Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Is there a certain length of time you have before you activate the visa? I know the start date is from when you enter the country but is their a certain date you have to enter by?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AntDen

The way I am looking at this is from an optimists prospective:

UK Population approx 63 million. Number of visas available: 5350 split into three rounds. People already had accounts set up from 2013 and are renewing for there second year visa.

Ireland & NI population approx 7 million. Number of visas available: Possible 10,000. New accounts must be set up for 2014 so nobody has a previous advantage.

Also the UK round 3 is still open and people are been put on a waiting list. If this happens for Irish also then I don't think there will be much of an issue getting the visa. The amount of questions I have seen on forums/ Facebook of people not even really sure of what they need to acquire a visa and also those who say that they might just apply and not even bother to get the visa. "Just keeping their options open".

Also, emigration in Ireland is on the decrease. Everyone has already left. Although people are saying the demand is up this year, I don't think it is much different from last year.

All remain positive and do what you can to get your visa. The hardcore fans of the IEC who have done their research and are really wanting to get this visa and go and live in Canada I believe will have no problem once they follow the process and just stay calm :)

All should be good. Good luck everyone :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 TMcG1990

Could I just ask anyone advice and plans on flights?

The '239euro flights to Toronto' Sale with Aer Lingus ends Sunday. So I'd like to know are you guys prebooking your flights before you get the letter of acceptance or will you be waiting until you get your letter and hoping to god there will be deals after?

Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

They are hardly going to draw this out til nxt week r they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

TMcG1990 wrote: »
    Could I just ask anyone advice and plans on flights?

The '239euro flights to Toronto' Sale with Aer Lingus ends Sunday. So I'd like to know are you guys prebooking your flights before you get the letter of acceptance or will you be waiting until you get your letter and hoping to god there will be deals after?

Cheers! :)

As soon as I get the conditional offer then I'll book flights.

GG - Yeah I'm wondering the same, I really hope they don't draw it out until next week. I think we're the last of the 6 priority, centralised countries so at least we can't be far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Snuggie

GrumPy wrote: »
    Only Stage 2, the bulk of the application. Stage 1 seem to just comprise of (from what I understand):
    • Creating a kompass account
    • Logging into that account
    • Filling in initial person details
    • Attach resume and passport PDFs
    And finally, you typically have 10 days to make payment.

Stage 2 opens 6-8 weeks afterwards, afaik.

Hi, I got my Garda clearance dated the 7th NOV, and a UK clearance dated the 28th nov. I was preparing for IEC to come out early DEC. Do you think I will have to get new clearance forms sent out ? will these clearance forms be considered out of date by stage two. If so, should I wait until stage one comes out before requesting new certs? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sloth89

This may be a ridiculous question but here goes...I live in NI and am applying through Irish IEC. Received my UK police certificate before Christmas but am just thinking should I have applied for a Garda cert (even though I've never lived south of the border)?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

I just have 2 quick questions and would be really grateful if someone could answer them.

To anyone who applied to the Garda clearance cert. I applied for mine last week I went to my local station with the form filled out but was told I had to post the form off to the address in Tipperary that's written at the bottom but a friend of mine applied for his cert before Christmas he said all he had to do was post the letter to this local station addressed to the superintendent then they sent him out the cert about a week later.

I just want to make sure I have applied for the right thing. This is the form I sent off

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Data%20Protection%20F20%20-%20Nov%2012.pdf

Then in regards to the CV do you just fill out the bare minimum it says in the template in that format like for education only include your college education because it doesn't really go into great detail and I if I am lucky enough to get an application in I don't want to be rejected on something stupid like not having filled out the CV properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lemonworld23

Hey so all you have to do is type up this and send to your local garda station:

Name
    Date of Birth
    Current Address
    Any Address you have lived in the past 2 years
    And Why you want the garda clearance

That is all you dont need to download anything from the Gardai site, i got mine in 6 days :) hope that helps :D

Thanks very much I appreciate the quick answer I will send one of those off tomrrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

stevie1122 wrote: »
    I just have 2 quick questions and would be really grateful if someone could answer them.

