Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

Foley48 wrote: »
    Im in the 190's, paid friday 14th at 2am, with a creditcard, been "in progress" since about 7am friday 14th and still no CAL :/ Seen people who paid saturday the 15th and monday the 17th get them already. Driving me up the walls if I'm honest...

I'm not quite that low WTN , I'm 1064 ish , defo between 1050-1070, but paid and docs uploaded since very early Fri 14th morning and sitting on "in progress" since then too..... Some people in the 3000's and paid well after us have there's all ready ...... Driving me nuts too, I honestly would be gone within 10 days of getting mine...

wetjigsaw wrote: »
    I'm getting the impression everybody thinks round two is going to be harder to get. Would it not be easier given that 3850 people who got a place already won't be trying to get one this time?

I got in round one, my OH didn't.

I would like to think round 2 would be easier but I'm getting the same impression myself..... But to be honest I did not think round one would go in 7 mins I at least thought a few hours , thankfully I have been on this since early last year and took peoples advise to have everything ready to just click, plus a bit of luck cause it really felt like a lottery to get in under the 3850.

Good luck to your OH on round two ....

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Foley48

gccrowley1 wrote: »
    I'm not quite that low WTN , I'm 1064 ish , defo between 1050-1070, but paid and docs uploaded since very early Fri 14th morning and sitting on "in progress" since then too..... Some people in the 3000's and paid well after us have there's all ready ...... Driving me nuts too, I honestly would be gone within 10 days of getting mine...

At least I'm not the only one then! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Foley48 wrote: »
    At least I'm not the only one then! :)
    Im 53 did my stuff pretty quick still no word from them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

astonaidan wrote: »
    Im 53 did my stuff pretty quick still no word from them :mad:

Yeah, sub-100 here too and no CAL either. The wait is the worst part!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Jesus ye got your CAL fairly quick..... That's not bad at all.... Full thing completed in just over a week.... I'd be gone next week if I got mine that fast!

I did here of some people completing the whole thing by Monday 17th , jammy feckers.

The 17th I'd my poe on the 15th

I'm getting the impression everybody thinks round two is going to be harder to get. Would it not be easier given that 3850 people who got a place already won't be trying to get one this time?

Yeah but how many people didn't get it ?and whay do you do if your oh doesn't get in ib the second round?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lisa1992

Got my POE letter at 1:30 our time. #962

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭JamHn

Lisa1992 wrote: »
    Got my POE letter at 1:30 our time. #962

1.30pm today? Are they working today? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lisa1992

Yeah got it today so they must be!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update!

The 17th I'd my poe on the 15th

WTF...... Now that's fast...... What's your WTN

WTF...... Now that's fast...... What's your WTN

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

These CAL's can be entered into a queue and batch distributed in order to preemptively manage bandwidth spikes on the CIC site. This is the most likely scenario as the system would only be designed to take this level of traffic once a year and people seem to be receiving them in batches. I wouldn't read too much into the time that the CAL's are sent out. They may have been in a queue for a day or so before being distributed.

The order in which they are handled are most likely ordered by the timestamp of the bank payment resolution and not the WTN. Agents would probably receive a batch of "jobs" to process meaning that any logical order, even in timestamps, is not absolute as it is dependent on human factors. It would be inefficient for the applications to be handled in order of WTN's as a person with a WTN of 000001 may not have had payment clearance for 6 days while a person with a WTN of 003850 might have cleared payment in an hour. It would not make logical sense to wait until 00001 was cleared before working on 003850.

All in all, there is very little in the way of simplified order in the distribution of CAL's and no real way to pre-empt when a CAL may be received due to the various system and human variables involved.

In short, don't sweat the order.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17 markgisme

eenm wrote: »
    You need a cert from your local Garda station to say you haven't been convicted of anything, need addresses, proof of id and stamped addressed envelope. Need it for any country you've lived for 6+ months. Can be super quick or painfully slow depending on your local station. You'll need to upload it when you get your conditional acceptance. You need to read through the thread for questions like that though first... We've all been talking through this for months so people don't like repeating themselves time and time again.

Thank's for the info man. Need to get on that ASAP then.
    15 minutes reading through this thread would answer all of your questions.
    Infairness regardless of being away and having to go away again etc shouldn't you have done some research on the whole process ? I mean half a hour on Google and you figure it all out .

