Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Irish government too "Big"

• 26-03-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I've been reading a lot on american politics and anyone who reads about republicans and the democrats know the main difference is the interference of government in peoples lives. Republics want to reduced the role of government in peoples lives. Just want to hear what some of you think about this in relation to Ireland.

In my opinion I think government here is to intrusive. It's not something that i spend a huge amount of time thinking about but i do believe that the government should play as limited a role as possible in peoples lives meaning reduced regulations in various areas. And giving more power to local authorities to allow locals to short out their own problems.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The Irish govt. is to big up its spend on education I hear ;)

We've recently caused an international furore with our FSA pro-actively regulating the content of mass produced food, is this the sort of wastefulness you wish to prevent?

The, short sighted, simplistic and frankly selfish, libertarian view of the world is depressingly common in those who have yet to encounter hardship in their lives...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its far too big, But my meaning of that is that we have far too many government bodies and far too many politicians. Too many chef's spoil the broth and all of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

charlemont wrote: »
    Its far too big, But my meaning of that is that we have far too many government bodies and far too many politicians. Too many chef's spoil the broth and all of that.

Well we do have a very large gravy train quango sector that could do with a severe pruning back , at the moment political appointments are a way of rewarding the party faithful and the personally generous (allegedly)

The use of consultants to get the "correct" answer when the civil service returns a politically unpalatable one is also a serious issue and the waste of money on the big 4 is frustrating in the extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Jcarroll07 wrote: »
    I've been reading a lot on american politics and anyone who reads about republicans and the democrats know the main difference is the interference of government in peoples lives.

Republicans love big government - they just love it in a different way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Republics want to reduced the role of government in peoples lives.

LOL.
    They're the phoniest bunch of hypocrites in the history of left/right politics, unless somehow warrantless wiretapping, internment without trial, sexual repression, internet censorship and so on are examples of "small government"?

Republicans only care about big government where economics is concerned. Throw up any social issue and they're all for the government ruling with an iron fist, which is why I for one will never respect them or their ideology.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Looking at the auxiliary areas of the State: Given that there are 440+ regularory bodies/agencies in this country, of population 4.5M, of powers ranging from simple oversight to legal enforcement on par with the DPP, and that their remit is so undefined that academic sources cannot adequately differeniate the various sub-types- then yes there is too much government, both from an economic perspective and a sense that the people don't need that amount of oversight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Republicans only care about big government where economics is concerned.

Even in economics they like big government in the form of military Keynesianism, law enforcement, drug wars etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I think our government is too big in that it employs far too meny seat warmers and desk lackies that have really not enough to do to be worth employing. I reckon in many cases theres 3:1 for the amount of work that needs to be done but thats just my angry uninformed estimate.

The argument in America that Republicans make is more interference than size i think they want effectively defederalisation of alot of stuff so the individual states are given alot more control over decisions that are currently made in washington.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

VinLieger wrote: »

The argument in America that Republicans make is more interference than size i think they want effectively defederalisation of alot of stuff so the individual states are given alot more control over decisions that are currently made in washington.

So obviously Ireland is not a federal republic. But do you think that the government should give more power to local authorities to allow them sort out their own problems and then if they needed help call on Dublin for it. In my own town the position of mayor which was elected is being scrapped basically and it will now be an appointed position with the person making that decision i presume based in Dublin and not really aware of the local needs and wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So obviously Ireland is not a federal republic. But do you think that the government should give more power to local authorities to allow them sort out their own problems and then if they needed help call on Dublin for it. In my own town the position of mayor which was elected is being scrapped basically and it will now be an appointed position with the person making that decision i presume based in Dublin and not really aware of the local needs and wants.

I think we need to do a bit of this yes, for instance like many have said with the property tax it should be going straight to the county councils and not into the giant tax pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

VinLieger wrote: »
    I think we need to do a bit of this yes, for instance like many have said with the property tax it should be going straight to the county councils and not into the giant tax pool

Counties are too small, we could use 7-8 regions and a Capital Region around greater Dublin.

Advertisement