To anyone who applied to the Garda clearance cert. I applied for mine last week I went to my local station with the form filled out but was told I had to post the form off to the address in Tipperary that's written at the bottom but a friend of mine applied for his cert before Christmas he said all he had to do was post the letter to this local station addressed to the superintendent then they sent him out the cert about a week later.

I just want to make sure I have applied for the right thing. This is the form I sent off

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Data%20Protection%20F20%20-%20Nov%2012.pdf

Then in regards to the CV do you just fill out the bare minimum it says in the template in that format like for education only include your college education because it doesn't really go into great detail and I if I am lucky enough to get an application in I don't want to be rejected on something stupid like not having filled out the CV properly.
    Hey so all you have to do is type up this and send to your local garda station:

Name
    Date of Birth
    Current Address
    Any Address you have lived in the past 2 years
    And Why you want the garda clearance

That is all you dont need to download anything from the Gardai site, i got mine in 6 days :) hope that helps :D

I went into my garda station and got a form that i had to fill out but it wasnt that one, that looks like an access to your records rather than a clearance form.

The form i got just wanted the same as the above poster mentioned and then what country was the clearance for. It was also free, whereas you have to pay a small fee for your garda records which is why i think thats what they gave you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

All the visas gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

billy2012 wrote: »
    All the visas gone?

Jaysus,

You gave me a heart attack! :eek:

They haven't been released yet, I thought I missed it or something for a second!

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

All the visas gone?

Sheesh, don't say stuff like that in here-we're all jumpy enough as it is!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Jaysus,

You gave me a heart attack! :eek:

They haven't been released yet, I thought I missed it or something for a second!

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

Sweet.

Thanks for the link.

Thanks I sent that letter off to my local station this morning hopefully they don't take their time and send it back quickly.

Vetting in Tipperary and certificate of character are two totally different forms.
    For Canada, you only need the certificate of character, which is a short, very basic form you can get at your local station.

Vetting, and sending anything to Tipp is the incorrect form and will not suffice for the application afaik.

EDIT: The vetting form is actually much more in depth, and probably more than enough for the application; but it's NOT what they ask for - so, the safe bet is get the correct form.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Hi guys,

I was holding out a lot of hope that the Irish visas would open this week, but it doesn't look like they're going to be out before next week at the earliest so here's my predicament:

I got a visa last year (from the 2013 batch) and I need to be in Canada to activate it by the end of February. My boyfriend doesn't have his visa yet and up until now we were trying to stay optimistic that he would be in with a good chance of having his visa approved by the time I had to leave so we could go together.

My question is this: If he were to enter Canada as a tourist would he have problems being allowed in while his IEC visa is still being processed? Would it count against him with Canadian immigration if he went with me only on a tourist visa?

Any help or advice is appreciated as we're starting to get very anxious and stressed out about the whole thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Karbolt wrote: »
    My question is this: If he were to enter Canada as a tourist would he have problems being allowed in while his IEC visa is still being processed? Would it count against him with Canadian immigration if he went with me only on a tourist visa?

Any help or advice is appreciated as we're starting to get very anxious and stressed out about the whole thing!!

It shouldn't make any difference as long as he obeys by the tourist rules. (no work, and stay less than 3 months(?)). When his IEC comes through he will then have to flagpole by leaving the country and coming back in, which depending where you are is easy or not.

Being a tourist though, he won't be able to get a bank account, rent an apartment, get a mobile etc.

Also if you are arriving on the same flight, I'd suggest you don't go through immigration together. Let him go through the standard queue claiming to be on holiday, while you go through the immigration queue. The only issue might be if they search his bags and discover his worldly posessions. That could cause some concern that he's moving to canada without a valid visa. Its unlikely though I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Sweet.

Thanks for the link.

You must be off enjoying your fat one billy lol

You do know in certain countries its still not ok to do that hehe
    I think it was on the TV (Border Patrol) or something.

But hey what the hell

As i said before

Enjoy :p

• Advertisement

fergusb wrote: »
    It shouldn't make any difference as long as he obeys by the tourist rules. (no work, and stay less than 3 months(?)). When his IEC comes through he will then have to flagpole by leaving the country and coming back in, which depending where you are is easy or not.

