Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Just the way it is. Bit more waiting for us either way!

I know. Not sure how much longer I can take the suspense. UK one opening Thursday, so my other half will be applying on that so that's enough to worry about for this week!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 TMcG1990

Kersmash wrote: »
    I was out there on the IEC program in 2012. When we went over we had only gotten conditional acceptance and were waiting on letters of introduction. The border control lads let us in on visitor passes and once we got our letters of introduction we had to go to Niagra, hop into the usa for a minute and then come back through canadian border control. I think it's called Flagpoling. It's cos you can't activate a visa when you're currently in the country.

The visa was for a year but it was just a summer J1 type thing I went for intended to be three months. Around August I decided I wanted to stay on. I would have seen out the whole visa but because I had only intended to stay for three months, I wasn't exactly prepared, and money and housing caused a lot of grief.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a mill for that Kersmash! Hoped I would be in the conditional acceptance stage by January but that's looking unlikely now!

Can I also ask if flagpolling is legal and did the border security allow/advise this? Sorry for all the questions, just not sure what is ok and what isn't.

Cheers again!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I know. Not sure how much longer I can take the suspense. UK one opening Thursday, so my other half will be applying on that so that's enough to worry about for this week!

Why is your other half going for the UK one? I presume no Irish Passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

TMcG1990 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that Kersmash! Hoped I would be in the conditional acceptance stage by January but that's looking unlikely now!

Can I also ask if flagpolling is legal and did the border security allow/advise this? Sorry for all the questions, just not sure what is ok and what isn't.

Cheers again!

We had no idea really, we just heard it was a thing. Went to Niagra, crossed the bridge, took a few photos, shat some bricks and went into the USA border control area. Went up to the fella at the desk and said, we're just looking to turn back around so we can pick up our visas for Canada. He just looked at our paperwork, asked us to take a seat, filled out a form for us to give the Canadian border control and we went straight back out the other door to Canada. He didn't seem to have an issue with it, I think it's a pretty widespread thing, especially for people living in Canada who are getting a new visa, like people doing the IEC twice in a row.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 TMcG1990

Kersmash wrote: »
    We had no idea really, we just heard it was a thing. Went to Niagra, crossed the bridge, took a few photos, shat some bricks and went into the USA border control area. Went up to the fella at the desk and said, we're just looking to turn back around so we can pick up our visas for Canada. He just looked at our paperwork, asked us to take a seat, filled out a form for us to give the Canadian border control and we went straight back out the other door to Canada. He didn't seem to have an issue with it, I think it's a pretty widespread thing, especially for people living in Canada who are getting a new visa, like people doing the IEC twice in a row.

Cheers for all the info, Kersmash. Much appreciated!

Feel a bit better heading over there now, knowing there's a possibility of not having to fly back home and pay for more flights.

Good luck and here's hoping they open these visas soon!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sunnyirish

Well guys what are your thoughts now that the Uk visas are released on Wednesday! Will they still release the Irish ones before Christmas or will it be next year now? :)

According to the ICAN fb page, it's looking like Jan for the Irish. Though in respect we can't complain because we get a 24 month Visa straight away. UK only gets 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

sunnyirish wrote: »
    Well guys what are your thoughts now that the Uk visas are released on Wednesday! Will they still release the Irish ones before Christmas or will it be next year now? :)

who knows ! chances are it be after christmas but before would have been nice even ican said its looking like january but either way it be nice to just know a date so ya stop worring about it but . they like to let you sweat! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sunnyirish

According to the ICAN fb page, it's looking like Jan for the Irish. Though in respect we can't complain because we get a 24 month Visa straight away. UK only gets 12!

Yep Its great we get to years. Just don't like the way they don't state what there doing seems so back ward in this day and age!

sunnyirish wrote: »
    Yep Its great we get to years. Just don't like the way they don't state what there doing seems so back ward in this day and age!

easy if they dont state anything they they can change whatever they need to if things are announced they cant say well no its gonna be this and whatever else different to whats been said .

• Advertisement

Why is your other half going for the UK one? I presume no Irish Passport?

