Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coopers double choc stout

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

zippy84 wrote: »
    Update: Cracked open a bottle after 3 weeks in bottles and left 2 or 3 in the fridge for 5 days.. medicinal tasting. This is a taste I've unfortunately come to expect and am almost certain it's coming from the tap water. I've boiled water and let it cool as a test and there really is a weird kind of metallic or medicinal taste afterward in the water. Not sure why the boiling brings this out, but it's the same taste I get in the beers, pity really... but it's the last time I use tap water in my brewing. In fact I've an APA finishing in the fermenter at the moment and I've tasted it, much much improved having used bottled water.

I know the stout is still young but I don't think this taste is going to go away with age, I'll have to struggle through them. I'll have to attempt this recipe in the future sometime with decent water and maybe as a partial instead of canned kit.

Is it only when you boil?? What are you using to boil the water? Pot/kettle or?
    Medicinal taste is usually chlorine / chloramine - this can be treated with campden tablet - 1 per 20liters will sort that. Also check how you're sanitizing- if using bleach maybe try rinsing with boiled water after (where possible let cool if with glass bottles)

Metallic taste (usually) would come from unprotected metals exposed to water/wort- which is why I asked about how you're boiling... Might be a long shot but if it's a metal pot you're using try something else.
    If it's the kitchen kettle- does the tea taste metallic?

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Hingo wrote: »
    Is it only when you boil?? What are you using to boil the water? Pot/kettle or?
    Medicinal taste is usually chlorine / chloramine - this can be treated with campden tablet - 1 per 20liters will sort that. Also check how you're sanitizing- if using bleach maybe try rinsing with boiled water after (where possible let cool if with glass bottles)

Metallic taste (usually) would come from unprotected metals exposed to water/wort- which is why I asked about how you're boiling... Might be a long shot but if it's a metal pot you're using try something else.
    If it's the kitchen kettle- does the tea taste metallic?

I now have a new stainless steel pot, not sure what the old one was but possibly aluminium. Although I've done water tests boiling in different pots and from an actual kettle and the result was the same.. so it could be the plumbing/local water supply pipes. I've since started using bottled water and have mashed in my old pot and having tested the unfinished beer a few times I'm not getting the same off flavour - must have been the water. I sanitize with bleach/vinegar which is suppose to be no-rinse but I rinse anyway.

Advertisement