Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Problem? Or not.

• 26-03-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I used to have 30mb BB, worked fine, 3MB UP/30 Down.

I upgraded to 100 meg and have had nothing but issues.

UPC kindly resolved my latency issues and I get 100mb download nicely now since they changed my modem again.

However my upload is still all over the place. Speed tests fail 50% of the time, failed to read upload speeds. I am supposed to be getting 8-10mb up but I get about 1 when it works.

Now I never had a problem with the 30mb like this. So either both modems UPC gave me are borked or I have a problem on my line.

UPC have since said there is nothing more they can do and that it is up to my management company for the building to fix the line between my apt and the box where it connects building to the external.

Is anyone experiencing this with the cisco modems for the 50+BB or am I on a wild goose chase getting the management company to fix my line. Been going on for months now and starting to get on my nerves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

The Cisco modem/router they offer is ****e! Have a gander at this thread. I managed to get them to switch the Cisco for a Thompson around a month ago and I haven't had a single issue yet whereas with the Cisco I was having problems multiple times daily.

Do you have direct access to the router? If so, when you notice your connection acting up you could try plug a laptop straight into one of the Ethernet ports and do another speed test. If it still persists you know it's the router.

Another thing I noticed is it's best to use UPC's speed test. The speedtest.net one doesn't seem to cope too well with speeds over 80Mbs.

Hope ya get sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

The Cisco modem/router they offer is ****e! Have a gander at this thread. I managed to get them to switch the Cisco for a Thompson around a month ago and I haven't had a single issue yet whereas with the Cisco I was having problems multiple times daily.

Do you have direct access to the router? If so, when you notice your connection acting up you could try plug a laptop straight into one of the Ethernet ports and do another speed test. If it still persists you know it's the router.

Another thing I noticed is it's best to use UPC's speed test. The speedtest.net one doesn't seem to cope too well with speeds over 80Mbs.

Hope ya get sorted!

Cheers for the reply, yeah way past the testing stage, I have had multiple pcs on wireless an wired benching. I use the UPC test mainly. Upload issue is a 24/7 problem, 1 in 2 speed tests will pass without a fail.

My upload speed on the Cisco was around 8Mbs when it was working correctly. Since switching to the Thompson it's always 12Mbs.

I'm no networking wiz but surely if you can get 100Mbs down you should be able to get your 10Mbs up as they'd both be taking the same route through your building. Pure speculation here on my part though. Maybe someone else can speak from knowledge.

My upload speed on the Cisco was around 8Mbs when it was working correctly. Since switching to the Thompson it's always 12Mbs.

I'm no networking wiz but surely if you can get 100Mbs down you should be able to get your 10Mbs up as they'd both be taking the same route through your building. Pure speculation here on my part though. Maybe someone else can speak from knowledge.

My building management company said it us up to UPC to fix it as they installed and own the lines. UPC says otherwise. :confused: :rolleyes:

My building management company said it us up to UPC to fix it as they installed and own the lines. UPC says otherwise. :confused: :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly, my DL is fine, my UL is borked.

• Advertisement

Spoke to a manager in UPC, going to bring me out a thompson modem to see if makes a difference, thanks for the tip. Fingers crossed.

No problem. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers!

Well they sorted it for me. Finally. Was nothing to do with internal wiring.

249818.PNG

249819.PNG

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    Well they sorted it for me. Finally. Was nothing to do with internal wiring.

What was the cause?

What was the cause?

Too many people on the same line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Just to let you know, try http://speedof.me in the future. There's no plugins or flash, so it is technically the most accurate around.

Congrats on being fixed.

Advertisement