Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Genealogy.ie relaunch

• 26-03-2013 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

http://92.243.1.80/en/

Got to hand it to them - yet another Government website that doesn't work or is it just me? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It's working fine for me - I just put in my surname and got the 'Portal Page' - all those links worked also. At the bottom of the page it gave two variants of my surname and suggested that I also search under those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

More records would have been nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I’ve had another look at that 'relaunched' site. Regardless of the name, gender or any other search parameters input , you are auto re-directed to a page with 13 listed sites, each linked off-site and located anywhere from Australia to New York; some are free, others fee paying, some are nonsense - how realistic is a search of the photo archive of 'Women in 20th c Ireland' when your have input John Murphy? Or 'Soldiers' wills' when Mary Murphy is input? Also, there is no 'hot' correlation between the initial input and those external sites, no pre-population of data, etc. And of course there is the typical ‘con’ of small print that is beyond the interest or comprehension of many amateurs and most foreigners. I mean, with no disrespect to them, how many Americans have difficulty differentiating between Cork and ‘Cork County’, let alone realizing that the records of SOME of its parishes are not available online?
    Compare the simplicity of the ScotlandsPeople's business model, a home page, with fully connected and logical links, accessible data and a fair fee structure ...
    Why cannot those Arts Heritage Gtacht do something, even simple things, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

ScotlandsPeople's

One of the best genealogical websites on the Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I've been using the church records part of the site for the past few months and found it quite good and easy to use but since the relaunch all the search results just load endlessly and it looks much messier. Why ruin something that was half decent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Kerry burial records are just as incomplete as they were when they were first released, and the 1798 onwards announcement was complete BS, as many of the ones that I've seen don't go further back than the 1950s, and that's if you're lucky.

I suppose the plug got pulled on the various CE schemes that employed those doing the transcribing, so I'm not expecting any updates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Does anyone else find the church records section worse now? I'm still getting the same list but trying to click on any individual record overlays that with the list and I ended up opening in a new tab.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Just looking at that now pinky - it's appalling!
    Among other things the option to sort by Relevance or Date is hidden.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've tried using their Feedback link to complain but it doesn't appear to work either.
    I shudder to think how much money was wasted on this project when resources are so limited at the moment and so many projects are being shelved owing to lack of funding.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Does anyone else find the church records section worse now? I'm still getting the same list but trying to click on any individual record overlays that with the list and I ended up opening in a new tab.

they seem to have fixed this (over a long weekend?) - now working as before for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

John Grenham talks about the new site in this weeks blog post.

He says that "the best way to see the revamp is as a start" and I think this is a good point. They are essentially trying to condense a 'How To' book worth of information into a few pages that will lure the beginner with Irish ancestry.

Just received a response to my complaint about irishgenealogy.ie
    Many thanks for your comments and apologies for the delay in responding. I hope that this issue has now been resolved for you. You might let us know if you are still encountering difficulties.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

How come a site like Roots can seem to have records from all over the country but the genealogy ireland only has a few counties ?

Also the circa 1900 cut off is very annoying.

Sorry, Rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How come a site like Roots can seem to have records from all over the country but the genealogy ireland only has a few counties ?

Sorry, Rant over

Simple answer: bishops.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Sorry, Rant over

Well, the 1900 cutoff is due to when the microfilms end and also that civil records would do nicely by then. It's 1880 in more parishes than the latter date. After this you can approach the parish very nicely to ask for a look-up.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Ive actually been very lucky when approaching parishes. Email requests have been answered quickly and the records given.

Advertisement