Being a tourist though, he won't be able to get a bank account, rent an apartment, get a mobile etc.

Also if you are arriving on the same flight, I'd suggest you don't go through immigration together. Let him go through the standard queue claiming to be on holiday, while you go through the immigration queue. The only issue might be if they search his bags and discover his worldly posessions. That could cause some concern that he's moving to canada without a valid visa. Its unlikely though I would think.

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming it'd be pretty dumb to go on a one way flight? We booked our flights months ago (on separate credit cards) thinking (perhaps stupidly) we'd have his visa in time for leaving. Would it be advisable for him to book another flight back to Ireland to show he has intentions of leaving? Wish they'd just open it and put us out of our misery!

EDIT: We're flying into Vancouver so not too far from the border for flagpoling.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Hmmm yeah I reckon a return flight would be safer. It all depends on the immigration person, they might not care, but if they took issue with it, there is a chance he'd be refused entry.... which probably would impact his IEC visa as well. He could book a flight back to Ireland which is flexible and then if the IEC comes through push the date of the flight out.... or you could pay a lot for a fully flexible 1 way ticket. And then cancel it when the IEC comes through.

Vancouver should be easy to flagpole from... I will find out in 10 days time!

fergusb wrote: »
    Hmmm yeah I reckon a return flight would be safer. It all depends on the immigration person, they might not care, but if they took issue with it, there is a chance he'd be refused entry.... which probably would impact his IEC visa as well. He could book a flight back to Ireland which is flexible and then if the IEC comes through push the date of the flight out.... or you could pay a lot for a fully flexible 1 way ticket. And then cancel it when the IEC comes through.

Vancouver should be easy to flagpole from... I will find out in 10 days time!

Never thought of booking the flexible flight, that sounds like a good option seeing as we'll get the money refunded back... Will have to look into it. Thanks a lot!

Vetting in Tipperary and certificate of character are two totally different forms.
    For Canada, you only need the certificate of character, which is a short, very basic form you can get at your local station.

Vetting, and sending anything to Tipp is the incorrect form and will not suffice for the application afaik.

EDIT: The vetting form is actually much more in depth, and probably more than enough for the application; but it's NOT what they ask for - so, the safe bet is get the correct form.

Got it sent off thanks. Very annoying though as I told the Garda I was talking to exactly what I was looking for and he didn't bother to mention it to me that all I had to do was send a letter to that station if he had of I would probably have it by now + the week before they filled out my passport form wrong which delayed me getting one by about a week and a half :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Can anyone scan in a copy of their Garda cert they received? Or else write what's written on it?

Thanks

Can anyone scan in a copy of their Garda cert they received? Or else write what's written on it?

Thanks

I was meant to take a picture before submitting it, but forgot. :o
    You need your passport and birth cert when collecting the form so they can photocopy.
    Also, a stamped addressed envelope.

My Garda station said it should take "10 working days"....

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

Hey guys

Quick questions - I can't see anything listed on the IEC site about needing a garda cert? At what point of the process do you need this? I've been living in the States for the past 5+ years, so I don't know if I'll need a certificate from here.

Can anyone point me to more info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Detour wrote: »
    Hey guys

Quick questions - I can't see anything listed on the IEC site about needing a garda cert? At what point of the process do you need this? I've been living in the States for the past 5+ years, so I don't know if I'll need a certificate from here.

Can anyone point me to more info on this?

Yea you will need a police cert for each country you have lived in for 6 months or longer. (And an irish one) Sorry but I'm not sure how you go about it for the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I lived/worked in States for just under 6 months. Something similar to 5 Months, 25 days.

Do I get away with the 6 months living requirement, or should I go about getting US Clearance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Are you still living in the States? I'm pretty sure the police cert is required for stage 2 and if you are still there when it turns 6 months you will need one. If it were me i would go ahead and get applying for one. Once you get through stage 1 you have 6 months to complete stage 2 so it shouldn't be an issue if there is a delay in getting it issued.

Advertisement