Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchens- Are we being ripped off.

Options
  • 26-03-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I have been pricing kitchens for a while, nothing fancy, i just want an ivory, vinyl wrapped L shape kitchen with a mantel, integrated fridge freezer & dishwasher and a larder press with a formica counter top. room is roughly 4000 X 3700. i dont want an island and there are four well spaced 3ft X 4Ft windows in the room so only need 3 500mm wall units.

I have been given the following prices-

cash & carry €4750
    Local Guy ( Navan) €4150
    Homebase €9,000 no equipment
    all fitted-
    I have a fairly set of accurate drawings and dont want anything mad.
    Am i being ripped off, should I go up north or where else would you go.

Also i priced equipment up north- rangemaster, fridge freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, and for the same brands it works out more than a €1000.00 less. However I have a business in the south and would like to support local business.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

I have been pricing kitchens for a while, nothing fancy, i just want an ivory, vinyl wrapped L shape kitchen with a mantel, integrated fridge freezer & dishwasher and a larder press with a formica counter top. room is roughly 4000 X 3700. i dont want an island and there are four well spaced 3ft X 4Ft windows in the room so only need 3 500mm wall units.

I have been given the following prices-

cash & carry €4750
    Local Guy ( Navan) €4150
    Homebase €9,000 no equipment
    all fitted-
    I have a fairly set of accurate drawings and dont want anything mad.
    Am i being ripped off, should I go up north or where else would you go.

Also i priced equipment up north- rangemaster, fridge freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, and for the same brands it works out more than a €1000.00 less. However I have a business in the south and would like to support local business.

Give Tierneys and Kube a try both are in Balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doodles84

If you have the plans already, what about Ikea?

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Be careful with what you post and stick to the topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu

Don't go near tierneys unless you want more hassle ! IMO from Exp!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

Ikea works out quite pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

I nearly laughed when homebase gave me a quote for a kitchen, they did it with a serious face, 13 grand
    even my wife thought it was stupid money and she doesnt have a clue what that kind of thing costs.

Im not sure Ikea would work out pricey, anywhere you go it adds up as you add fittings and features.
    Ikea have nice looking stuff, different, my only concern is the cabinets, I hear they have no space behind them for plumbing drains and supply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I'd try kitchens direct in tallaght they were cheapest when we got our kitchen. Kitchen units are grand quality but wouldn't recommend them fitting it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

My sister got a fitted kitchen in IKEA last summer, she was delighted with the price. She was also impressed with the customer service, the lads who fitted it were from the North, the overall cost was in the region of 3,500 and she got a refund of items she didn't use (about €100 worth). They fitted in the dishwasher, and two sinks also. She couldn't recommend them highly enough.

I'd certainly get a quote from them if I was in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

If you are flexible and want a relatively simple layout (as mentioned) you should try locating an ex-display kitchen. Great bargains and reductions to be had, you may end up with a better quality kitchen (eg solid wood and granite tops) Try www.donedeal.ie and search 'ex display kitchen' Might get lucky!

Advertisement