Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metrosexual men.

• 26-03-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Paul Galvin springs to mind. The type that dresses in effeminate clothing, spends more time in the bathroom than the average woman and uses face cream and the like. What is the point like? surely life is too short?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Whats wrong with looking good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I think we need EdenHazard to answer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Mayoman911 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with looking good?

There is a fine line between looking good and extreme vanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I personally don't find that look attractive, but plenty of other women do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

As long as they don't tell me how to dress, they can wear pink tutus and fake tan for all I care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Metrosexuality was parodied in an episode of South Park

Skinny jeans is something I'll never be able to condone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Paul Galvin springs to mind.

I had to look up who Paul Galvin was. He looks like Ahmadinejad collided with the back end of a bus? That's supposed to be what "metrosexual" looks like, or is it someone else?

I don't get why Irish men in particular are so frightened of something as simple as looking after your appearance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Is it a look?

Is it a feel.

Is it a smell?

Is it a... sensation

Sensatual Men - the flavoursome fragrance you can wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Beckham in the early post United days! Think the sarong which was so wrong!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Paul Galvin isn't metrosexual. He's A. a GAA player and B. from Kerry. It's impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I am deeply attracted to rapid-transit systems, particularly in urban areas.

I should be allowed to get married to one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Links234 wrote: »
    I had to look up who Paul Galvin was. He looks like Ahmadinejad collided with the back end of a bus? That's supposed to be what "metrosexual" looks like, or is it someone else?

I don't get why Irish men in particular are so frightened of something as simple as looking after your appearance?

Agreed. Nothing wrong with having a bit of pride in your appearance, and it doesn't even look like this guy does :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You too, can look like me.
    http://www.rentaswag.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Not attracted to metrosexual men myself but what's the problem? How does it affect you OP? Couldn't care less what people do in their own time

Paul Galvin isn't metrosexual. He's A. a GAA player and B. from Kerry. It's impossible.

He has handbags and all sorts of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

There's taking pride in your appearance and there's this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Life is too short to be worrying about peoples beauty regimes. Leave em off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

South Park did it
    http://youtu.be/_adVPbK5BgA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

anndub wrote: »
    There's taking pride in your appearance and there's this
    Better than using pubes as toothfloss all the same.

• Advertisement

Not attracted to metrosexual men myself but what's the problem? How does it affect you OP? Couldn't care less what people do in their own time

Personally it doesn't affect me at all. I just think it is very vain and narcissistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Personally it doesn't affect me at all. I just think it is very vain and narcissistic.

Do you feel the same way about women who take care of their appearance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Why wouldn't a man feel good about how he looks?
    Not my kettle of fish(in that I already look good:rolleyes:) but if you fancy it go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sacksian wrote: »
    I am deeply attracted to rapid-transit systems, particularly in urban areas.

I should be allowed to get married to one.

You want to marry a train?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Do you take some of the E45 you rub on your nuts and apply it to your face?

That is it's transition to facecream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

So I'm in town today and I see this guy who looks like he just got out of bed (and not in a cool, intentional way). The guy had his bootcut, worn jeans on, an old Ireland tracksuit jacket over a fairly tired looking t-shirt. The skin on his face was all cracked and clearly in need of a bit of moisturiser, he just looked generally disheveled but this is exactly the same kind of person who will be complaining about somebody wearing chinos or skinny jeans, who might wear designer clothes, a scarf and who generally has pride in their appearance. I don't understand what's wrong with that. I'd much rather look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Nothing wrong with putting some time and effort into cultivating an image, it's all part of presenting your identity so to hell with what anyone else thinks. Goth guys spend far more time on their make-up and hair than any metrosexual. I think eyeliner looks good on guys and pink shirts are ridiculous, but I'm well aware plenty of people would disagree, so what does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I would consider myself metrosexual.

There's just something about the ICE's shiny white exterior, that pointed front, the speed... I usually have to bring spare underwear when I go on it.

Sure the wind would skin us, and thats only after we've stripped our face with a fcuking blade...

is a little protective balm not in order.. indeed moreso, than the wimminz?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Don't all men wax their sacks these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

Wow.

Caring about how you look and how you present yourself to others is a very normal and pleasant trait that many more men, Irish men in particular, could work on.

How does that equal vanity and narcissism? Is every woman out there who styles their hair or puts on nail polish vain and narcissist? What a ridiculous comment.

a velvety sheen should apply not just to the scrote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think it depends on the part of the country you come from. In Dublin men look after themselves and have no problem discussing clothes. Where I know from my relatives in the country a metrosexual is someone who wardrobes consists more than a few gaa jerseys and tracksuit bottoms. And more importantly doesn't see lynx as a fragrance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Sacramento wrote: »
    Skinny jeans is something I'll never be able to condone.

