Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

Regarding the Resume for the IEC appliction, does it need to be properly formatted? looking spiffy?

I mean, I'm a designer and I have a heavily edited CV which I can't translate purely into type (illustrations, lots of icon usage etc.)

I just did mine very basic, 4 sections in the format that they've asked. Is that all that's required?

I just had these horrible thoughts of them rejecting the Resume as it very plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    Regarding the Resume for the IEC appliction, does it need to be properly formatted? looking spiffy?

I mean, I'm a designer and I have a heavily edited CV which I can't translate purely into type (illustrations, lots of icon usage etc.)

I just did mine very basic, 4 sections in the format that they've asked. Is that all that's required?

I just had these horrible thoughts of them rejecting the Resume as it very plain.

I think as long as its easy to read and follows the format you'll be fine, you could look at sample resumes for your field later on to see how to make it attractive. Mine is in a simple sans serif font, with clear headings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

No one knows of any case where a place was delayed or refused because of the resume. It seems like they look for a basic pass and move on. I also deleted everything off my CV and rebuilt the resume with only the info. they required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

USIT just texted me saying it's open...but the IEC site doesn't have it open yet! Me nerves! Anyone have any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dogg2

Hi Guys
    I was looking into going to Canada as well, I have traveled before to work and settle for 1 to 2 years. I have done this on my own and with other people and find that doing it with other people was easier when settling in, getting apartment sorted etc. Is there any website that joins people together when travelling to settle down for work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

USIT just texted me saying it's open...but the IEC site doesn't have it open yet! Me nerves! Anyone have any info?

Ya I got that too? does this mean if you go through usit your out of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

It's not open. There's nothing on the main website yet. USIT are only saying that to make you's go through them and pay up extra. Sit tight and don't go through the 3rd parties!
    What does USIT provide?

Participation in the Work in Canada Programme does not guarantee an IEC visa (this is allotted by the Canadian government). But USIT will walk you through the entire application process, assist you with the required paperwork and provide support ahead of your departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

It's important to remember that USIT is run by scumbags and incompetents. I had a few meetings with them a few years ago, never again. They didn't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Loblox wrote: »
    I stopped in at ICAN in Toronto today to ask that exact question. Kathy said WTN is not a factor in this kind of case.

It was a factor when the UK one opened, they asked for a WTN number or Application Date

I'm worried about this because I can't provide either -I've trawled my emails and can't find a WTN, and have no idea what the application date is, it could be the date I posted the info (hard copy), date I paid the fee, date London received it, date Paris received it -could be any one of them.

So I have no clue what I am going to put down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

That text basically just means "we're ready to take your money to do a job you could do by yourself".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 dcoyle277

IrishTeddi wrote: »

I'm in the same boat, I created a new resume with the info they said to use but I will be doing a second one for looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 smithweiser

The USIT site says that the Canadian work visa program is open.

But it's not on the iec website, unless they have some agreement or something or it's just a deposit scam by usit.

anyway maybe they know something.. So hopefully it's open soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

The USIT site says that the Canadian work visa program is open.

But it's not on the iec website, unless they have some agreement or something or it's just a deposit scam by usit.

anyway maybe they know something.. So hopefully it's open soon.

Hi Smith,

Usit has no barings on the release of the IEC. They're merely a third party service and have opened the Visa application in the run up to the actual Visa's being released.

I rang them the day that they released it, and it's just to get people prepared for the release of the Visas.

Having said that, given what I've been reading, I've decided not to use them. They seem to be more hassle than actually providing help, and it will cost you more in the long run (application fees etc) than it would if you did it off your own steam.

Just something to consider ;)

*** P.S : click this link https://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Canadian-Immigration-Centre/154674707978462?hc_location=timeline

It's the Canadian Embassy Facebook page. They actually update their page quite frequently, and the last message in relation to the Visas, is that it's more than likely January at this stage.

I love how people rely on Usit for info, when a mere Facebook page is more up to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

fredchest wrote: »
    Hi,
    what's the website to resize a photo?

http://www.idphoto4you.com/

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this query I posted last week i.e. what to answer when they ask for WTN or application date of previous participation
    Lawlesz wrote: »
    It was a factor when the UK one opened, they asked for a WTN number or Application Date

I'm worried about this because I can't provide either -I've trawled my emails and can't find a WTN, and have no idea what the application date is, it could be the date I posted the info (hard copy), date I paid the fee, date London received it, date Paris received it -could be any one of them.

So I have no clue what I am going to put down

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Galaxy191

Hi all,

So these are going to sound like very basic questions from someone who has only very recently decided they want to go to Canada in 2014.

I've started researching and from what I can see I am probably waaaay behind in getting everything sorted for this years applications..seems like everyone else has had there act together months ago. Can anyone tell me how long it takes get organised before the applications open (I hear this is meant to be happening early January - do I have time?)?

Also, I've tried registering a Kompass account through this link (https://iec-eic.international.gc.ca/Login.aspx?regionCode=IE&lang=en) but all I get is a message saying the 2013 reg is closed and 2014 should be available autumn 2013.....yet there is still no option to reg for 2014!! Have I missed it?? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

I know in comparison to most of you I have only had my heart set on jetting off very recently..but still I really don't want to have to wait until 2015!!

Fingers crossed! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

The Visa resume is very bare, that would hardly be the template used looking for work out there

Random question, do I put in the two years I did in college then dropped out cause I didnt like the course or leave it out all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

Lawlesz wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this query I posted last week i.e. what to answer when they ask for WTN or application date of previous participation

im the same, because i got a visa 3 years ago and dont have a WTN number,i was granted the visa but never actually entered the country because i broke my ankle, (was a summer holiday),could this be a problem?

alexsmith wrote: »
    im the same, because i got a visa 3 years ago and dont have a WTN number,i was granted the visa but never actually entered the country because i broke my ankle, (was a summer holiday),could this be a problem?

Like I say, I'm not sure what to do about the WTN but if you're asking if your non participation will affect you, then I don't think it will.

I've seen that question asked on other forums and the general consensus is that they'll not be bothered by it.

Which I was surprised by tbh, because from their point of view people who don't participate have used a space that could have gone to another willing unlucky applicant

I know you've had a valid reason, I'm just speaking in general terms!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hey guys,

Signed up with USIT a few days ago. Not sure what to do next. Any tips?
    REALLY wanna travel their in 2014, Plan A via work, but if that doesn't look like happening, the normal way.

I didn't notice an FAQ which is why I'm posting here!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Macanghoill

The initial payment - do you think I'll only be able to make it via online banking? It's a long story, but I won't be able to access my account until a couple weeks into Jan, and if the date comes up before then I could be in trouble. I've got a debit card but not a credit card. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Macanghoill

Also - might be a silly question, but I'm I'm living in the UK, I presume I still go through the Irish system because that's the passport I have?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

I started reading the first couple of pages of this thread and their seems to be a lot of different answers to questions people seem to be giving different answers so it will only confuse me even more if I read through the whole thing so i would really appreciate if someone could answer these for me.

Is it true that only a 1000 or 2000 visas are released to Ireland each year which means they will sell out within a few hours?

I know no official date has been announced yet but is it expected to be around the first of January?

At the minute I am about 85% sure I want to go to Canada this year it will all depend on personal things that will happen in the next 2 - 3 weeks so if I apply for a visa do I have to pay the fee off in full straight away to secure my place or can I hold off and then cancel it if I am not going (Because if I don't apply and want to go in 3 weeks I cannot hang around in Ireland for another year waiting to go)? I was at a few of the jobs fairs and I was told by someone there that if you apply for a visa, get it and don't end up going it will cause you a lot of problems when you go to apply for another because I am definitely going to Canada I am not 100% sure if it will be in the next year.

Which leads me to my next question when if you apply for the visa and you get accepted how long do you have to use it? Could apply it for it next week then not use it until March 2015 or does it have to be used by December 31st 2014.

My final question then is what do you need when applying? Do you need lots of documents and stuff that will take weeks to get?

