Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listening to collection remotely?

Options
  • 26-03-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

This may not be the right place for this but we'll give it a go.

What i'm looking for is a server where I can upload my music collection. Its pretty huge so I would need lots of space. Then I want to be able to listen to the database from anywhere through an android app.

Whats my best solution? Free if possible of course!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Google Music sounds exactly what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

The page is telling me its not available in Ireland yet? That cant be right surely?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

It's definitely available in Ireland.

ill certainly keep trying it.

In the meantime I got Sockso and Subsonic. Both pretty good ad very close to what im looking for, however, does anyone know of any music servers that allow you to set up different users and control what songs they can access on the server??

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I have two different users in Subsonic, with different permissions. I'm not certain it can be locked down to different libraries, but I'd be surprised if it couldn't.

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote: »
    I have two different users in Subsonic, with different permissions. I'm not certain it can be locked down to different libraries, but I'd be surprised if it couldn't.

Yeah I saw you could grand more rights for different users. I would love to allow the users to see specific playlists/albums etc only.

Do you just have it running on your own computer of have you set up a server or used their dedicated subsonic servers?

I have a HP N40L home server running CentOS that I use for that, PS3mediaserver and a lot more besides, but it can run on a Windows machine with XAMPP or similar, I should imagine. It'll need to stay on though. If you really have that many music files, it's probably time for a home server anyway. :)

dahamsta wrote: »
    I have a HP N40L home server running CentOS that I use for that, PS3mediaserver and a lot more besides, but it can run on a Windows machine with XAMPP or similar, I should imagine. It'll need to stay on though. If you really have that many music files, it's probably time for a home server anyway. :)

I was thinking as much. Are there any issues with having a server on constantly? The idea just doesn't sit well with me, I'd never leave my laptop on constantly but I suppose servers are built for that?

Apart from your energy bills, no issues. :)

Advertisement