And a lucky few will know why :P

I don't see anything wrong with a guy taking care of himself. But i draw the line at men that tan. Nope. Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Don't all men wax their sacks these days?

Dude - waxing is soooo last year. A shave with a rusty razor is where it's at this season. For added 'man-factor' & all that...

Apparently, the ladies consider the nicks in your sack as 'little red badges of courage'.

• Advertisement

shoos wrote: »
    Wow.

Caring about how you look and how you present yourself to others is a very normal and pleasant trait that many more men, Irish men in particular, could work on.

How does that equal vanity and narcissism? Is every woman out there who styles their hair or puts on nail polish vain and narcissist? What a ridiculous comment.

There is nothing wrong with looking good, but if your apperance is your primary concern then that is shallow and superficial. Some women can take it to the extreme too. There is nothing endearing or pleasant about vain individuals. I don't care how much time they spend in the bathroom or what designer gear they spent extortionate amounts of money on. As far as women go I find the WAG look, and racecourse look very unattractive, I prefer natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

But who is to say that it is the primary concern of someone. There may be many men who take good care of their appearance, but the primary concern may be bringing home the bacon & feeding their families, or their work, or their sporting achievements, etc, etc... Just because someone dresses fashionably (for want of a better word) - it does not mean that it is their 'primary concern'.

A 'real man' wouldn't really give a flying **** about how other men dress or take care of their appearance tbh.

I cannot compensate on my own but you get these overly hirsute, big boned bears who merely envy the immaculate and cannot fathom a pair of 'skinny' jeans still being yet loose fitting...

what us skinny to some is regular to others and what is, regular to some is something I.. might get lost in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Maybe they are gigolos. I guess we'll never care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Paul Galvin responds to those taking the p1ss out of his beard, normally I think he takes himself too seriously but it's pretty funny
    Further to recent Twitter activity and pictures published in today’s press relating to my appearance in yesterday’s Kerry V Cork NFL game I would like to utterly and unequivocally distance myself from any claims made regarding my beard being overgrown.

My beard is no longer now than it was for the Down game and any efforts made to suggest it is overgrown or unkempt will be treated with the utmost gravity. Full beards or “statement beards” as they are known in the high streets and piazzas of Lixnaw, Abbeydorney, Kilflynn, Ballyduff, Causeway and Ballyheigue are all the rage from North Kerry to New York City right now.

Furthermore any attempts made to liken me to Charlie Bird, The Puck Goat or various Arabs will be disputed and dealt with accordingly. Attempts to compare me in appearance to Our Lord will be treated as blasphemy. Those making such comparisons, thus taking Our Lords name in vain will pay their dues on the Day Of Reckoning.

Furthermore and finally my personal grooming is a personal matter, one which I take very seriously as the pictures show. I will deal with any grooming issues I may or may not have privately heretofore and I would ask the media and my Twitter followers to respect my right to do so.

I am only commenting publicly in response to the many references that have been made to it in the public domain over the last 24 hours.

I will make no further comment on this matter at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

There is nothing wrong with looking good, but if your apperance is your primary concern then that is shallow and superficial. Some women can take it to the extreme too. There is nothing endearing or pleasant about vain individuals. I don't care how much time they spend in the bathroom or what designer gear they spent extortionate amounts of money on. As far as women go I find the WAG look, and racecourse look very unattractive, I prefer natural.

Good for you, and best of luck with it. I like people who look like extras from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Wouldn't it be boring if we were all into the same thing? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

OP is just jealous.

Nothing wrong with taking care of your appearance and wearing nice, stylish clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

You stink OP, so I am guessing.

orestes wrote: »
    Good for you, and best of luck with it. I like people who look like extras from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Wouldn't it be boring if we were all into the same thing? :)

Hi.

OP is just jealous.

Nothing wrong with taking care of your appearance and wearing nice, stylish clothes.

Not at all. I am a sexy guy, I don't need to spend hours in the bathroom. I can be out the door in 10 mins, looking fantastic.

Not at all. I am a sexy guy, I don't need to spend hours in the bathroom. I can be out the door in 10 mins, looking fantastic.

Pics or GTFO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

The drugs do not work all of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

And a lucky few will know why :P

I don't see anything wrong with a guy taking care of himself. But i draw the line at men that tan. Nope. Never.
    You mean use fake tan or tanning beds right? Surely nothing wrong with getting a tan on a beach.

People like to look good. Nothing wrong with that.

You mean use fake tan or tanning beds right? Surely nothing wrong with getting a tan on a beach.

People like to look good. Nothing wrong with that.

We're Irish, Teddy. We're born ugly, we live ugly, and we die ugly. It is our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

We're Irish, Teddy. We're born ugly, we live ugly, and we die ugly. It is our way.

Speak for yourself!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement