Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Theasal1234

The Executive Director of the Irish Canadian Immigration Centre got it from the horse's mouth that the IEC Program for Ireland would be opening up in early December. Every week since then, we have been advised from multiple sources that the opening of the IEC program was imminent. We have even been advised that late January was the absolute latest that this program would be opening! We are now into February and still no indication of when it will open! In that time, the IEC has opened up for several countries even THE UK HAS HAD 3 APPLICATION ROUNDS IN THAT TIME!!! In my opinion this represents the change in Canadian attitudes towards the Irish. I have been in Canada since 2012 and in that time I have seen a big change in the economy here and in particular the attitudes of Canadian's towards the Irish. I was lucky in that I settled into a good permanent office job in a nice city soon after landing. Later on in the year, the company took on a number of Canadians under 6 month & 1 year contracts. I was far more experienced than them. Soon enough, I was even told by one of them that I was taking a Canadian job. After numerous interactions with random Canadians over the year, I have gotten comments such as "you guys are everywhere" , "you guys are just taking over this industry" etc etc Anyway to cut a long story short they are reluctant to leave the graduate Irish into Canada because we are a huge threat to them - We have a superior education system, a friendly manner, we work harder and can speak English - There is a larger influx of Chinese immigrants into Canada then there is Irish yet there seems to be a far larger reaction to Irish immigrants in the media. They only want the Irish with trades and they want them in the -40c places that Canadians are unwilling to go to!!! The fact that we have been strung along for the past 2 months on these IEC visas is no surprise to me at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Jasus relax....your thinking too much.Theres an average 250K immigrants into canada every year,its a huge place,we'd hardly make a dent in it.Its just in the news everywhere that Ireland is getting 10,000 visas and its highlighting the Irish presence there.

http://www.cicnews.com/2013/03/2012-canadas-recordbreaking-year-immigration-032346.html

http://www.cicnews.com/2014/01/canadian-immigration-news-briefs-january-2014-013183.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

The Executive Director of the Irish Canadian Immigration Centre got it from the horse's mouth that the IEC Program for Ireland would be opening up in early December.

Maybe that horse was talking porkies. They will be out eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 3 moneybagskeogh

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Hi - in same situation myself - it is doable but you'll probably have to visit the Korean embassy in Dublin. They updated the process and you courier your application over with a prepaid return, I'm applying for Korea clearance soon and will let you know how I get on. Sorry on phone atm so can't type out a proper response but check the Korean embassy in Ireland website for details

Oh my god great, thanks so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Well hopefully they wont make these applications so hard as to put us off going there.
    I know the country is huge in forestry and I'd give anything to get a few years experience in that industry out there.
    It'll always look good on a CV in Ireland.
    It's also a country I've wanted to visit since I was very young, the wilderness really appeals to me.
    C'mon Canada, give us a spot!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Silvio67

The Executive Director of the Irish Canadian Immigration Centre got it from the horse's mouth that the IEC Program for Ireland would be opening up in early December. Every week since then, we have been advised from multiple sources that the opening of the IEC program was imminent. We have even been advised that late January was the absolute latest that this program would be opening! We are now into February and still no indication of when it will open! In that time, the IEC has opened up for several countries even THE UK HAS HAD 3 APPLICATION ROUNDS IN THAT TIME!!! In my opinion this represents the change in Canadian attitudes towards the Irish. I have been in Canada since 2012 and in that time I have seen a big change in the economy here and in particular the attitudes of Canadian's towards the Irish. I was lucky in that I settled into a good permanent office job in a nice city soon after landing. Later on in the year, the company took on a number of Canadians under 6 month & 1 year contracts. I was far more experienced than them. Soon enough, I was even told by one of them that I was taking a Canadian job. After numerous interactions with random Canadians over the year, I have gotten comments such as "you guys are everywhere" , "you guys are just taking over this industry" etc etc Anyway to cut a long story short they are reluctant to leave the graduate Irish into Canada because we are a huge threat to them - We have a superior education system, a friendly manner, we work harder and can speak English - There is a larger influx of Chinese immigrants into Canada then there is Irish yet there seems to be a far larger reaction to Irish immigrants in the media. They only want the Irish with trades and they want them in the -40c places that Canadians are unwilling to go to!!! The fact that we have been strung along for the past 2 months on these IEC visas is no surprise to me at all!!

Thats an absolutely disgraceful post. They have put back a visa application so basically the whole country are anti Irish.. take a look at yourself you moon unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

as expected no announcement today !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Silvio67 wrote: »
    Thats an absolutely disgraceful post. They have put back a visa application so basically the whole country are anti Irish.. take a look at yourself you moon unit.

Agreed, cheers for scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Silvio67 wrote: »

Moon unit!! Absolutely brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Theasal1234

Agreed, cheers for scaremongering.

Ok, so apologies to anyone if I came across as a scaremonger! I know this thread has been created to help IEC hopefuls and didn't intend on putting anyone off applying. As a person that has been through this process already I encourage people to apply. There is nothing to lose and lots to gain.

