Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance learning funding

Options
  • 26-03-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I am desperate to do a course and have been doing intensive research into the whole area of Proof reading and Copy editing for the past few months now.

Having worked in admin for over ten years, I don't enjoy the bitchy office politics side of it and decided training to be a proof reader and copy editor would be my dream come true.

I'm not working at the moment therefore, after I found the only course recognised in Ireland was a distance learning one from the UK but too expensive for my €188 per wk, I applied for a grant.

After jumping through hoops, and waiting 8 wks for an appointment, the employment officer said she'd speak to her manager about getting the course "on the list", I was told it could take up to 10 months to get it approved, if at all.

In the meantime, I have to sit twiddling my thumbs. I've applied for interships and volunteer work in publishing houses, newspapers, magazines to which nobody replied. I get the feeling, that unless I have this course under my belt, there's nothing they can do with me.

Does anyone know any other way of getting funding for a distance learning course? It's €1000 in all for both courses, then I could start up on my own.

I'm tired, frustrated and hate being kept waiting for another year because of the government and their stupid lists. I'm thinking emigration is the way to go. My partners in same boat, can't get recognised locksmith course here.

Advertisement