Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert Maths foundation Level/GCSE

• 26-03-2013 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi all im in the final stretch of a lengthy recruitment process for a job in the uk and they rang me to enquire about my educational qualifications. the requirements for the job are as follows

•have GCSE English and Mathematics both at Grade C or above or equivalent;

The english is fine but when I did the leaving cert in 2006 I did Foundation maths and scored an A1,the recruiter has asked me to try and provide information stating that an A1 in foundation LC equates to a grade C gcse.

And basically im wondering if an A1 foundation LC maths equates to a grade C gcse or not,any info/links greatly appreciated as this is a potential career at risk

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

According to Qualifax:
    General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)

In terms of the GCSE the nearest Irish award is the Junior Certificate. Both GCSE and Junior Certificate awards are developed for the end of compulsory education. They both have similar progression pathways available, respectively progression to A level/Leaving Certificate or progression to further education and training. This relationship also applies in the case of the Scottish award, Intermediate.

What did you get in the Junior in Maths?
    GCSE would more closely relate to Junior Cert., so anything higher than JC would be higher than or equivalent to a GCSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

spurious wrote: »
    According to Qualifax:
    General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)

In terms of the GCSE the nearest Irish award is the Junior Certificate. Both GCSE and Junior Certificate awards are developed for the end of compulsory education. They both have similar progression pathways available, respectively progression to A level/Leaving Certificate or progression to further education and training. This relationship also applies in the case of the Scottish award, Intermediate.

What did you get in the Junior in Maths?
    GCSE would more closely relate to Junior Cert., so anything higher than JC would be higher than or equivalent to a GCSE.
    thanks for the help I got an ordinary B in the junior cert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They will have their own version of Qualifax in the UK - make sure to tell them about the B in JC.

Advertisement