Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking lease and giving notice: Registered letter needed?

Options
  • 26-03-2013 7:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Hello all. Well, due to a change in my working circumstances, I've had to tell my landlord that I have to break my lease and move out, as I'm switching from full-time to part-time work and I cannot afford the rent any longer.

On my lease it states that I should notify the landlord with a registered letter saying this, but he said just to email him and that would be fine so I've spoken with him about that.

As long as he agrees to this, is it ok just to email him and there will be no reprecussions having not sent a registered letter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Don't rely on e-mail. Send a registered letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If you're on a fixed term lease and don't have a break clause, you are liable for the rest of the rent unless you can reassign the lease to another tenant. Its not a simple matter of sending a letter.

If he agrees, then no problem but just make sure you know where you stand before you go any further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If you're on a fixed term lease and don't have a break clause, you are liable for the rest of the rent unless you can reassign the lease to another tenant. Its not a simple matter of sending a letter.

If he agrees, then no problem but just make sure you know where you stand before you go any further.

It is a fixed term, and there is a break clause in it. So I think I'm ok there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Send a registered letter. A decent papertrail is necessary at all times. Just because the landlord is being accommodating now, doesn't mean he'll feel quite as benevolent after he views the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

smccarrick wrote: »
    Send a registered letter. A decent papertrail is necessary at all times. Just because the landlord is being accommodating now, doesn't mean he'll feel quite as benevolent after he views the property.
    I agree entirely with smccarrick.

Landlords / agents will often agree to a termination but seldom advise of the consequences - they don't tell you at the time that you may lose your deposit if no new tenant is found quickly or have to pay the landlord's expenses to find a new tenant.

Check you break clause carefully, especially as to when it can be invoked (often only after 6 months, for example).

It is always advisable to follow any instructions to the letter otherwise it could be termed as void. As a general principle, any notice of termination should be signed by the writer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement