Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options in Navan

Options
  • 26-03-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I live about a mile outside Navan. We are living here nearly three months. We signed up to Eircoms broadband and were told we would only get up to 3meg download speeds and we were happy to go with that. But we are getting no where near 3meg we are actually only getting 0.86meg.

So to cut a long story short I'm close to getting the contact terminated. So if I do choose to have it terminated what are my options for a broadband service? I'm about a mile out the slane road. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I would give http://www.digiweb.ie a call about their Metro service, I am near the slane side of Navan, we have had the service for the past 6 years very happy with it. Its a microwave system, our regular speeds are around 18mb down and 1mb up. We also ported our landline to the Metro system, so we dont pay landline rental anymore. and at around €45 a month with a 100gb rolling cap its good value, and much better than the times wewent through eircom/bt etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I live about a mile outside Navan. We are living here nearly three months. We signed up to Eircoms broadband and were told we would only get up to 3meg download speeds and we were happy to go with that. But we are getting no where near 3meg we are actually only getting 0.86meg.

So to cut a long story short I'm close to getting the contact terminated. So if I do choose to have it terminated what are my options for a broadband service? I'm about a mile out the slane road. Thanks!

UPC if you can get it, best speed and quality IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Furp wrote: »
    I would give http://www.digiweb.ie a call about their Metro service, I am near the slane side of Navan, we have had the service for the past 6 years very happy with it. Its a microwave system, our regular speeds are around 18mb down and 1mb up. We also ported our landline to the Metro system, so we dont pay landline rental anymore. and at around €45 a month with a 100gb rolling cap its good value, and much better than the times wewent through eircom/bt etc

Is it suitable for Netflix and playing games on line? And how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Yep I use it for Netflix, Xbox Live, Itunes, VPN, VOIP plus many others, infact many times in online games I end up being the host.

Furp wrote: »
    Yep I use it for Netflix, Xbox Live, Itunes, VPN, VOIP plus many others, infact many times in online games I end up being the host.

So it's a satellite system? Does it get effected by the weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

No, I've been using Digiweb metro for years now and haven't experienced any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Metro is not satellite, it is fixed wireless, there will be an antenna attached to your house and pointed in the direction of a local highsite - basically a mast on a hill or tall building.

The antenna will need to be able to "see" the mast and vice versa so trees or buildings could prevent you getting the service.

AFAIK the digiweb highsite for the Navan area is at the mast in the ESB yard on the windtown road, as is Imagines Breeze(don't know if they still sell this even though it definitely still runs as have family on it), Wimax is on Super Valu in Johnstown)

Just had a Digiweb engineer come out to the house and he tells me not a hope of getting metro broadband. There's too many trees in the way.

So back to square one, any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just had a Digiweb engineer come out to the house and he tells me not a hope of getting metro broadband. There's too many trees in the way.

Cut down the trees. :)

Did you try UPC? Look for the boards offer as well if they can reach you

• Advertisement

UPC use the phone line right? If Eircom can't supply decent broadband what hope have UPC? Hope I'm wrong though!

UPC use the phone line right? If Eircom can't supply decent broadband what hope have UPC? Hope I'm wrong though!

Err no, they use Fibre Cable 50-150mb and its miles better than Eircom who barely do 24mb

Through the use of a cable modem you can access a broadband internet connection that is designed to work over HFC network. This works by using TV channel space for transferring data upstream and downstream. Because we use coaxial cable, our technology can provide greater bandwidth than telephone lines and so we can provide significantly faster access to the web than DSL operators who provide their service over copper pairs.

As our broadband is provided over our own network a phone line is not required so our customers do not need to pay line rental to other operators to avail of our service.

So it might be available on my road? I'll ring in the morning.

No UPC where I'm living.

Looking like I'll have to go for a cheap rubbish dongle type broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

You're not the only one in that boat... 1mb eircom here with no hope of a faster service in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Sorry to hijack the thread but rather than create a new one thought I'd ask here. Is Eircom really bad? I've just signed up with them and waiting on the technician to call me and come round to install. There are phone points in my apartment but apparantly they were never activated, so does that limit who I can go with? I only use the internet for the usual like, Boards, Faceache, YouTube, Spotify and browsing.

Advertisement