can take that on board and may offer you exemptions from aspects of the courses. What is it you are looknig at studying?

Have you looked at qualifax? Its the national courses database and has info on all 3rd level courses in the country including part-time options.

http://www.qualifax.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been in IT for the past 3 years and it's clearly the way forward so I would like to get a degree in IT, one I have seen and am keen on is "Bachelor of Science in IT Management" in ITT. I have emailed the department head so I will see what he comes back with, hopefully getting a place wouldn't be too hard considering I have good relevant experience.

Advertisement