Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I wouldn't trust any 3rd party to apply on my behalf. There is a box you need to tick stating that you are applying yourself and not a 3rd party. Are you happy for them to commit fraud on your behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Smellysack wrote: »
    Hopefully it gets announced soon, because i have just been told that i am being made redundant in the next 2 months :(

Sorry to hear it. Hope you get a little something for that and it'll help you get on your feet over in Canada.

Best of luck.

This not knowing thing is torture. I'm bad when someone tells me they'll be at a certain place "soon", and I have no idea of when. This is far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Smellysack

Thanks guys its much appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 TMcG1990

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Not feeling it one bit. Canada could be off the cards for me now due to a knee injury!

Oh no way! Did you overdo it while trying to get your IEC stress out at the gym!?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

nah i know and sadly its not a cheap place to live either!

True but we live in Ireland, so anything is better! Plus rent for one thing is not as expensive which is a good chunk of what we'll be spending on and as far as I remember drink is alright too... So that's everything! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

eenm wrote: »
    True but we live in Ireland, so anything is better! Plus rent for one thing is not as expensive which is a good chunk of what we'll be spending on and as far as I remember drink is alright too... So that's everything! :)

Rent in Canada not expensive!!?

bopper wrote: »

Suppose it depends where you're going/what you want. I've a friend living in right in downtown vancouver in an apt (bright, modern looking) with incredible views, and it's about equivalent of €850 between two. Definitely better than the equivalent you'd get here at that price, in dublin at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

I live right by Dundas square and I'm paying 600 a month. Shop around.

Loblox wrote: »
    I live right by Dundas square and I'm paying 600 a month. Shop around.

By yourself? All inclusive?

By yourself? All inclusive?

Everything is included bar internet.

• Advertisement

Loblox wrote: »
    Everything is included bar internet.

That is an amazing price for a place to yourself. I've been here 8 months now and have never seen anything that low in the GTA. I'm sure shopping around does help like in every city, but due to time constraints it's not always that easy. I just don't think any single person should go over to Canada expecting rent to be cheap when in general it's as expensive as everything else over here.

Anyway going OT now.

That is an amazing price for a place to yourself. I've been here 8 months now and have never seen anything that low in the GTA. I'm sure shopping around does help like in every city, but due to time constraints it's not always that easy. I just don't think any single person should go over to Canada expecting rent to be cheap when in general it's as expensive as everything else over here.

Anyway going OT now.

Yeah, I got really lucky since I had a place to stay while I got myself sorted out. It started as a sublet, but then the other guy decided not to renew his contract so I got it free and clear. Fully furnished, bar a bed and tv. I have the internet, so no need for a tv.

Quite worried about whether or not I get to stay, with all these delays. I signed a contract until October, landlady has no problem with getting in a subletter, but I don't know if I should just get in a subletter now, and go stay at friend's place or whatever just to cover myself if my current visa expires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What's going on with the IEC this year? It's already February and still not open?Did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Augmerson wrote: »
    What's going on with the IEC this year? It's already February and still not open?Did I miss something?

nope didnt miss anything ! its just not open yet is all !

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Oh no way! Did you overdo it while trying to get your IEC stress out at the gym!?
    Ha, you could say that. I damaged my knee ligaments about a year ago. Sounds like it's my cruciate ligament so more than likely it will need surgery. Will find out on Sat morning. The way my knee has turned I don't think it would be smart going over to Canada just yet to do heavy work!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

At this stage I'm worried my Gardai cert will become invalid. How long is it supposed to be valid for, 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Augmerson wrote: »
    At this stage I'm worried my Gardai cert will become invalid. How long is it supposed to be valid for, 3 months?

yes 3 months but the garda cert is needed for stage 2, once you pass stage 1 you are given 6 months to apply for stage 2 which was the case last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 TMcG1990

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Ha, you could say that. I damaged my knee ligaments about a year ago. Sounds like it's my cruciate ligament so more than likely it will need surgery. Will find out on Sat morning. The way my knee has turned I don't think it would be smart going over to Canada just yet to do heavy work!

Ah no way! :( well fingers crossed it'll be ok and you'll be able to head over! This damn wait is killing us all! Almost literally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sdogg

Been search and calling around trying to find an answer to this... it's doing my head in.

If my IEC application hasn't completed, could enter the USA under the visa waiver program (up to 90 days) from Australia with a ticket on to Canada then back to Australia, making sure the Canada flight date is enough out to give me enough time to get the LOI whilst I'm in USA and then when I enter Canada get the WHV when I enter through customs and cancel my return trip back to Australia?

Would this pose any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Fingers crossed for Monday then.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed for Monday then.

Sake. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bear83

Hi

This is my first post on here.

Myself and a few of my friends are thinking of applying for visas.
    One of them has just gone into our local garda station looking to get a Police Cert and he was told that in order to get a Cert, he needed some kind of email or proof from the Canadian Embassy that he was going to apply for a visa.
    I was not aware of this. Can anybody tell me how to get this or what exactly they require?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Bear83 wrote: »
    Hi

This is my first post on here.

Myself and a few of my friends are thinking of applying for visas.
    One of them has just gone into our local garda station looking to get a Police Cert and he was told that in order to get a Cert, he needed some kind of email or proof from the Canadian Embassy that he was going to apply for a visa.
    I was not aware of this. Can anybody tell me how to get this or what exactly they require?

Thanks

The officer he spoke to is clueless. Canadian VISAS do not need any input or output from the Canadian embassy at all. The police cert looks like the attached image and can be gotten, free of charge, from your local station with proof of identity.

It's a "certificate of character" you're after, NOT a vetting form which is far more substantial and more complex to receive.

Thanks for the swift reply.

Thats what I thought. He had the self addressed envelope, copy of passport, etc. I dont know where the guard he was talking to got that idea.

I will give the station a call and see can I talk to anyone else

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

TMcG1990 wrote: »
    Ah no way! :( well fingers crossed it'll be ok and you'll be able to head over! This damn wait is killing us all! Almost literally!

It must be tough on your relationship. Think positive though you will get there... Eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 amr_lady

Bear83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the swift reply.

Thats what I thought. He had the self addressed envelope, copy of passport, etc. I dont know where the guard he was talking to got that idea.

I will give the station a call and see can I talk to anyone else

Thanks

There is a letter you require to print out stating what you want the cert for. It has the Candian visa details on it. It's on this thread somewhere, but i'll try dig it out and copy the link. It's a letter you print out, fill in and bring with your application.

Ok thanks

I've just rang the station and they are insisting I show some proof that I need it to apply for the visa

• Registered Users Posts: 24 amr_lady

amr_lady wrote: »
    There is a letter you require to print out stating what you want the cert for. It has the Candian visa details on it. It's on this thread somewhere, but i'll try dig it out and copy the link. It's a letter you print out, fill in and bring with your application.

Here we go, I knew there was a helpful post somehwere!! I filled out these 2 forms and brought in person with copy of passport and long birth certa nd SAE (they actually offered to do the copying for me) and got it in the post in about 1.5 weeks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87860983&postcount=304

Check out above post in the other thread it has the 2 attachments.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Ah no way! frown.png well fingers crossed it'll be ok and you'll be able to head over! This damn wait is killing us all! Almost literally!

Yea just have to wait and see what happens. Always something!!

• Advertisement

Thanks yet again for your help
    Its much appreciated.

We would really be lost without this thread

Advertisement