Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah I think it was just one block last year - a guy I worked with just got in in the nick of time. They might do it like that this year, but it's certainly not a risk I'm willing to take!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yeah I think it was just one block last year - a guy I worked with just got in in the nick of time. They might do it like that this year, but it's certainly not a risk I'm willing to take!

just keep checking their site and get your documents ready, also you can check through my posts as i have answered a lot questions which may be of use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

gary27 wrote: »
    just keep checking their site and get your documents ready, also you can check through my posts as i have answered a lot questions which may be of use to you.

i assume just the passport and cv documents scanned and up to date will only be needed for the first steps,correct?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

elnino08 wrote: »
    10,000 visas this yr, 6000 last yr. Ye have a year to activate it and the 2 yrs start from when you enter Canada.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Did anyone else see the post from someone on here about the updated IEC in another EU country? I don't know where the post is, I think his girlfriend did the 2014 application. He said he it was simplified based on 2013's application, less fiddling around with boxes and uploads - things just worked. Also, I recall he said that the payment section was simplified - a direct link to pay by visa/laser. Surely we'll get the updated format too.

I wonder will there be any differences in the process now that the places have doubled to 10,700? Two rounds or three maybe, like the UK?

Does anyone know how much notice people got for the 2013 IEC? Was the opening notified 2 weeks beforehand or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Hi guys.

I don't really know much about the process other than the visa is only given to a certain amount of applicants, and I haven't really been keen to go to Canada before, but due to recent events, I need to get out of Ireland, can't stay here anymore and while Canada would not be my first choice, I wouldn't mind moving there as its still only 7 odd hours from home.

I am aware the visa thing is opening soon - what do I need in order to apply?

Did anyone else see the post from someone on here about the updated IEC in another EU country? I don't know where the post is, I think his girlfriend did the 2014 application. He said he it was simplified based on 2013's application, less fiddling around with boxes and uploads - things just worked. Also, I recall he said that the payment section was simplified - a direct link to pay by visa/laser. Surely we'll get the updated format too.

I wonder will there be any differences in the process now that the places have doubled to 10,700? Two rounds or three maybe, like the UK?

Does anyone know how much notice people got for the 2013 IEC? Was the opening notified 2 weeks beforehand or something?

Last year the irish iec visas were released in one go but the uk one was released in rounds.

not much in terms of notice just kept checking the iec site and at the end of january saw it had opened and applied that very minute.

alexsmith wrote: »
    i assume just the passport and cv documents scanned and up to date will only be needed for the first steps,correct?

don't hold me to it, but as I recall I only need the passport details and cv dates of employment to apply for the first stage on kompass but we had to upload a scanned receipt of payment proving we paid the visa fee when they ask for payment and proof, its the second stage which needs all your documents uploaded etc.

gary27 wrote: »
    Last year the irish iec visas were released in one go but the uk one was released in rounds.

not much in terms of notice just kept checking the iec site and at the end of january saw it had opened and applied that very minute.

Thanks for the reply. Really? They didn't give an opening date, just check every day? Holy shI$. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hippo2472

Does anyone know, do we need to have return flights booked? Also I know on the ICE page we must have insurance for the duration of our entire stay (2yrs), however it is not possible to get two year travel insurance in Ireland has far as my research as shown? Anybody got any thoughts on this?

hippo2472 wrote: »
    Does anyone know, do we need to have return flights booked?

I doubt it sure if you don't get a visa the flight would be of no use.

Lawlesz wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this query I posted last week i.e. what to answer when they ask for WTN or application date of previous participation

First off thanks Lawlesz for all your previous posts on this, very helpful. I'm in a similar situation re past WTN, I applied under USIT in 2010. I had since removed the actually paper visa itself out of my passport and since I did it all through USIT I had no copies of any previous WTN numbers. However I did find a scanned copy of my letter of entry for 2010, which has both an authorization number U984******' and a client ID number 62******. I also see that the actual stamp on my passport that I got when I entered Canada in 2010 also has my authorization number hand written on it by (by the border agent). Therefore I wonder in 2010 or previous years, before they revamped the process, was there even a WTN, instead was it just an authorization number we got, along with a client number. Did you see any references to these terms when you were doing the UK process with your partner?

I'm not sure what you mean when you/they refer to previous application date? Would this not be the date wee entered Canada on our previous visa, which would be stamped in our passports?

stevie1122 wrote: »
    I doubt it sure if you don't get a visa the flight would be of no use.

For the border agent I mean, when entering Canada. You need to be able to prove you have sufficient funds and insurance, though I'm not sure if they also might want to see your return flight too. When I entered Canada before in 2010 my friend, who was not on the programme but instead was a visiting tourist (aka illegal), was not able to prove sufficient funds to last the 6 months he was entitled to as a tourist, so the border agent instead stamped his tourist visa down as valid for only 3 months instead.