I suppose you could call my original post a vent. That being said, myself and many others who are hoping to apply and re-apply have a lot of reasons to be frustrated at being strung along by the CIC. I think breaking point for me was during the week when the Canadian Food Inspection Agency announced that they are banning the sale of lucozade in Canada!!!

As for you Silvio67 get off your high horse with your "disgraceful comment". Talk about melodramatic!

Best of luck to all applying, give it yere best lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

What I've heard is nothing but 10k spaces for iec work holiday. Ireland as a country has no international agreement for either young professionals or co op visas ....and we never have

The scare mongering is pointless ,

Canada are offering EXTRA visas this year to us, if we were such a scourge/burden this would be reduced. As of January 15th the places were still the plan. Like all agencies in the public and private sector ",Things don't always work to plan"

Let's wait till they give us the green light and see what's on offer officially

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Ok, let's have less speculating and more positive vibes that today we'll get the advance notice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ok, let's have less speculating and more positive vibes that today we'll get the advance notice :)

Until 15:01 when we are all allowed to start moaning again, right? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I have a feeling that today will be the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

GrumPy wrote: »
    Until 15:01 when we are all allowed to start moaning again, right? :P

But of course! :D

I do not think we will get an announcement till tomorrow at the earliest, The Netherlands and Belgium are opening this Wednesday, so we will more than likely be after them.

Australia -OPEN
    Austria - Feb 5th
    Belgium - OPEN
    Chile Feb 6th
    Costa Rica - OPEN
    Croatia - OPEN
    Czech Republic - OPEN
    Denmark - OPEN
    Estonia - OPEN
    France - OPEN
    Germany - OPEN
    Greece - OPEN
    Hong Kong - OPEN
    Ireland - WAITING
    Italy - OPEN
    Japan - OPEN
    Korea, Rep. - WAITING
    Latvia - OPEN
    Lithuania - OPEN
    Mexico - WAITING
    Netherlands - Feb 5th
    New Zealand - OPEN
    Norway - OPEN
    Poland - WAITING
    Slovakia - WAITING
    Slovenia - OPEN
    Spain Feb 5th
    Sweden Feb 6th
    Switzerland - OPEN
    Taiwan - WAITING
    Ukraine - WAITING
    United Kingdom- OPEN

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Good stuff Skal. I was going to list all the Countries but you beat me to it. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Skalragg wrote: »
    I do not think we will get an announcement till tomorrow at the earliest, The Netherlands and Belgium are opening this Wednesday, so we will more than likely be after them.

same im pretty sure it be probably right up until the end that it be opening theres still allot countrys left waiting too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hippo2472

Thanks Skalragg :) fingers crossed today today is our day, yeah baby, Positivity!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 123DarcySt

Okay just to check, I have my C.V, passport is scanned, I got my Police Cert last week (only took a couple of days to get). Apart from all the forms to fill out what other documents do I need to get???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

• Registered Users Posts: 47 123DarcySt

Cheers, very helpful. >_< wanted to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Another day slips by without the announcement!

No kompass and no stage 1, make GrumPy go something something....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 TMcG1990

*Let the moaning commence!*

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lisa1992

Sorry to interrupt all the complaining but i'm just wondering does anyone know anything about the ''Visa First'' website, as far as I know you send them your info and they apply for you when the quota is released? Does anyone know if this is legit? I don't know if I have the patience to wait and watch the site anymore so i'm thinking of applying through them but I want to be sure they are a proper company as I applied through a scam site 2 years ago. If anybody has heard anything about them can ye please let me know asap. Cheers folks.

Lisa1992 wrote: »
    Sorry to interrupt all the complaining but i'm just wondering does anyone know anything about the ''Visa First'' website, as far as I know you send them your info and they apply for you when the quota is released? Does anyone know if this is legit? I don't know if I have the patience to wait and watch the site anymore so i'm thinking of applying through them but I want to be sure they are a proper company as I applied through a scam site 2 years ago. If anybody has heard anything about them can ye please let me know asap. Cheers folks.

I was sitting next to a friend who applied for the UK IEC few weeks ago, there are a number of fields you must tick which implicitly state the form is filled in by you and not any one you know or a third party.
    So if a company is claiming they can do it I would not believe them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lisa1992

True that, thanks. Ill just wait and wait and wait along with everyone else. This is a pain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Is this visa likely to be available again in 2015? I don`t think Ill be applying for this one, but maybe I will if available in 2015:)

sawfish wrote: »
    Is this visa likely to be available again in 2015? I don`t think Ill be applying for this one, but maybe I will if available in 2015:)

Yes. I don't see why not.

You have 12 months to actually use the visa from the date you receive it.

EG. If you apply and get the visa in April 2014, you have until April 2015 to actually use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 inishowenguy1

hi all. so just received my police cert today and my middle name is spelled wrong !! , should I apply for another or will it be ok because my passport doesn't show my middle name just first and last ? my middle name is Gerard but on the garda cert is says Gerald, will ther be a problem ?

Advertisement