Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking into insulating external walls in apartment...

Options
  • 26-03-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking into getting the walls in my apartment insulated due to noise and heat loss.

At the moment i'm looking at the warmcel option to avoid removing all the plastering to install insulating panels, but I'm open to suggestions. the sounds are mainly traffic outside and people walking/door slamming inside the building.

I'd like to know also the price per metre of wall, or per sq.m, to calculate costs.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

What about the management rules etc ..... usually they are very strict about external alterations.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

I thought this could be done through the interior, in the case of warmcel by making holes on the plaster and filling the gap with the insulating material.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sorry i totally misread your post and thought it said external insulation.... :D

Warmcel is basically a blown cellulose insulation, i dont think it would work on the external walls of your aprtment in the manner you describe, obviously the wall makeup would need to be checked but in these situations its usually insulated plasterboard in the only real option , and that does require plastering afterwards.

Warmcell would require a large void behind the plasterboard on the external walls. I cant imagine you would have this large void.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

Well in order to get a big tv wall mounted in one of the rooms i drilled a hole and probed with a chopstick to reach the concrete outer wall. I wasn't able so i assume the gap is quite big, at least on that wall. How big is the gap needed?

In regards of the insulated plasterboard, do you know approx how much is it per panel/sq m and how much it'd be for the installation? I need to get an idea of how much this would damage my wallet :)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement