Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temping Work

Options
  • 26-03-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I've taken a crappy temping job and I am starting tomorrow! In the mean time I am getting calls for decent,perm jobs.

I already have turned down one interview due to temping starting tomorrow.

I now need to call back another company which I feel are going to invite me to interview (I can't really say to my new temping company I need time off immediately to interview for other roles).

Any good advice on how to manage this situation? I feel I will get more calls over the next week or two.

Work is thru agency and I'd say the company I am starting with will want me to show 100% commitment to them even though they have only said my role is week to week.

I have bills to pay - hence i took temping!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tell them you'd love to take an interview but you need it to be before or after work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

bluewolf wrote: »
    Tell them you'd love to take an interview but you need it to be before or after work

My CV ain't so good I can demand that kind of treatment but worth a shot I suppose :)

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your temping is week-by-week: show up every day for a couple of weeks and make the client happy, and you might be surprised just how accommodating the temping agency can be (eg putting in someone else for a 1/2 day).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

My CV ain't so good I can demand that kind of treatment but worth a shot I suppose :)

Anyone else?

You don't demand, you request. Your CV might not be great, but it wa good enough to get you called for interview and get you the temping gig, so don't underestimate yourself.

Many companies are open to the fact that if you are working you may need to interview early in the morning, in the evening or during lunch. Personally, I am more impressed if someone says to me 'it's a really busy time at the moment in my current employment and I'd rather not take time off at short notice as this will be ery inconvenient for the rest of the team - would it be possible to schedule an interview for as early in the morning as possible?' It shows that they want the job, but are not prepared to cause headaches for their current employer. Or even say - I'm temping at the moment, and I don't want to let the agency or the employer down - can we schedule a morning, evening or lunch appointment?

They will either say yes or no. But at least you will have tried.

Even if it is a 9.00am interview, depending on where it is, you might be able to be at work within 90 mins.

If you then explain to the manager where you are temping that you need a couple of hours off for an interview they might agree. I know that when we have temps here and if we know that they won't be needed permanently I would never stand in their way of getting a permanent job.

Advertisement