Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 S.Brolly

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it works. :)

Did the UK one give notice of an opening date? The Irish one as you know still doesn't have a date. If there's no date yet, there's less of a need to be permenantly connected to the internet? :rolleyes:

Maybe have your smart phone ( assuming u have one) monitoring the iec page for changes so you'll be notified immediately.. http://www.changedetection.com

Lawlesz wrote: »
    I was expecting to have to upload the CV, passport straight away. But its more straight forward, you just put basic details and once you get your WTN you are out of the rat race, and can relax and upload the other stuff. Would be more of a panic uploading that while still racing against everyone.

Thats good to know, i was afraid i would be away from computer at the time and woulnd't be able to upload the docs. Sounds like you may even be able to do the first part on your phone if you're out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

S.Brolly wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly but might be a little naive.. The way things are in this country id say there are loads waiting .some nail biting going on over the head if this process opening lol

yeah even with the amount of people that are waiting if you apply early there should be no issue i think lol unlike the uk iec the irish one isnt done in rounds as far as i know

yeah even with the amount of people that are waiting if you apply early there should be no issue i think lol unlike the uk iec the irish one isnt done in rounds as far as i know

Yup exactly there is no rounds, first come 1st served.. That's what I've read time and time again on the interweb anyway.. Smiles & whistles as soon as ye get the WTN :-)

S.Brolly wrote: »
    Yup exactly there is no rounds, first come 1st served.. That's what I've read time and time again on the interweb anyway.. Smiles & whistles as soon as ye get the WTN :-)

exactly last years iec went in 2 days so i mean the quotas nearly double so we be grand ;)

• Advertisement

exactly last years iec went in 2 days so i mean the quotas nearly double so we be grand ;)

Aye no call to be sweating through the nose 😋. In saying that I'll be at the front scrambling for the finish line lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Right lads, just been trough the process applying with my other half who is a British Citizen. It opened at 3 p.m. On some other forums, people had said they had firefox,chrome,internet explorer,safari opened all at once just in case (which is a bit silly because you are just further clogging upthe page)

So I faked a doctors appointment, got home for half two and spent an agonising half hour waiting. 3 o clock on the button, I hit 'register kompass account'. Basically you fill in your country, an email address and a password. Be aware, the password needs to contain one upper case, be between 8 - 12 charactars and contain a symbol !&@ etc. This threw me because I just used a password that I have used for a while, but it didnt contain a symbol, so I had to resubmit it. Once you confirm this, you get a notice to say you've been sent a confirmation email to activate the account.

Activated her account and logged in. More of the same, fill out details, address contact numbers etc and three security questions. The usual format we use for address didn't fit in their spaces but I'm assuming it'll be ok. Once you have that done, you get a WTN number. I got everything done in about 7 minutes, and she was number 675. By about quarter past three on some of the forums, people were posting that the quota had closed and they had missed out. So you need to be quick. Once you hit 'submit' you cant change anything. Also, if you hit 'submit' more than once, they use your last click, so in effect you could end up with a higher WTN number.

Cue the panic, I worried all evening in case I messed something up, but then saw you can view your file, and all was ok. About 7 this evening she got the request (as a message in her Kompass account) to upload payment and a copy of the ID page of the passport. The payment is very easy, it directs you to a secure site (think it was netbanx) and you can pay by debit or credit card. Then uploaded the passport. So now waiting on further instruction.

Like I say, this is for the UK one, but I assume our one will be similar. I was expecting to have to upload the CV, passport straight away. But its more straight forward, you just put basic details and once you get your WTN you are out of the rat race, and can relax and upload the other stuff. Would be more of a panic uploading that while still racing against everyone.

So now just may wait and see. The countdown to opening is horrible, I got the IEC in 2011 and posted it all on paper - much easier.

Oh one more thing, on some forums, second time applicants were asked for their previous WTN number so I would have that handy.

so you dont have to enter any passport details such as expiry date etc until after you get your WTN number?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

Okay, one question about the process. I got my IEC in 2012, moved here this year (it was good til April). That was only the one year, the next one chaned it to two. And that was before Kompass, I had to post it. According to ICAN, I can reapply this time. How do I mark that my IEC was only for one year, is that an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 butterflydream

So nervous about it all...especially as the UK ones went in 20 mins but Im supposing last years were 3 days and there was only 6350 so hopefully wont have to be speedy gonzalez with my typing. I heard about UK problems with uploading cv as it wasnt pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

L5 wrote: »
    so you dont have to enter any passport details such as expiry date etc until after you get your WTN number?

