Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metrosexual men.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

We're Irish, Teddy. We're born ugly, we live ugly, and we die ugly. It is our way.

It is what you were told to believe, but it was wrong, we die beautiful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

I love dressing up in leather or denim and I have very long hair. I wear skinny jeans, high boots and I love earrings and jewelry. I shower and wash my hair everyday - I am a metrosexual man and proud of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

Not at all. I am a sexy guy, I don't need to spend hours in the bathroom. I can be out the door in 10 mins, looking fantastic.

Same for my boyfriend.

Doesn't make me wish any less he'd consider wearing nicer jeans and shoes or look after his skin a bit better. A little goes a long way. You might look good without it, but consider how good you would look if you cared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I love dressing up in leather or denim and I have very long hair. I wear skinny jeans, high boots and I love earrings and jewelry. I shower and wash my hair everyday - I am a metrosexual man and proud of it!
    That shouldn't be turning me on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

It is what you were told to believe, but it was wrong, we die beautiful.
    Speak for yourself!!

Don't fight it. It's part of our heritage. Those stone carvings are 100% accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Is that you Russell brand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Anything that isn't balding in a dark pub with a GAA jersey, bootcut jeans and a beer belly is considered metrosexual in this country ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Originally Posted by Jimmy Garlic viewpost.gif
    Not at all. I am a sexy guy, I don't need to spend hours in the bathroom. I can be out the door in 10 mins, looking fantastic.

Gettin' a bit metro there, boyo.

anndub wrote: »
    There's taking pride in your appearance and there's this

http://www.waxing4blokes.com/images/intimatewaxing.JPG

I don't see the problem :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Nothing wrong with dressing well and taking pride in your appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

hung around with a load of french lads in Switzerland,who were the epitome of modern metrosexual men. they used to mock my clothing and say us Irish "don't give a fu5k"! now these were fellas who used buy their jeans in the ladies section of shop becasue the mens just weren't skinny enough in the legs.their t-shirts exposed a large portion of their chest also and worst thing is they had the hottest girlfriends ever so i couldn't call them homo either. to be honest if i have to choose between looking like a fag or looking like a normal dude even if i meant not getting one of these super hot women, then i'd prefer to keep my normal clotes and my dignity.oh and i mean fag in the louis c.k way not the homosexual way before anyone freaks out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Mayoman911 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with looking good?

The thing is, these Paul Galvin types put in loads of effort, but don't seem to have a clue about style. So they just look preened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Sacramento wrote: »
    Skinny jeans is something I'll never be able to condone.

Especially on chunky GAA legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

If only there were some middle ground between mincing around like a coiffured dandy and swilling about like a grunting, unkempt pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The thing is, these Paul Galvin types put in loads of effort, but don't seem to have a clue about style. So they just look preened.

There was a picture of Paul Galvin in the paper today looking absolutely ridiculous. He looked like a member of the Taliban that raided Russell Brands wardrobe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Men waxing their eyebrows and using fake tan... NO!

Using moisturiser and and grooming themselves....yes!

Any man who spends more time in the bathroom getting ready that I do :rolleyes:

Skinny jeans...unless they are of the heavy metal look variety...no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I would expect a guy to be nicely groomed downstairs, especially if he wants me to head away down there. I keep myself perfectly bald so would expect a guy to have a bit of respect for me and tidy himself up! It doesn't need to be bald, but trimmed is good.

I think most guys need a bit of moisturiser on their hands and faces, in winter especially. A daily shower, and regular teeth brushing.

Is that metrosexual? I don't think so! Any more than that is a bit much for me though.

Jogathon wrote: »
    I would expect a guy to be nicely groomed downstairs, especially if he wants me to head away down there. I keep myself perfectly bald so would expect a guy to have a bit of respect for me and tidy himself up! It doesn't need to be bald, but trimmed is good.

I think most guys need a bit of moisturiser on their hands and faces, in winter especially. A daily shower, and regular teeth brushing.

Is that metrosexual? I don't think so! Any more than that is a bit much for me though.

Nothing I don't do, well I could look after my face more, because bar washing it, I usually forget to put moisturiser on it.

You can be a normal guy yet not metrosexual and just look after yourself instead of being a slob and stupidly thinking you're a real man for it.

Sure even I could bring myself up a bit more, but bar keeping fit I'm a lazy bastard on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

1ZRed wrote: »
    Nothing I don't do, well I could look after my face more, because bar washing it, I usually forget to put moisturiser on it.

You can be a normal guy yet not metrosexual and just look after yourself instead of being a slob and stupidly thinking you're a real man for it.

Sure even I could bring myself up a bit more, but bar keeping fit I'm a lazy bastard on that front.
    Relax Redzer, all you need is the Zac Efron 'is it long or is it short' hair cut :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Paul Galvin is a beautiful man when he's togged out on the pitch.

Then he destroys it by wearing ridiculous clothes when he comes off it. I still would though, I just wouldn't be seen in public with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

You mean use fake tan or tanning beds right? Surely nothing wrong with getting a tan on a beach.

