Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

TheShizz wrote: »
    Anybody know how big the quota is? I've heard 10,000, but I have also heard 14,000.

10,700 i believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭TheShizz

Great.

Any guess as to how long it'll take the quota to be filled? The 6,500 went in a matter of days last year I think, but you'd imagine that the demand has also increased this year so probably looking at the same time-frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Four or five of us heading over to Vancouver. We're perhaps a little mad to do so, being only a year out of college and all of us in good jobs having completed a very good degree in IT & Business.

I know we're fortunate to be in such a situation and perhaps many might slap us across the head for what they may perceive as taking something for granted, or whatever. But, you're not young forever, and right now none of us have any ties or responsibility of note that would prevent us from travelling, so we just can't say no to the opportunity.

I'm under no illusions as to how difficult it may prove to get a job in Vancouver, and nothing will be handed to us, but I can't wait to go over now and face the new challenge.

Also, as an aside, I think we'd probably would be heading to Toronto if it wasn't for the ridiculously cold winters they get there in comparison to Vancouver.

Great.

Any guess as to how long it'll take the quota to be filled? The 6,500 went in a matter of days last year I think, but you'd imagine that the demand has also increased this year so probably looking at the same time-frame?

depends its not gonna be like the uk anyways probably a day id say . but then again thats just a guess !

Knex. wrote: »
    Four or five of us heading over to Vancouver. We're perhaps a little mad to do so, being only a year out of college and all of us in good jobs having completed a very good degree in IT & Business.

I know we're fortunate to be in such a situation and perhaps many might slap us across the head for what they may perceive as taking something for granted, or whatever. But, you're not young forever, and right now none of us have any ties or responsibility of note that would prevent us from travelling, so we just can't say no to the opportunity.

I'm under no illusions as to how difficult it may prove to get a job in Vancouver, and nothing will be handed to us, but I can't wait to go over now and face the new challenge.

no exactly im the same position . i mean it may work out for the better for you if you dont try at least then you cant regret not going . only deal that puts me off and that's from talking to people over there . the prices in Vancouver seem a little bit to much comparing to other big citys .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

Silvio67 wrote: »
    I finally got through to someone important regarding the IEC and the release date.

Celine Dion would like us to be patient, they will come soon.

Was it someone at ICAN?Anything more specific than soon?

Marko10 wrote: »

even if it was .wouldnt mean anything anyways because its not like they been well informed either !

even if it was .wouldnt mean anything anyways because its not like they been well informed either !

Haha.that's true.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Great.

I would say they will be gone in an hour or so the 3rd round of the UK visas of 5000 sold out in something like 15mins the interest is huge in Ireland this year not to mention the longer the drag out putting the visas on sale the more people will decide they want to get a visa as well. Since I decided to get a visa in late December I already know 10 other people who since then have decided to apply.

stevie1122 wrote: »
    I would say they will be gone in an hour or so the 3rd round of the UK visas of 5000 sold out in something like 15mins the interest is huge in Ireland this year not to mention the longer the drag out putting the visas on sale the more people will decide they want to get a visa as well. Since I decided to get a visa in late December I already know 10 other people who since then have decided to apply.

irish population even with intrest is still nothing like the uk and the 3rd round of the uk visas was only 2000 visas

• Advertisement

Percentage wise I would imagine the interest in Ireland is a lot bigger our economy is a lot worse and not even taking the economy into account Ireland isn't a great place to live just look at how many people are leaving the country every week. Australia was a lot peoples first choice a few years ago but now Canada seems to be the main place people want to move to. I could be wrong but would be very surprised if these visas last long I plan to be at the computer the minute they go on sale and I am still worried that I won't get one.

Percentage wise I would imagine the interest in Ireland is a lot bigger our economy is a lot worse and not even taking the economy into account Ireland isn't a great place to live just look at how many people are leaving the country every week. Australia was a lot peoples first choice a few years ago but now Canada seems to be the main place people want to move to. I could be wrong but would be very surprised if these visas last long I plan to be at the computer the minute they go on sale and I am still worried that I won't get one.

its not something really ya should worry about tho . because your not guaranteed a visa anywho even if your the first person to have applied .

I know that but I don't have a criminal record, I have a college degree have all the documents in order so theirs no reason why they would refuse me.

I know that but I don't have a criminal record, I have a college degree have all the documents in order so theirs no reason why they would refuse me.

all well and good one simple mistake is all it takes!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭TheShizz

Incidentally, I received my Garda certificate in the post today. Bit early, but still should be valid long enough to use in the application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Silvio67

Marko10 wrote: »

It was the president, Celine Dion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

irish population even with intrest is still nothing like the uk and the 3rd round of the uk visas was only 2000 visas

Considering the Irish visas went last year in 48 hours when a lot of people weren't prepared, I would fully expect them to be gone in half a day this year, even with the extra quota.

Slightly off topic but a friend of mine who has decided to apply has a criminal record from a stupid drunken mistake is their anything he needs to have prepared in advance for stage one or will all that stuff only be needed in stage 2?

I was looking at the information about it on the IEC website with him and it says he might need to fill in some forms then be assessed but it never says at what stage this has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

Slightly off topic but a friend of mine who has decided to apply has a criminal record from a stupid drunken mistake is their anything he needs to have prepared in advance for stage one or will all that stuff only be needed in stage 2?

I was looking at the information about it on the IEC website with him and it says he might need to fill in some forms then be assessed but it never says at what stage this has to be done.

According to different guys I've spoken to, if you're clean for 5 years, they ignore it (unless it's really bad). If it's less than 5 years, you're outta luck and won't get through.

Okay thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

Phoenix wrote: »
    Where ye guys heading?

Vancouver, absolutely gagging to get there! :D

Putting all my positive thoughts into getting an announcement today :)

Silvio67 wrote: »
    It was the president, Celine Dion.

:) My bad! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

I didnt believe that having a degree or not would weigh very much on the decision to grant a visa? But looking over the last couple of pages people seem to be indicating that its part of the deciding factor?

MarkJD wrote: »
    I didnt believe that having a degree or not would weigh very much on the decision to grant a visa? But looking over the last couple of pages people seem to be indicating that its part of the deciding factor?

Think you should be ok:

To be eligible for the Working Holiday category you must:

be between the ages of 18 and 35 inclusive at the time your application is received;
    be a citizen of Ireland;
    be holding an Irish passport that remains valid throughout the period of stay in Canada. When the work permit is issued in Canada, it will not be longer than the validity of the passport.
    be in possession of a departure ticket leaving Canada at the end of your authorized period of stay or sufficient financial resources to purchase such a ticket;
    have the equivalent of C$2,500 to help cover expenses at the beginning of your stay, for the first 3 months of the stay;
    accept to purchase, prior to entering Canada, insurance for medical and health-care, including hospitalization and repatriation, for the duration of your stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada;
    pay a participation fee when prompted to do so.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6 boarding97

Hi everyone, Ive been dropping in to see whats been going on in this thread since before Christmas...hoping everyone was having the same problems. :-p
    This must be the latest the visas havent been released yet. went through all the countries on the non-canadian list on the site and pretty much all of them seem to be open now apart from Ireland!
    Myself and a mate are heading to Vancouver, can not wait to head off. Have a steady job here but so bored of it and of Ireland, looking forward to the new experiences ahead!

Ive one question if anyone could help, I got my Garda clearence cert back in November, will I have to get a more recent one now that its been afew months?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

MarkJD wrote: »

No, you don't need to have a degree. I've never heard of anyone being refused a visa because they didn't have third level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

boarding97 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, Ive been dropping in to see whats been going on in this thread since before Christmas...hoping everyone was having the same problems. :-p
    This must be the latest the visas havent been released yet. went through all the countries on the non-canadian list on the site and pretty much all of them seem to be open now apart from Ireland!
    Myself and a mate are heading to Vancouver, can not wait to head off. Have a steady job here but so bored of it and of Ireland, looking forward to the new experiences ahead!

Ive one question if anyone could help, I got my Garda clearence cert back in November, will I have to get a more recent one now that its been afew months?

thanks

Yeah, you'll need to get a new one. It needs to be under 3 months old.

They're valid for three months only as far as I know. You might be as well off applying for a new one at this stage to be on the safe side!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 boarding97

I thought as much! thanks guys!

• Advertisement

boarding97 wrote: »
    I thought as much! thanks guys!

yeah there no mad panic on that, i mean all as much apply straight away im not saying that , but you dont need it until the second stage so there no real rush

Advertisement