Just the number and expiry date, but no uploading or anything which is what we had been led to believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

Right lads, just been trough the process applying with my other half who is a British Citizen. It opened at 3 p.m. On some other forums, people had said they had firefox,chrome,internet explorer,safari opened all at once just in case (which is a bit silly because you are just further clogging upthe page)

So I faked a doctors appointment, got home for half two and spent an agonising half hour waiting. 3 o clock on the button, I hit 'register kompass account'. Basically you fill in your country, an email address and a password. Be aware, the password needs to contain one upper case, be between 8 - 12 charactars and contain a symbol !&@ etc. This threw me because I just used a password that I have used for a while, but it didnt contain a symbol, so I had to resubmit it. Once you confirm this, you get a notice to say you've been sent a confirmation email to activate the account.

Activated her account and logged in. More of the same, fill out details, address contact numbers etc and three security questions. The usual format we use for address didn't fit in their spaces but I'm assuming it'll be ok. Once you have that done, you get a WTN number. I got everything done in about 7 minutes, and she was number 675. By about quarter past three on some of the forums, people were posting that the quota had closed and they had missed out. So you need to be quick. Once you hit 'submit' you cant change anything. Also, if you hit 'submit' more than once, they use your last click, so in effect you could end up with a higher WTN number.

Cue the panic, I worried all evening in case I messed something up, but then saw you can view your file, and all was ok. About 7 this evening she got the request (as a message in her Kompass account) to upload payment and a copy of the ID page of the passport. The payment is very easy, it directs you to a secure site (think it was netbanx) and you can pay by debit or credit card. Then uploaded the passport. So now waiting on further instruction.

Like I say, this is for the UK one, but I assume our one will be similar. I was expecting to have to upload the CV, passport straight away. But its more straight forward, you just put basic details and once you get your WTN you are out of the rat race, and can relax and upload the other stuff. Would be more of a panic uploading that while still racing against everyone.

So now just may wait and see. The countdown to opening is horrible, I got the IEC in 2011 and posted it all on paper - much easier.

Oh one more thing, on some forums, second time applicants were asked for their previous WTN number so I would have that handy.

So you don't have to input your education and work history in the first part?This is done after you receive your wtn?

Marko10 wrote: »
    So you don't have to input your education and work history in the first part?This is done after you receive your wtn?

All you need is your passport number, expiry date, family name, given name, WTN number from previous or current IEC, mailing address, current address, permanent address, phone number.

There's a few other bits where you've to read bits and agree to the terms of the IEC etc. And like I said, the password kinda threw me a little because I had to re enter it. But basically, the above documents and they issue you your WTN on the screen straight away. They also message your kompass account, saying they've started the process or some such.

Few hours later, she got the email asking her to upload her passport and resume. You have ten days to do this before you lose your spot. Still not had to enter employment history or anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

Do you still need to get a Garda clearance cert to apply or does this happen at a later stage? Ive seen it mentioned on a few older threads but it doesnt mention anything about it on the IEC Required Documents page.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

All you need is your passport number, expiry date, family name, given name, WTN number from previous or current IEC, mailing address, current address, permanent address, phone number.

There's a few other bits where you've to read bits and agree to the terms of the IEC etc. And like I said, the password kinda threw me a little because I had to re enter it. But basically, the above documents and they issue you your WTN on the screen straight away. They also message your kompass account, saying they've started the process or some such.

Few hours later, she got the email asking her to upload her passport and resume. You have ten days to do this before you lose your spot. Still not had to enter employment history or anything yet.

Thanks for the information Lawlesz. Sounds very straightforward.And it's great you can now pay with debit/credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MarianneH

Quick question hope someone can shed some light.
    Both me and my other half are going to apply to the 2014 quota. We have two kids one from a previous realtionship so I have my affidavit for her declaring sole guardenship.
    Should I put both the kids under my dependents or should we put our son under my oh dependents and I put my daughter on mine?
    They are 6 & 1
    Or do we have to apply for visas for them too..
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MarianneH

I just read this on another forum of what was on her forms when applying thirst "Your dependents(s) (i.e. wife/ husband/common-law spouse, child/children) may not enter and reside in Canada by virtue of your IEC application/participation. Each dependant of an IEC applicant/ participant must submit a seperate application to enter and reside in Canada (e.g. as a visitor, worker or student) to IEC and / or Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
    Confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

So does that mean I have to apply online once for me, and once for my two year old son,???????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Travelling the next couple of days so nervous that I'll miss out. Why do they spring it on us and let the U.K. have notice?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Travelling the next couple of days so nervous that I'll miss out. Why do they spring it on us and let the U.K. have notice?

we get notice too genrally a couple of days in advance !