That's absolutely fine, but if he goes out and buys tan, or plonks himself on a sunbed I will openly mock him. Mainly because I'm milk bottle white, can't get a tan real OR fake, and would be seething with jealousy over his beautiful bronzed skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'm just watching Escape From L.A. Long moussed up hair, leather pants, sleeveless vest, and all accessorised with a fancy belt and an eye-patch. Snake Plissken is a metro biatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Just shows what a backwards nation we are when you get the piss pulled out of you for wanting to dress well and taking some pride in your appearance.

I best get my ass down to my local Champions Sports asap and get myself a pair of sweatpants and runners to fit in with the rest of the hicks in this country.

Festy wrote: »
    Just shows what a backwards nation we are when you get the piss pulled out of you for wanting to dress well and taking some pride in your appearance.

I best get my ass down to my local Champions Sports asap and get myself a pair of sweatpants and runners to fit in with the rest of the hicks in this country.

Here, you leave those sweat pants out of this! :P

They're great for lounging around or lazily thrown on after training. You need runners and sweatpants for stuff too, just don't go thinking you can do black tie in them and you'll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There's looking after yourself and there's going overboard. Then with the cheek to call yourself "straight" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

People that judge others for being 'hipsters' or 'metrosexuals' are sad individuals with too much time on their hands. People who judge others because they dress in less fancy clothes are just as bad. Dress whatever way you want and let other people do the same.
    So I'm in town today and I see this guy who looks like he just got out of bed (and not in a cool, intentional way). The guy had his bootcut, worn jeans on, an old Ireland tracksuit jacket over a fairly tired looking t-shirt. The skin on his face was all cracked and clearly in need of a bit of moisturiser, he just looked generally disheveled but this is exactly the same kind of person who will be complaining about somebody wearing chinos or skinny jeans, who might wear designer clothes, a scarf and who generally has pride in their appearance. I don't understand what's wrong with that. I'd much rather look good.

Or maybe he lives five minutes away from Tesco and didn't feel like spending two hours picking out an outfit and applying moisturiser to his face to go and get a loaf of bread. He also may have been working and just been on a break to get some lunch. Or he might just have other priorities than dressing to please you. You have no idea what his opinions are on on other peoples appearance. He probably barely notices what other people are wearing.

If you want to spend ages dressing up then that's your business and there's nothing wrong with it. Looking down on other people for not doing the same is an entirely different matter.

You sound like you spend far too much time trying to find fault in other people. If you asked me to describe one person I had seen in town yesterday I don't think I'd be able to remember.

Personally speaking I 'let myself go' a bit (that is I go longer without getting a haircut and wear older clothes but still keep myself clean) in colder weather and dress a bit more decently in summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭morlock_

People that judge others for being 'hipsters' or 'metrosexuals' are sad individuals with too much time on their hands. People who judge others because they dress in less fancy clothes are just as bad. Dress whatever way you want and let other people do the same.

Or maybe he lives five minutes away from Tesco and didn't feel like spending two hours picking out an outfit and applying moisturiser to his face to go and get a loaf of bread. He also may have been working and just been on a break to get some lunch. Or he might just have other priorities than dressing to please you. You have no idea what his opinions are on on other peoples appearance. He probably barely notices what other people are wearing.

If you want to spend ages dressing up then that's your business and there's nothing wrong with it. Looking down on other people for not doing the same is an entirely different matter.

You sound like you spend far too much time trying to find fault in other people. If you asked me to describe one person I had seen in town yesterday I don't think I'd be able to remember.

Personally speaking I 'let myself go' a bit (that is I go longer without getting a haircut and wear older clothes but still keep myself clean) in colder weather and dress a bit more decently in summer.

Personally speaking, I would have dressed "badly" in the past simply because I couldn't afford clothing that people would approve of.

My response to as.sholes criticising me was "if you're so worried about what I'm wearing, why not buy me some clothes?"

I honestly believe the way some men dress today is the fault of homosexuals in the fashion world brainwashing heterosexual women into dressing their partners a specific way.

Remember David Beckham in that Sarong years ago? I'll bet you any money Victoria told him it looked fantastic when he probably knew himself it looked naff but he wore it anyway because of the woman.

I can't accept a man would wear tight jeans or a turquoise/pink sweater unless a woman told him it was "sexy" or "stylish"

Ugg Boots are perfect example of hideous footwear considered stylish by women.
    Who on earth thought they looked good? Fashion magazines have a lot to answer for.

Men are being demasculated by women taking fashion advice from gays, that's where metrosexuals come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Swarly45

I go into the centra next to my house everyday looking a mess. I think the staff by now get the fact i'm a regular but i always get looks from the customers, but i really could not give a flying. The shop is 10 steps from my door. Trakkies and runners all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

Although I don't care how people dress, I can somewhat agree with the previous poster. I think men have changed the way they dress ,wash and groom in recent years based on all the crazy advertising that one can't seem to dodge. It's similar to the size zero issue with the ladies or the body-built look championed by men's fitness magazines. It places an unrealistic goal of self perfection that people are led to believe is reachable by consuming ****e. It's all driven by someone's desire to sell you a product. Unfortunately you can't buy genes in Tesco, yet.

