Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality Off Licence, City Centre Area

Options
  • 26-03-2013 8:10pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good quality offie in the centre of town (preferably North of the River) where I can get some Sailor Jerry and Red Stripe for a Caribbean fest, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Maybe throw some Guinness Foreign Extra into the equation too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Kavanagh's on Dorset Street, opposite the Mater Private Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boxty

Drinkstore in Stoney batter stock both (and just about anything else you can think of) edit spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

There is an offie near Harold's Cross. They should have it.

Okay, not really city centre, but plenty of buses going down there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Not north side but Whelans offie is fairly decent, also the selection in Fresh across the road is good too. And then there is Carvils on the Bleeding Horse end of Candem st.
    Oh just thought of Celtic Whiskey on Dawson st, they have Sailor Jerry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mc hugh's in artane or kilbarrack road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Probus is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Lars1916 wrote: »
    There is an offie near Harold's Cross. They should have it.

Okay, not really city centre, but plenty of buses going down there :D

D-Six Off License?
    Not north side but Whelans offie is fairly decent, also the selection in Fresh across the road is good too. And then there is Carvils on the Bleeding Horse end of Candem st.

Failing Whelans and Carvils, you have O'Neills (Recently changed to Next Door Off License) opposite Griffith College.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Salor Jerrys; http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Sailor_Jerry_Rum-z-product-product-734-context-search_results-page-1.htm

I think the parking nearby at the green nearby is free after 19:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Probus is excellent.

Probus is a joke. Crazy prices and he has a policy against plastic bags. Genius idea when you're trying to carry a heap of beers.

• Advertisement

D-Six Off License?

Probably Next Door opposite the garage, they have a decent selection.
    The fella swears by Mc Hughs in Artane.

Neither are city centre though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I second the drink store. It's on Manor St. in Stoneybatter.

Great selection of beers.

The 39a/39/70 bus all stop just down from it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Sweenys in Phibsboro is great.

Probus used to be great but they have given to much space to their sandwich bar, and it is impossible to buy beer at lunchtime, as the servers are all making sandwiches

John Mason wrote: »

Probus used to be great but they have given to much space to their sandwich bar, and it is impossible to buy beer at lunchtime, as the servers are all making sandwiches

It appears that times have changed then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

D-Six Off License?

Failing Whelans and Carvils, you have O'Neills (Recently changed to Next Door Off License) opposite Griffith College.

That's the one, I was looking for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

As it happens, I tried Kavanaghs and they had neither Sailor Jerry nor Red Stripe. I ran out of time trying too many other places but came home empty handed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

http://www.sweeneyswine.ie/beer_spirits.htm stock Red Stripe and I would try the Celtic Whiskey Shop for Sailor Jerry, they certainly used to stock it.
    Worth a couple of phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Robbo wrote: »
    As it happens, I tried Kavanaghs and they had neither Sailor Jerry nor Red Stripe. I ran out of time trying too many other places but came home empty handed.

Good. To a West Indian, drinking a spiced rum like Sailor Jerry is equivalent to an Irish person drinking Guinness and blackcurrant.:)

Gyalist wrote: »
    Good. To a West Indian, drinking a spiced rum like Sailor Jerry is equivalent to an Irish person drinking Guinness and blackcurrant.:)

This tends to be the case with a lot of exported beverages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Get the beoir app for your phone for a list of good offies. Or check the directory

Main ones near the city center would be

Supervalu on Quays - has an ok selection but generally nothing too exotic, although I think I might have seen red stripe in there
    Probus - Feenian st. Small but can have some nice stuff. I don't find it any more expensive than others, but haven't seen red stripe there
    Celtic Whiskey Store - Small selection of beer, great selection of whiskey, rum etc
    Drinkstore - Stonybatter - One of the best offies in Dublin for beer
    Kavaghans - Dorset St - Good selection
    Molloys - Francis st

If you wanted to go a bit further there are also
    Redmonds - Ranelagh
    Sweenys - Phibsboro / Glasnevin

• Advertisement
Advertisement