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

I'm currently in Canada on the 2 year visa, just my opinion but;
    Do the application yourself, it's not that hard, don't pay an incompetent 3rd party agency, a lot of people got burnt by them last year, trust me when I say run a mile!!
    Also, reading this thread last year confused more people than helped people with the application process and heresay and miss information and people asking silly questions over and over again caused for a lot of confusion.
    So my advice, use it if you wish, stay calm, read the instructions, keep an eye on the CIC website religiously until it opens and get your spot ASAP, you have plenty time then to chase police certs etc, you have something like 90 days to complete your application once you have been allocated a spot within the 10k and finally, stay away from this fckn thread it will confuse you rather than help you trust me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 GrahamM23

Hello all

I've got a new one for yous.

My girlfriend is applying for the IEC 2014 and we've been reading up on the process a lot and we're pretty confident we're ready for the big day when the visas open for sale.

We're concerned about one small thing though, her name... She was born in Dublin and has lived there all her life. She was born before her parents got married though, so on her birth cert, she has her mothers last name. but on her passport and all her other I.D.'s she has her father's last name.

Last summer we went to apply for social walfare for her and there was a lot of problems getting it because of this mix up. The government of Ireland have her with her mother's last name so her PPS number has that last name attached to it to, but it's not the name she uses every day.

This was the first time in her 23 years that there has been a problem with her last name, to her it's just always been her father's last name. So my question is, will this be a problem when applying for the IEC? will the ask for any PPS details or anything like that?

If anyone can help us with this that'd be great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GrahamM23

Hello all

My girlfriend is applying for the IEC 2014 and we've been reading up on the process a lot and we're pretty confident we're ready for the big day when the visas open for sale.

We're concerned about one small thing though, her name... She was born in Dublin and has lived there all her life. She was born before her parents got married though, so on her birth cert, she has her mothers last name. but on her passport and all her other I.D.'s she has her father's last name.

Last summer we went to apply for social walfare for her and there was a lot of problems getting it because of this mix up. The government of Ireland have her with her mother's last name so her PPS number has that last name attached to it to, but it's not the name she uses every day.

This was the first time in her 23 years that there has been a problem with her last name, to her it's just always been her father's last name. So my question is, will this be a problem when applying for the IEC? will the ask for any PPS details or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

GrahamM23 wrote: »
    Hello all

Hi Graham, I'm not sure where you've been reading up on the process but I think you might've gotten some wrong information somewhere. At no stage does a birth cert need to be submitted to IEC. The only thing it's needed for is when you're applying for your Garda cert and I'm sure if she has other official IDs and a PPS number etc, that it could be straightened out with them no problem. Just head down your local station soon and talk to them about it. Best of luck!

gccrowley1 wrote: »
    So does that mean I have to apply online once for me, and once for my two year old son,???????

I am hoping to go with my other half and our one year old daughter. As far as I am aware, me and my OH need to apply for seperate IEC's (well I'm 100% sure on that) and then declare our daughter as a dependant upon arrival.

The bit where it states that nobody can travel as a dependent on an IEC is for, say, a wife wanting to travel with her husband who has got an IEC. I think there is restrictions if the child is school going age, as they wouldn't be issued a study permit.

But in general if the child will not be attending school they will be admitted to the country as a dependent providing you show you have enough money to support the child for the duration of your stay

• Registered Users Posts: 23 proevmaster

Hey guys.

I'm waiting for the application to open like many of you but I've been to Canada for a year before in 2009. I've noticed that the previous wtn number may be required but I made the application through Usit and I cant find the wtn in the emails I got (if I got it at all). Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Judi565

Hey guys.

I'm waiting for the application to open like many of you but I've been to Canada for a year before in 2009. I've noticed that the previous wtn number may be required but I made the application through Usit and I cant find the wtn in the emails I got (if I got it at all). Anyone have any ideas?

I was wondering the same thing. Applied back in 2006 through USIT and everything was filled out in hardcopy and sent by post as far as I can remember. Can't find anything in emails either.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

I stopped in at ICAN in Toronto today to ask that exact question. Kathy said WTN is not a factor in this kind of case.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fredchest

Hi,
    what's the website to resize a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

fredchest wrote: »
    Hi,
    what's the website to resize a photo?

google will help you here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 domatron

Have a quick question regarding the Garda clearance needed for the second stage of the visa application.
    I recently requested my clearance from the Gardi and I have a conviction from 2012 for careless driving for which I received a e300 fine in court.
    This was a minor conviction, but does however still appear on the clearance I will be using for the visa process.
    Will, does anyone think, this reflect negatively on my visa application???

Advertisement