I say, think for yourself, don't buy into advertising and make whatever choice makes you happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

morlock_ wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I would have dressed "badly" in the past simply because I couldn't afford clothing that people would approve of.

My response to as.sholes criticising me was "if you're so worried about what I'm wearing, why not buy me some clothes?"

I honestly believe the way some men dress today is the fault of homosexuals in the fashion world brainwashing heterosexual women into dressing their partners a specific way.

Remember David Beckham in that Sarong years ago? I'll bet you any money Victoria told him it looked fantastic when he probably knew himself it looked naff but he wore it anyway because of the woman.

I can't accept a man would wear tight jeans or a turquoise/pink sweater unless a woman told him it was "sexy" or "stylish"

Who on earth thought they looked good? Fashion magazines have a lot to answer for.

Men are being demasculated by women taking fashion advice from gays, that's where metrosexuals come from.

good jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's a lot to be said for wearing crappy clothes that you don't care about. Last summer I bought a few pairs of chinos (not because they were in fashion but because I liked them and they were really light fabric which was perfect for summer). One day I went out for a walk in the country where the council had been doing roadworks. I looked down at my cream chinos and saw a massive streak of tarmac. This really pissed me off for the rest of the day and I made numerous failed attempts to get the stain out. I ended up with a pair of trousers that I had only worn twice being destroyed.

Today I'm wearing a five year old pair of Levis. They were expensive when I bought them but they're now on their last legs. There's small holes in them as well as a couple of stains that won't wash out. I'm past caring what happens to these jeans and I can just go about my business without worrying about stepping in a pothole or if I get mud or tarmac splashed on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

morlock_ wrote: »

So you're saying that men can't think for themselves? Has it ever occurred to you that maybe not all men are either 'manly men' or homosexual. Just like women, men can like different styles of dress. Is it impossible for men to like tight jeans or a pink sweater and want to wear them himself? I thought the world was starting to realize that just because men are often taller and bigger than women doesn't mean it reflects their personality and likes.
    And rather than men being pressurized by media to be metrosexual, I think they're being pressurized by society to be the opposite. I think that in Ireland (or at least from my experience) if a man were to wear makeup or feminine clothes he would be teased by everyone and not taken seriously by a lot of people.
    Women are able to not wear makeup and wear mens clothes so I don't see my men can't wear makeup and female clothes (without being teased) if it's what makes him happy. Why do you care how long they spend in front of the mirror? I don't see the problem with metrosexual men, I actually really like their style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The only "product" i use is a bar of Imperial Leather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The only "product" i use is a bar of Imperial Leather
    Is it bacon scented? If not, you're a metrosexual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Links234 wrote: »
    I had to look up who Paul Galvin was. He looks like Ahmadinejad collided with the back end of a bus? That's supposed to be what "metrosexual" looks like, or is it someone else?

I don't get why Irish men in particular are so frightened of something as simple as looking after your appearance?

More like Ahmadinejad in skinny pants and a dickie bow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

There's nothing worse than that "preened" look, like that cricket player who was / is going out with Liz Hurley. But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with a guy who enjoys wearing decent, fashionable clothes, getting a good haircut, or taking care of his skin.

What's bad is the "man's man" who gives out about those people, without first looking in the mirror at their own appearance. They are most likely not interested in fashion or appearance, and there is nothing wrong about it, but it doesn;t mean that they are "right" and the 'dressed up' guys are "wrong". Each to their own.

I often argue with a friend of mine about this; he is a man's man, but then again wears slightly out of date fashions (boot cut jeans, those yellow suede boots etc), and I would be more likely to wear slimmer jeans or more "up to date" clothes. I'd never slag off his style, nor he mine, but he doesn't understand how anyone could not be like him, how they could for example be vegetarian, or like things more associated with the feminine side. Its not wrong or right, its just a different attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The nearest Tesco was like 15 minutes away and he lives in an estate from which you have to get the bus into town (45 minute walk I'd say). I'm not saying go suit and tie but a bit more of an effort was certainly required or you end up looking scruffy. While I doubt anybody said that to him, I'd say a sizeable portion of the people he passes on a daily basis think that about him.

In a relatively small town like Waterford you tend to recognise people, I vaguely know him and you see him often enough around the town, always wearing the same thing so it hardly requires photographic memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

There's looking after yourself and then there's pruning yourself to the point that you make the local clothes shop's mannequin look more human than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Whatever about his dress sense, Paul Galvins facial hair gets the thumbs up from me. We need more terrorist-beards bombing up and down the GAA fields this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

1ZRed wrote: »
    Anything that isn't balding in a dark pub with a GAA jersey, bootcut jeans and a beer belly is considered metrosexual in this country ffs
    Don't forget the Sunday school brown shoes or the steel toed farmer boots. :pac:

Advertisement