Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy shredded coconut for macaroons

Options
  • 26-03-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi I was wondering if anyone has seen anywhere to buy sweetened (or unsweetened) coconut, I want to make chocolate dipped coconut macaroons but Tesco doesn't seem to stock the coconut and I believe it's pretty hard to find in the UK and Ireland, has anyone seen it anywhere? many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I used dessicated coconut. Pretty sure I've seen shredded coconut in an Asian shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

What's the difference between dessicated and shredded? I'd have thought they are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pretty sure I've seen shredded coconut in an Asian shop
    +1, Some of these shops have ridiculous amounts of coconut products.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    What's the difference between dessicated and shredded? I'd have thought they are the same.
    Thats what I wondered too.
    Desiccated Coconut
    Desiccated coconut is unsweetened, very finely ground coconut with most of the moisture removed. This is not to be confused with coconut flour, which has the fat removed; desiccated coconut retains all the SFA goodness. Desiccated coconut is used all over for desserts, but PBers might enjoy sprinkling it over a bowl of berries and cream, onto curries, or directly into their mouths. It’s just the coconut flesh only dry, so there’s still a nice bit of subtle sweetness to desiccated coconut.

An ounce will get you 18 grams of fat, 16 grams saturated, 7 grams carbs, with 5 being fiber, and 2 grams of protein.

Shredded Coconut
    Shredded coconut is mostly dry, but it usually retains more moisture than full-on desiccated coconut. But really, the main difference between shredded coconut and desiccated coconut (and flaked coconut, too) is the shape of the coconut. Shredded coconut comes shredded; it’s in thin strands or strips. Flaked coconut, meanwhile, comes is flatter, wider pieces. Still dry, though, and still coconut. Use shredded or flaked coconut the same way you’d use desiccated, ground coconut

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-wonderful-world-of-coconut-products/#ixzz2OjULOykp

This still might not be what the OP meant. That quote says coconut flour has fat removed, some do, but the flour I have is full fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I've bought shredded coconut in The Hop Sack health food shop in Rathmines, I would imagine most of the health food shops would have it, though perhaps not Holland & Barrat.

The pieces are about .5cm wide and 1-2cm long, I would have thought they were very big for macarons...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

Got it guys, it's in all big supermarkets! here I was thinking it was going to be a major problem lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement