Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Myself and my mates are aiming for end of September, as we all have a few things we've to get out of the way. Would love to be able to get over earlier, but doesn't look likely, unfortunately.

There's four of us heading to Vancouver so far. Is it mainly there and Toronto for most folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

alexsmith wrote: »
    when are you guys thinking of going over? im thinking start of may,no idea what im gonna be doing,hopefully my buddy over there can sort me out

I'm waiting till december... have a masters degree to finish.

Where you go depends on what skills/trade you are based in, a lot of the oil and trade jobs in Saskatchewan, ALberta and BC

I did working holiday in toronto in 2007 and was on holidays there last november, plenty of ''help wanted'' signs on businesses and a large construction boom there are present.

I personally hope to head to Toronto

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Hopefully going to Edmonton,Alberta,I was hoping for May....... its all just hoping until I get a visa soooooo hurry the fock up

• Registered Users Posts: 47 123DarcySt

When we log into Kompass, how long do we have to pay the $150??? Or do we have to pay it straight up???

123DarcySt wrote: »
    When we log into Kompass, how long do we have to pay the $150??? Or do we have to pay it straight up???

Its ten days from when you receive a message saying you have been allocated a space. It will also tell you the date in the message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Hopefully going to Edmonton,Alberta,I was hoping for May....... its all just hoping until I get a visa soooooo hurry the fock up

I'm for Edmonton myself. I hope to be out of here by the end of April. All depends on when this window opens!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 123DarcySt

Okey doke. Cheers. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

Going to Vancouver, aiming for mid June. Can't remember if it was this thread or the other IEC one but someone mentioned that leases start 1st of the month mainly, aiming to go mid month to try get into our own place as soon as we can. Also want to get there in time for Canada day!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

EI-DOR wrote: »
    I'm for Edmonton myself. I hope to be out of here by the end of April. All depends on when this window opens!

Good stuff,there doesn't seem to be many from here heading that way,would like to get out at least a week or two before June but all depends on the window as you say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Hoping to head into the pure wilderness and beautiful countryside of Canada working in forestry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hippo2472

Was hoping start of April, don't think it will be possible now. Ill be heading to Vancouver as soon as i get my letter. It won't be this week obviously now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

You know this big change coming to the Irish visa this year?

Take a look at the France page, WH opens tomorrow:
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/france/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx

You see:
    "14,000 places available in 2014!"

That's a big number right? How many WH visas are there?
    It ain't 14k. I think they'll split this big round 10,000 number into pieces. WH may be roughly the same allocation as last year.

Also two pieces of the procedure:

- If you haven’t already done so, please create a Kompass account and fill in as much of your information as possible before the day that the WHP category opens.

You know this big change coming to the Irish visa this year?

Take a look at the France page, WH opens tomorrow:
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/france/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx

You see:
    "14,000 places available in 2014!"

That's a big number right? How many WH visas are there?
    It ain't 14k. I think they'll split this big round 10,000 number into pieces. WH may be roughly the same allocation as last year.

- If you haven’t already done so, please create a Kompass account and fill in as much of your information as possible before the day that the WHP category opens.

France's situation is different to us as they have an international agreement for co-ops,young professionals and Working hols.

They very well may break the Irish registration into sections since they have done it for many other countries including the UK

In relation to the Kompass Accounts, registration is not open for irish participants yet. While you could probably register through the french page it more than likely will cause issues / not allow you to . I would wait till you are allowed to registrer officially. It takes a minute to register so its not the end of the world.

EDIT: Sorry I assume you mean shortly before the irish reg opens we can create kompass accounts. While there is a chance that may be possible I know from people in uk kompass that this was not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hmmm..

I guess it's good news we will have our Kompass account ready and waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

GrumPy wrote: »
    Hmmm..

I guess it's good news we will have our Kompass account ready and waiting...

But. That's all speculation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Why, exactly?

Faith wrote: »
    Why, exactly?

You can't do it yet

Why would you do....... it would decrease the overall time taken to apply for a Working holiday visa, therefore giving you a better place in the queue

Skalragg wrote: »
    You can't do it yet

Why would you do....... it would decrease the overall time taken to apply for a Working holiday visa, therefore giving you a better place in the queue

It was my understanding that you couldn't open a Kompass account until the IEC opened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

It was my understanding that you couldn't open a Kompass account until the IEC opened though.

Yep, that's right.

'You can only create a Kompass account when IEC is open for your country.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3 moneybagskeogh

Hi guys, Iv been reading through this thread- alot of useful info here thanks! Wondering if anyone can help me, I lived in Australia for 2 years, got my police cert last week no issues, however, before Australia i lived in South Korea for a year and a half. Don't know if anyone here has ever lived in S Korea but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get police clearance from them, so much red tape and the fact that Im a "foreigner" they aren't interested in helping! My old boss in Korea even said the only way to get police clearance would be to go back to Korea and go into a police station in person, which is ridiculous!
    So Im thinking for Stage 2 (if i get that far!)ill just put in a letter of explanation about it. Do you think that would be sufficient? Any ideas or anyone in a similar position??!
    Any help appreciated :-)

• Advertisement

Hi guys, Iv been reading through this thread- alot of useful info here thanks! Wondering if anyone can help me, I lived in Australia for 2 years, got my police cert last week no issues, however, before Australia i lived in South Korea for a year and a half. Don't know if anyone here has ever lived in S Korea but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get police clearance from them, so much red tape and the fact that Im a "foreigner" they aren't interested in helping! My old boss in Korea even said the only way to get police clearance would be to go back to Korea and go into a police station in person, which is ridiculous!
    So Im thinking for Stage 2 (if i get that far!)ill just put in a letter of explanation about it. Do you think that would be sufficient? Any ideas or anyone in a similar position??!

pretty sure its a necessity once over 6 months so i dunno if a letter of explanation would cut it . but hope ya figure it out .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 moneybagskeogh

pretty sure its a necessity once over 6 months so i dunno if a letter of explanation would cut it . but hope ya figure it out .

Yeah Im really worried Ill get turned down because of it even though its out of my hands :-( Maybe ill try hound the Korean police again but so far that has been like banging my head off a brick wall!
    Thanks anyway!

eenm wrote: »
    Yep, that's right.

'You can only create a Kompass account when IEC is open for your country.'

Right, exactly, so this

makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

Right, exactly, so this

makes no sense to me.

The French one is different in this regard.have been checking the application process for other countries and none of them allowed you to create a kompass account until the visas were actually released.can only really speculate as to whether the irish one will follow the french one or be like all the others

Marko10 wrote: »
    The French one is different in this regard.have been checking the application process for other countries and none of them allowed you to create a kompass account until the visas were actually released.can only really speculate as to whether the irish one will follow the french one or be like all the others

see thats it too people are reading to much into it too and thats where all the speculation comes from. people just need to chilli out and believe what they read on the page once its actually announced .

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

You can't do it yet

But I'm sure everyone who is really serious about getting the visa will set up a kompass account before it opens (if this is even going to be possible with the irish one!)
    We'll still all be in the same situation as regards your chances of getting a visa.

Please refer to my previous post, they may allow for registration like the french slightly before the registration opens. BUT I know this was not the case with UK applications
    France's situation is different to us as they have an international agreement for co-ops,young professionals and Working hols.

They very well may break the Irish registration into sections since they have done it for many other countries including the UK

In relation to the Kompass Accounts, registration is not open for irish participants yet. While you could probably register through the french page it more than likely will cause issues / not allow you to . I would wait till you are allowed to registrer officially. It takes a minute to register so its not the end of the world.

EDIT: Sorry I assume you mean shortly before the irish reg opens we can create kompass accounts. While there is a chance that may be possible I know from people in uk kompass that this was not the case

My mistake, I misunderstood NewsMeQuick's post. I thought s/he was advising us Irish folk to open kompass accounts now, but I see now that s/he was just quoting from the IEC France page about specific instructions for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

OMG how did that happen, no to all of that.

I meant:

1. I think they could split this 10,000 figure into additional categories e.g. 6,500 WH, 3,500 between young prof/internships. I'm aware that hasn't been created. ICAN said this year there is a "new category".

2. I did not say you can register. I quoted the French site. The French site says you were to set up BEFORE opening day.

That's my last comment on this, people are too jumpy, making too many conclusions...:D

And obviously it's speculation...that's what these threads are, no need for the redundant speculation dismissal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Hi - in same situation myself - it is doable but you'll probably have to visit the Korean embassy in Dublin. They updated the process and you courier your application over with a prepaid return, I'm applying for Korea clearance soon and will let you know how I get on. Sorry on phone atm so can't type out a proper response but check the Korean embassy in Ireland website for details

Advertisement