Sorry if these questions have been asked already but I have read a couple of threads on here and searched google and most people seem to have differing opinions on all of it so I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 elnino08

stevie1122 wrote: »
    I started reading the first couple of pages of this thread and their seems to be a lot of different answers to questions people seem to be giving different answers so it will only confuse me even more if I read through the whole thing so i would really appreciate if someone could answer these for me.

Is it true that only a 1000 or 2000 visas are released to Ireland each year which means they will sell out within a few hours?

I know no official date has been announced yet but is it expected to be around the first of January?

At the minute I am about 85% sure I want to go to Canada this year it will all depend on personal things that will happen in the next 2 - 3 weeks so if I apply for a visa do I have to pay the fee off in full straight away to secure my place or can I hold off and then cancel it if I am not going (Because if I don't apply and want to go in 3 weeks I cannot hang around in Ireland for another year waiting to go)? I was at a few of the jobs fairs and I was told by someone there that if you apply for a visa, get it and don't end up going it will cause you a lot of problems when you go to apply for another because I am definitely going to Canada I am not 100% sure if it will be in the next year.

Which leads me to my next question when if you apply for the visa and you get accepted how long do you have to use it? Could apply it for it next week then not use it until March 2015 or does it have to be used by December 31st 2014.

My final question then is what do you need when applying? Do you need lots of documents and stuff that will take weeks to get?

Sorry if these questions have been asked already but I have read a couple of threads on here and searched google and most people seem to have differing opinions on all of it so I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks
    10,000 visas this yr, 6000 last yr. Ye have a year to activate it and the 2 yrs start from when you enter Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I just saw that the first two rounds sold out and I completely missed them! Does anyone know when the third round is likely to be out? I'm hopefully starting a job on a temp contract in January to finished saving with and hoping to move over in March/April but really, REALLY want to have this sorted beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Billy86 wrote: »
    I just saw that the first two rounds sold out and I completely missed them! Does anyone know when the third round is likely to be out? I'm hopefully starting a job on a temp contract in January to finished saving with and hoping to move over in March/April but really, REALLY want to have this sorted beforehand!

Are you talking about the UK iec visa? this forum is usually aimed at the irish one.

gary27 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the UK iec visa? this forum is usually aimed at the irish one.
    Ahh, that might have been it. I'm having a nightmare of a time finding out where to apply and/or when they are out (I had thought it would be early Feb, think that was what it was last year?) so might have seen that and panicked.

Is there anywhere to apply in advance or at least keep track of when the next ones will be out? I'm just finding the whole thing extremely difficult to get info on compared to when I got one for Australia a few years back. Any help would be hugely appreciated! :)

Ahh, that might have been it. I'm having a nightmare of a time finding out where to apply and/or when they are out (I had thought it would be early Feb, think that was what it was last year?) so might have seen that and panicked.

Is there anywhere to apply in advance or at least keep track of when the next ones will be out? I'm just finding the whole thing extremely difficult to get info on compared to when I got one for Australia a few years back. Any help would be hugely appreciated! :)

check the link regularly;
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng

if you look on the left hand side of the page, there is a step by step guide and the kompass register/login link, you cant create the kompass account until it opens which is the first step in applying for your visa.
    must sure you have an up to date cv, and have a passport for the first step regarding the kompass account.
    second step will require police certs, photo etc.

Oh, ok! Going to sound really stupid here but I'm guessing they just haven't updated it since last year? I saw that page a few times and figured Google was just throwing me to that one since it would have been so popular over the last year.

Cheers for the rest, you're a life-saver. I'll be on that first thing tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Oh, ok! Going to sound really stupid here but I'm guessing they just haven't updated it since last year? I saw that page a few times and figured Google was just throwing me to that one since it would have been so popular over the last year.

Cheers for the rest, you're a life-saver. I'll be on that first thing tomorrow!

no its not updated for the 2014 visas yet,
    last years visas were opened at the end of january for the irish one and bear in mind that was the first year for it online so it should run more smoothly this year be open earlier as I see the uk one is already open and closed for the first two rounds with one remaining. not sure if the irish one does the round releases.

Advertisement