You're all dead right but tbh I came on here and was pretty worried I had either missed something on my application or something like that and was just looking for a quick fix or a few answers which would have put me at ease.

Thanks for the replies anyway.
    Where you looking to stay in ubc? Lived there for 3 months in 2008

Was looking to stay in one of the fraternities but I'm not too sure about committing for 3 months. A friend of mine paid 900 for 3 months in Toronto which isn't so bad I guess, still quite expensive.

Where did you stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eamohal

Why did she wait for her new passport can you not update passport details at a later date on your Kompass account??

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Why did she wait for her new passport can you not update passport details at a later date on your Kompass account??

I believe this is directed at me? Well she knew the passport would arrive before the submission date of Stage 1 so she just waited. I told her she could apply with the old one and just update her passport number later on but she waited anyway. It worked out for her it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

markgisme wrote: »
    Thank's for the info man. Need to get on that ASAP then.

You're all dead right but tbh I came on here and was pretty worried I had either missed something on my application or something like that and was just looking for a quick fix or a few answers which would have put me at ease.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Was looking to stay in one of the fraternities but I'm not too sure about committing for 3 months. A friend of mine paid 900 for 3 months in Toronto which isn't so bad I guess, still quite expensive.

Where did you stay?

Stayed in Beta Theta Pi, rent was €450 per month for a triple room, rip off but best summer of my life! Don't think you can stay in a frat beyond the summer though?

Also I'm a girl :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

if anyone is interested in getting involved in a good soccer club in Toronto PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭john_jobin

I think round 2 will go just as quick if not quicker. All round 1 did was ween out those people who weren't at all prepared for it, and even at that you had people who were very well prepared also not getting it.

So basically for round 2 nearly everyone will be extremely prepared because they know how quickly they're going to go, so you've lost that advantage from round 1 that you had if you were prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 wetjigsaw

john_jobin wrote: »
    I think round 2 will go just as quick if not quicker. All round 1 did was ween out those people who weren't at all prepared for it, and even at that you had people who were very well prepared also not getting it.

So basically for round 2 nearly everyone will be extremely prepared because they know how quickly they're going to go, so you've lost that advantage from round 1 that you had if you were prepared.

I agree people will be better prepared, I'm just thinking there has to be less people now though..

I got mine in very quickly, and would have submitted his too but he had forgotten to fill one part in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 duckgirlie

Has anyone else still not got their CLA? My notification of receipt of payment was on the 14th, so it should be soon, right? Or is it ten working days?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jaykace

duckgirlie wrote: »
    Has anyone else still not got their CLA? My notification of receipt of payment was on the 14th, so it should be soon, right? Or is it ten working days?

..still no cal here I'm sure we will all have em by Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

If I don't get my CAL tomorrow, I'm gonna sneak across the border and live in a shack in the woods made out of thousands and thousands of paper plates. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

GrumPy wrote: »
    If I don't get my CAL tomorrow, I'm gonna sneak across the border and live in a shack in the woods made out of thousands and thousands of paper plates. :pac:

Isn't there like a 3 month wait for that place? Reservation only.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭john_jobin

I agree people will be better prepared, I'm just thinking there has to be less people now though..

I got mine in very quickly, and would have submitted his too but he had forgotten to fill one part in.

True there will be less people this time round but there's definitely going to be more people than the 3850 visas on offer and that all that really matters!

Really hope you're OH gets it this round! I'd suggest maybe going to an internet cafe of somewhere with very fast internet just to increase his chances!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 markgisme

Stayed in Beta Theta Pi, rent was €450 per month for a triple room, rip off but best summer of my life! Don't think you can stay in a frat beyond the summer though?

Also I'm a girl :(

Did you just email the Frat house or how did you go about booking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jaykace

Best of luck to everyone today hope yiz all get the booty CAL!

It has to be this week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

markgisme wrote: »
    Did you just email the Frat house or how did you go about booking it?

Not sure if it's still the same email, but if not you might get a forwarding email address: betahousingubc@shaw.ca

They were the only frat accepting Irish guys when we went but that could have changed.

Advertisement