Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings Interest Rate

Options
  • 26-03-2013 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

I currently have an easy saver account with BOI that has 10K in it. I went in today and was talking to a member of staff and was basically told there is no real point in saving as you wont get great interest for a while.

I also have a credit union account, but that’s mostly for small amounts and is easy if I need money for the car etc.

Can anyone recommend what bank etc would give me the best return on my money, thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Permanent TSB regular saver gives 3.5%. It works out about 2.3 once the government takes their cut of the interest so it's not bad. You can only save between €1 to €1000 a month so you'll have to feed your €10K to the account on a regular basis. Apart from that the best rate would be from state savings accounts. These are usually tax free but have a fixed term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Permanent TSB regular saver gives 3.5%. It works out about 2.3 once the government takes their cut of the interest so it's not bad. You can only save between €1 to €1000 a month so you'll have to feed your €10K to the account on a regular basis. Apart from that the best rate would be from state savings accounts. These are usually tax free but have a fixed term.[/Quote

better to put full amount if he can into fixed account as he has the money now. get around 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Is there an account I can get the 10K straight into and start earning the 3% on ?

I wouldn't touch those set time limit ones, the mother had one and got a very poor return and I don't like the idea of my money being locked for x time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Visit bonkers and fill in your criteria...

KBC Bank Smart Access Demand Account (3% on up to 100,000 euro) seems to be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Then there is ptsb 1year account at 3%. Best in the market for the term iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for all the replys and information.

I live in Blanchardstown so would prefer a bank in the area, looks like its see what BOI can do and then Permanent TSB seem to be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've been looking at some savings account options. From shopping around, it seems that many online instant-access savings accounts offer better interest than online 7-day or 30-day access accounts. Surely having restricted access to your money would imply a higher rate of interest?

I want an account I don't have immediate access to, but the interest rates are not so good...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I've been looking at some savings account options. From shopping around, it seems that many online instant-access savings accounts offer better interest than online 7-day or 30-day access accounts. Surely having restricted access to your money would imply a higher rate of interest?

I want an account I don't have immediate access to, but the interest rates are not so good...

Notice account does not always mean a higher rate.

Nationwide UK pay 2.75% with 30 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Fungus wrote: »
    Notice account does not always mean a higher rate.

Nationwide UK pay 2.75% with 30 days notice.
    Yeah I can see that, why is that the case? Every guide I see about savings accounts seems to imply that interest rates are higher for notice deposit accounts compared to instant-access accounts. Even AIB's 21 day notice account has a lower interest rate compared to the 7 day notice account, below a threshold of something like €10,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yeah I can see that, why is that the case? Every guide I see about savings accounts seems to imply that interest rates are higher for notice deposit accounts compared to instant-access accounts. Even AIB's 21 day notice account has a lower interest rate compared to the 7 day notice account, below a threshold of something like €10,000.

Example:
    Bank launched notice account Y with 30 days notice. 2 years pass and the bank has millions saved with this product. The bank needs cash. If the bank raises the rate on product Y then the existing savers benefit and they have to pay them AND also new savers. The bank comes up with a cunning plan. They launch product Z with 31 days notice and drop the rate on product Y. The bank gets new savers into product Z and due to inertia they pay less on product Y. The bank wins.

Hence, the number of days notice is just a made up figure, it bares little relationship to the rate on offers. The banks frequently launch/discontinue notice products with different notice periods and swap and change to the banks benefit.

Moral of the story ... watch your rate frequently and switch frequently.

Advertisement