She's Scottish! It just confuses things even more for us, with her having to apply now and only getting one year, and then me waiting around for what looks like another month and getting my two year one! Means next year we will have the same panic for her all over again!

She's Scottish! It just confuses things even more for us, with her having to apply now and only getting one year, and then me waiting around for what looks like another month and getting my two year one! Means next year we will have the same panic for her all over again!

Yea I was gonna say. Absolute siege that. Though nothing you can do about it. Have yous somewhere to stay over there yet or has all that hassle to come yet?

Yea I was gonna say. Absolute siege that. Though nothing you can do about it. Have yous somewhere to stay over there yet or has all that hassle to come yet?

Nah nothing we can do. Nothing sorted really. We live in Scotland at the minute, just dying to get out of here! I was in Canada in 2011, in Alberta. Came back to Scotland to finish out my studies with the intention of going back out at some stage. It'll be her first time though. I've been applying for jobs around Calgary but most places won't be hiring until Jan/Feb time (I'm a Greenkeeper). So once I get that sorted I've got some Canadian friends that will hopefully be able to help me out getting a place close to wherever I end up working. If I don't manage to sort a job I've got my old boss to fall back on, the offer is there, but would prefer to go somewhere else.

If all goes to all, I'll just go first and bum around in hostels for a few weeks to get it all sorted - we have a daughter too, so its a massive undertaking for us. But something we are sure we want.

What about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

If I get an IEC visa how long do I have to activate it? Because I don't plan on going until the very end of 2014.

Before Lawlesz gets his panties in a knot, I searched for an answer but didn't find anything.

Nah nothing we can do. Nothing sorted really. We live in Scotland at the minute, just dying to get out of here! I was in Canada in 2011, in Alberta. Came back to Scotland to finish out my studies with the intention of going back out at some stage. It'll be her first time though. I've been applying for jobs around Calgary but most places won't be hiring until Jan/Feb time (I'm a Greenkeeper). So once I get that sorted I've got some Canadian friends that will hopefully be able to help me out getting a place close to wherever I end up working. If I don't manage to sort a job I've got my old boss to fall back on, the offer is there, but would prefer to go somewhere else.

If all goes to all, I'll just go first and bum around in hostels for a few weeks to get it all sorted - we have a daughter too, so its a massive undertaking for us. But something we are sure we want.

What about yourself?
    Indeed. Serious undertaking with kids on tow. Hope it all goes to plan for you and family!

I'm a bit more lucky as I'm 27, single with no kids. My initial plan is to get over to my mate in Edmonton and sort myself out. Plan is to go to the Oil and Gas sector and work as a Lease-hand on the drills.

At the minute I'm working in the Construction in Northern Ireland. Flipping disaster so it is. I finished an Engineering HND this year. Went for an Interview with Norbrook Pharmaceuticals in Newry for a Technician position in August. 4 months on and they are still considering my application. I'm lead to believe the position I put in for isn't available yet. But yea I'm afraid of heading to Canada and getting a phonecall from home saying I got the Job, I will be really pissed. I need the Engineering experience as I have dam all.

So I think I will just apply for the Visa in Jan and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

Liam90 wrote: »
    If I get an IEC visa how long do I have to activate it? Because I don't plan on going until the very end of 2014.

Before Lawlesz gets his panties in a knot, I searched for an answer but didn't find anything.

12 months I think ......

Yes 12 months. If you get the Visa in March 2014, you've got until March 2015 to head over to Canada!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Oz police cert arrived this morning so that's the 2 Certs sorted..all that panic for nothing, annoying the way they said early December as it had alot of people rushing around like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

madma wrote: »
    Oz police cert arrived this morning so that's the 2 Certs sorted..all that panic for nothing, annoying the way they said early December as it had alot of people rushing around like myself

Hi Madma, I also need to apply for oz cert as lived there few years ago. I followed the link on previous post but not sure I filled out correct form - it is NPC that you completed? can I ask how long you were waiting? also for identification I was going to use passport (scan), utility bill (pdf) and credit card details. I need to print out and sign the NCP - is there any way to avoid this? Also did you get driving cert? I wasnt driving when there at all but just emailed victoria roads authority asking to confirm same. Sorry for all the questions, just hope I havent left it too late to get all this sorted in time for phase 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 miak

Aw this thread is so useful! It's mad how many people are in the same boat as me!! Sad too that so many people are in such a panic to get away, and I never thought I would be one of them.