I don't know about that but I think this thread is only for applying for the actual visa itself which is why I thought you meant that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jaybommber

Right so a quickie.. when it finally opens
    If I open kompass account send passport and resume details and they get back to me.. do I have a Place reserved then or do I have to complete stage 2 to get a place reserved.. Just waiting on garda cert and aussie cert..
    I am in Canada on the 1 year visa and really want the 2 yr one with no hiccups
    any help will be great..
    and any advise from anyone who did the repeat from canada and what trouble did you run into?
    Thanks Again

Thanks for the reply. Really? They didn't give an opening date, just check every day? Holy shI$. :eek:

no opening date was given last year as it was switching to the online system, all i can say is check their website everyday around toronto time in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

hippo2472 wrote: »
    Does anyone know, do we need to have return flights booked? Also I know on the ICE page we must have insurance for the duration of our entire stay (2yrs), however it is not possible to get two year travel insurance in Ireland has far as my research as shown? Anybody got any thoughts on this?

look for packpackers insurance .you can get it here in ireland and for 2 years just google or search the fourms theres loads on it

look for packpackers insurance .you can get it here in ireland and for 2 years just google or search the fourms theres loads on it

I googled it too, I got a quote from about 5 different places and they all limited it to 1 year. I contacted a few more directly for quotes and didn't get a word back. Which places did you see did 2 years?

I googled it too, I got a quote from about 5 different places and they all limited it to 1 year. I contacted a few more directly for quotes and didn't get a word back. Which places did you see did 2 years?

https://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/index.asp# allow a maximum of like 730 days theres a few others im not on my pc but there others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

According to the Moving to Canada facebook page the IEC will give 48 hours notice
    before opening!

Another quick question but my passport is up in August I just filled in the form to send off for another one and will be posting it tomorrow if the post offices are open. I read in the rules that they will only grant a visa up to when your passport expires so will they accept a receipt or anything that if you are waiting on a new passport to arrive in the post because I would imagine it will be two weeks or longer by the time the time I actually receive this new one.

Marko10 wrote: »
    According to the Moving to Canada facebook page the IEC will give 48 hours notice
    before opening!

Thanks buddy. :) It's been hell for the last while, trying to keep connecting to the net all the time, smartphone, tablet etc. in case you miss the rush! I wasn't sure. I did take a peek in one of last year's threads and found people talking about 'opening week ahead' and they were excited. I think they were informed a couple of days or a week before. This is better than no notice!

Like many here I'm sure, with crappy prospects and having saved and prepared for the last year, it would be miserable to miss out now...:eek: Two days notice is plenty for me.

stevie1122 wrote: »
    Another quick question but my passport is up in August I just filled in the form to send off for another one and will be posting it tomorrow if the post offices are open. I read in the rules that they will only grant a visa up to when your passport expires so will they accept a receipt or anything that if you are waiting on a new passport to arrive in the post because I would imagine it will be two weeks or longer by the time the time I actually receive this new one.

Yes it's true, they will only issue a work permit up to the max of 2 years, or less if your passport ends sooner, when the immigration officer meets you at the airport. I agree it's a good plan! Get the full two years. :rolleyes:

https://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/index.asp# allow a maximum of like 730 days theres a few others im not on my pc but there others

I really appreciate that. So many limited to one year. Thanks again. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Charley747

Hi,

I am a first time contributor to Boards.ie and am interested in obtaining a visa for Canada in 2014. I have two questions and would greatly appreciate your help as follows:
    1. My boyfriend and I wish to apply for the visas, do we apply together under one Kompass account?
    1. My boyfriend's passport expires November 2014 we are currently in the process of applying for a new one, if the visa's are realised before we can obtain a new passport will our application be objected on this basis?
    Thanks in advance!

Charley747 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a first time contributor to Boards.ie and am interested in obtaining a visa for Canada in 2014. I have two questions and would greatly appreciate your help as follows:
    1. My boyfriend and I wish to apply for the visas, do we apply together under one Kompass account?
    1. My boyfriend's passport expires November 2014 we are currently in the process of applying for a new one, if the visa's are realised before we can obtain a new passport will our application be objected on this basis?
    Thanks in advance!

seperate accounts cant apply together and no not having the passport shouldnt affect it you just need to have the passport that you applied on with you when you go to go im sure

theres loads of guides online if you google or search the fourms here

• Registered Users Posts: 5 colm6mw

Hey guys, quick question: My girlfriend and I are hoping to move in the next few months once we can get the visas sorted. She's Spanish and we're wondering if anyone here has had experience with getting the visas for Spanish people? There's only a tiny amount released for Spain so we're a little freaked out at the thought of them being sold out! Keeping an eye on the IEC site but there seems to be no signs of a release date or anything appearing yet. Any info would be much appreciated!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭RonnieRocket

For those planning the move to Canada for work, please bear in mind the current unemployment rates for the different provinces. While most of you will enter through Toronto (Ontario) or Vancouver (British Columbia), Saskatchewan and Alberta are crying out for workers. Not just construction, but also hotel, retail and bar staff to serve the construction workers. Needless to say, stay far away from the depressing Eastern provinces. They have are so much like Ireland it will be like you never left home.

hw0sr4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

How long would I have for the second part off the visa, I have yet to get back my Australia clearance

Advertisement