Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

eenm wrote: »
    But we should be taking IEC's word as true, shouldn't we? :confused:

IEC, as in the Canadian government/high commission in London, yes.

Third party agencies, no. (reputable ones will help you, but make it clear that you have to apply by yourself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Karbolt wrote: »
    I'm finding it impossible to get excited about going because I'm too busy stressing about his visa (or lack thereof).

I thought that was just me. Yep, excited is not the word.

I'm trying to take a step back, be in contact with the site, twitter, facebook, check a few times, watch out for 3pm/4pm notices particularly, but otherwise, be anywhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

I'm hoping March now, I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow.

I thought it was going to open December, January at the latest!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 amr_lady

Hello all,

I have a question if anyone can assist? Has anybody ever completed the IEC online when they HAD applied for a visa in the past?I found a great blog about the 7.5 minutes of frenzy explaining the Stage 1 process on moving2canada.com, but this was for a chap who never applied before. He mentioned that he was unsure what would happen if he ticked 'Yes' to that question.

I'm in a bit of a spot where I applied years ago through USIT for a Canada Working Holiday visa, was approved, but never used it. They advised at the time I was eligible to apply again, and I know the new 2-year one it doesn't matter if you applied before. However, my problem is I have no documentation from the original application, to the point I can't even remember what year it was!

So I'm looking to see if anyone knows what is required on the form if you say you HAVE applied before? i.e. do you need WTN numbers or dates etc., or is it free text fields where you can put an explanation.

Appreciate if anybody has any info, as I'm having last minute nerves about saying yes or no to that as I don't want to stuff it up.

Thanks in advance!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

amr_lady wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have a question if anyone can assist? Has anybody ever completed the IEC online when they HAD applied for a visa in the past?I found a great blog about the 7.5 minutes of frenzy explaining the Stage 1 process on moving2canada.com, but this was for a chap who never applied before. He mentioned that he was unsure what would happen if he ticked 'Yes' to that question.

I'm in a bit of a spot where I applied years ago through USIT for a Canada Working Holiday visa, was approved, but never used it. They advised at the time I was eligible to apply again, and I know the new 2-year one it doesn't matter if you applied before. However, my problem is I have no documentation from the original application, to the point I can't even remember what year it was!

So I'm looking to see if anyone knows what is required on the form if you say you HAVE applied before? i.e. do you need WTN numbers or dates etc., or is it free text fields where you can put an explanation.

Appreciate if anybody has any info, as I'm having last minute nerves about saying yes or no to that as I don't want to stuff it up.

Thanks in advance!!

From the big FAQ thread:
    19. If I am assigned an IEC spot and issued a Letter of Introduction but do not use it, will I get back the participation fee? May I apply again in other years?

Fees are non-refundable once the Letter of Introduction is issued. As well, each individual may participate in the IEC initiative only once. You are deemed a participant once you are issued a Letter of Introduction.

If you've just completed stage 1, then you can apply again. If you went the whole hog and completed stage 2 and were issued a Letter of Introduction, I don't think you can participate again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

hippo2472 wrote: »
    It's a bank holiday in Canada today, wouldn't be surprised if no country opens/moves today.

its not a bank holiday here in Ontario until next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 butterflydream

So has anyone ever submitted an application while on a visitors visa in Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pad92

So has anyone ever submitted an application while on a visitors visa in Canada?

You can submit the IEC application when your in Canada but if you are successful in receiving the Letter of Introduction via email when your in Canada, you will need to re-enter Canada.

Faith wrote: »
    From the big FAQ thread:

If you've just completed stage 1, then you can apply again. If you went the whole hog and completed stage 2 and were issued a Letter of Introduction, I don't think you can participate again.

Actually, it states on the IEC page that if you participated previously only once, you are eligible to apply again. I should be fine on that end, it was more just looking for info on what the form was like re your previous application.

Thanks though!!

IEC :
    Previously, Irish citizens were permitted to participate twice, each time up to 12 months. Starting 2013, Irish citizens who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) for a period of up to 12 months will be eligible for another participation of up to 24 months.  Those who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) more than once (i.e., beyond 12 months) will not be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toronto

My only comfort is that no other countries got an announcement today either. I know it's immature, but I feel like Ireland's racing the other countries and we need to beat them by getting our work permits first. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Toronto wrote: »
    My only comfort is that no other countries got an announcement today either. I know it's immature, but I feel like Ireland's racing the other countries and we need to beat them by getting our work permits first. :p

I don't see how that's a comfort as it means the waiting list hasn't budged. At least if 2-3 of the other countries still waiting had been announced today it would have been a good sign that things are moving forward and Ireland will be announced soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

just me or is the IEC page down atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

Donatron wrote: »
    just me or is the IEC page down atm?

It works but is astonishingly slow!

bopper wrote: »
    I don't see how that's a comfort as it means the waiting list hasn't budged. At least if 2-3 of the other countries still waiting had been announced today it would have been a good sign that things are moving forward and Ireland will be announced soon.

I'm still holding out hope that Ireland might be next on IEC's list! I've got to be right eventually. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 S.Brolly

Mega lols :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

Seem to remember reading on a number of occasions that Ireland will be left to last.Probably just more speculation though!

We've never officially received a future release date, it's all been rumours. "I heard someone say they called someone in the Canadian embassy and THEY said.."

• Registered Users Posts: 14 S.Brolly

Marko10 wrote: »
    Seem to remember reading on a number of occasions that Ireland will be left to last.Probably just more speculation though!

Yeah I've seen that, makes sense saying as there's 10000 visas to issued here.. Most countries only gettin hundreds of visas, get them out of the way..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hippo2472

Actually, it states on the IEC page that if you participated previously only once, you are eligible to apply again. I should be fine on that end, it was more just looking for info on what the form was like re your previous application.

Thanks though!!

IEC :
    Previously, Irish citizens were permitted to participate twice, each time up to 12 months. Starting 2013, Irish citizens who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) for a period of up to 12 months will be eligible for another participation of up to 24 months.  Those who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) more than once (i.e., beyond 12 months) will not be eligible.

Hi amr_lady,

Fear not, i am in the exact situation as you. When we did it through USIT, the ICE as it is now simply didn't exist. So this is indeed our first time going through ICE. I read that same article you refer to, and i also was worried as i did not retain a copy of my visa from 2010. I do however still have a copy of my Letter of Entry (it has a an authorization number and a client ID number). I emailed ICE and asked:

"Hi, I will be applying for the Irish 2014 ICE programme. I previously obtained a one year work visa for Canada in 2010 through a third party agency (USIT) and I want to ask what information will I be required to provide from my previous application in 2010? As my application in 2010 was through a third party I now only have a copy of the Point of Entry letter, which contains an Authorization Number, and a Client Number. I cannot find my 2010 WTN, nor am I aware did I even receive a WTP in 2010 as I understand the programme has since changed in many way since 2010. I would be most grateful for any advice or guidance that you can give. Kindest regards..."

The exact response i received later that evening was:

"Please note that providing an approximate date of when you applied for your 2010 participation will suffice.

International Experience Canada"

So, there you go. We should be okay.

Hi amr_lady,

The exact response i received later that evening was:

"Please note that providing an approximate date of when you applied for your 2010 participation will suffice.

International Experience Canada"

So, there you go. We should be okay.

Thank you SOO much hippo2474!! I was starting to have a last minute panic. I had heard they didn't keep track of the entrants pre-IEC via USIT, but just knowing I don't have to give exact dates eases my mind. I've no problem declaring it, was just afriad I would need the specifics.

Thanks again and the best of luck with your application!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I know it's immature, but I feel like Ireland's racing the other countries and we need to beat them by getting our work permits first.
    Racing them surely and using harsh language while we're at it. :P

So i think i have what must be a new question.

I have a friend, who is Irish, but they also have New Zealand citizenship. Now they are thinking of following me over a few months later, however they may not even decide whether they will do this for a few more months (by which time the irish ones will likely be sold out).

New Zealand though was allocated 2,500 visas. Their programme opened on 10 January and only 480 visas have so far been snapped up, which means they could likely avail of a visa through the New Zealand programme at any time of their leisure. The New Zealand visa is only valid for one year though, and it says under the FAQ that "You may participate in the IEC initiative only once. "

I wonder could they do this for one year, and then avail of a two year visa again under the Irish programme in 2015? Any thoughts?

Thank you SOO much hippo2474!! I was starting to have a last minute panic. I had heard they didn't keep track of the entrants pre-IEC via USIT, but just knowing I don't have to give exact dates eases my mind. I've no problem declaring it, was just afriad I would need the specifics.

Thanks again and the best of luck with your application!!

If you did it previously why not just search your inbox for your flight details. Then you will findthe exact dates you entered and left Canada.

I'm still a little worried about our situation though, like even human error could f**k up our application. Won't be sure until i have it in my hand.

If you did it previously why not just search your inbox for your flight details. Then you will findthe exact dates you entered and left Canada.

I'm still a little worried about our situation though, like even human error could f**k up our application. Won't be sure until i have it in my hand.

You would think I would be that organised! Unfortuantely, I have no record of the application, no longer have the same email account, and like I said don't even remember the year!! I actually never activated the visa and at the time confirmed with them that I could apply again so long as I hadn't activated it.

It's all changed now though. I am still eligible, but like you say, it's a worry that they may refuse on some silly grounds that a field is not complete. My friend is there a few years now, she used her USIT visa and the applied for 2 subsequent IEC, as she reckons they don't have proper records of the applications through USIT. But I wouldn't be banking on that.

As long as I can say "yes, I applied before but didn't use it in around 2006", then I'll be happy! WHat are the chance of that though?!!

Wish they would just open it and get on with things....

not today who would a have guessed !

Hopefully someone gets announced today so we're a little closer. I was more disappointed yesterday to see no one announced than to see we weren't announced! Think the speculation of us being last at this stage makes total sense.

eenm wrote: »
    Hopefully someone gets announced today so we're a little closer. I was more disappointed yesterday to see no one announced than to see we weren't announced! Think the speculation of us being last at this stage makes total sense.

there was no annoucement on twitter so no . none today at all .

• Advertisement

there was no annoucement on twitter so no . none today at all .

Soul destroying :(

Advertisement