Wondering does anyone know what the story is with translations of police clearance?? I have my Spanish clearance through now but I think it either has to be in French/English? I've no clue about certified translators.. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭sjapok

I've asked this question here on this thread before but the answer I got didn't seem very sure of itself so I'll ask it again.

I'm a newly married 26 year old with no kids. Two questions:
    1. When I apply for the Visa does the fact I'm married impose any restrictions on me or my wife?
    2. Do me and my wife apply for separate Visas?

sjapok wrote: »
    I've asked this question here on this thread before but the answer I got didn't seem very sure of itself so I'll ask it again.

1. When I apply for the Visa does the fact I'm married impose any restrictions on me or my wife?
    2. Do me and my wife still apply for separate Visas?

Nope there's no restrictions you both Have to apply for separate visas yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Delira wrote: »
    You need the garda cert for stage 2 (MyCIC). After you've gotten your Letter of Conditional Acceptance from stage 1 (Kompass), you've 6 months then to complete stage 2. If you're looking to get over to Canada asap though, it's best to have all your stage 2 docs scanned and ready to upload as they review them on a first come first served basis.

Here's some good info on the two stages: http://www.moving2canada.com/planning/iec-canada-visa/[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for this info. So you only really need to have you Passport & Resume sorted for Stage 1? I am not planning on going until late 2014.... I know that's what I read but I am so paniced about doing something wrong I literally get dizzy reading the info!

I am finishing my Resume. I read somewhere that you do not need to include results. I also read in the IEC site somewhere that you should put your Work Experience first before your Education- but the Resume Template has it the other way around. I assume you do not have to use the same colour & font as on the Template? Stupid questions, I know, But I really don't want to mess up anything.

Thanks in advance. W

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Yes 12 months. If you get the Visa in March 2014, you've got until March 2015 to head over to Canada!

Could I add one more question. I searched for the answer but couldn't find it.

If say I apply for a IEC Visa when they come out soon. Say I get it in January 2014 and I don't go to Canada until December 2014 then have I used up 11 months of my Visa or does it only commence once you enter Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 S.Brolly

Could I add one more question. I searched for the answer but couldn't find it.

If say I apply for a IEC Visa when they come out soon. Say I get it in January 2014 and I don't go to Canada until December 2014 then have I used up 11 months of my Visa or does it only commence once you enter Canada?

It will commence from the day you enter canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Judi565

sjapok wrote: »

2. Do me and my wife still apply for separate Visas?

I'm in a similar position and enquired with IEC.

Response was:

IEC applications are assessed on an individual basis. You and your husband should submit separate applications, which will then be processed separately.

Hope that helps!

As Brolly said it will commence once you enter Canada so stop worrying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

One problem with a January opening date - watch the dates on your certificates. Anticipating a possible December opening, two of three of my certs are dated mid-November. The 3 month validity rule takes me mid-February. So, if the IEC closes at the end of Jan and CIC take over the application, mine are valid by just two weeks...:eek:

I know others got certs. ready too so watch the dates!

One problem with a January opening date - watch the dates on your certificates. Anticipating a possible December opening, two of three of my certs are dated mid-November. The 3 month validity rule takes me mid-February. So, if the IEC closes at the end of Jan and CIC take over the application, mine are valid by just two weeks...:eek:

I know others got certs. ready too so watch the dates!
    same yeah my certs the 26th of november so i mean puts me to the end of febuary too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭sjapok

Judi565 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position and enquired with IEC.

Response was:

IEC applications are assessed on an individual basis. You and your husband should submit separate applications, which will then be processed separately.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I asked IEC that question too but they never got back to me!

Someone earlier said that their might be restrictions on my wife working over there but surely that's nonsense. You can't discriminate on the grounds of being married surely!!

Advertisement