Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭parabol

haha. Just to clarify, there's nothing today,

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ckgirl

eenm wrote: »
    I get nervous when someone doesn't post at 15:01 saying 'nothing today'... As if it's been announced and I missed it!

I know...me too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Phew! Got my submission done just there, had everything ready on my desktop and was finished in 4 minutes!
    That's gotta be a new record. :D

Now to play the waiting game again for the letter of acceptance, before I can start to relax a bit....

I'm lying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mods, ban this bollocks!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

GrumPy wrote: »
    Phew! Got my submission done just there, had everything ready on my desktop and was finished in 4 minutes!
    That's gotta be a new record. :D

Now to play the waiting game again for the letter of acceptance, before I can start to relax a bit....

I'm lying :pac:

You made me die a little inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bridge McGee

Omg u nearly gave me a heart attack there grumpy:(

After seeing the state of Ukraine at the minute due to corruption, I can see their visas going very fast indeed when it opens!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

EI-DOR wrote: »
    After seeing the state of Ukraine at the minute due to corruption, I can see their visas going very fast indeed when it opens!

• Advertisement

Their waiting to open also for the IEC. I just meant IF Ukraine opens before us, they will be out of the way pretty quick I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Correct me if I'm wrong but even IF they were announced today, there would still be 48hrs before they open?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

jozi wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but even IF they were announced today, there would still be 48hrs before they open?

24 to 72.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Silvio67

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Their waiting to open also for the IEC. I just meant IF Ukraine opens before us, they will be out of the way pretty quick I'd say!

Of course they will go fast, last year they only had 25 working holiday on offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 123DarcySt

What do you think the chances are of IEC opening up without the 24 to 72 notification??

123DarcySt wrote: »
    What do you think the chances are of IEC opening up without the 24 to 72 notification??

It's possible, apparently this is the first year they have bothered putting that notification on their site. I still check every day regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 123DarcySt

Shoot, well I hope they do not open this weekend working crazy shifts and won't have access to computer. :-/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

As far as I know every other country got the notice so they would really be screwing a lot of people over if they didn't give it. So I guess it's unlikely but still possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

Shoot, well I hope they do not open this weekend working crazy shifts and won't have access to computer. :-/

I would have thought they'd only open it on a weekday?

I would have thought they'd only open it on a weekday?

France opened on a Sat, so it's possible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toronto

For as long as I've been keeping track, there's never been an IEC announcement on a weekend (I'm assuming no one's in the IEC offices then?). For one or two countries, work permits have been released at the weekend, but the announcement was during the week, so folks had time to plan for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Louise Jordan

On the bright side - The prolonged waiting period is narrowing the competition for visas! I was all set to apply but just landed myself a great new job at home. I know of one other person who has now decided to go to the Uk and 6 weeks ago she was all set for Vancouver too! So, it's weeding out all the uncertain folk :)

On the bright side - The prolonged waiting period is narrowing the competition for visas! So, it's weeding out all the uncertain folk :)

This logic applies both ways though. I know people who weren't interested in traveling, that have decided to apply when they realised it was still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Starting a job Monday for 3 weeks, hope I can get away from the pc long enough to apply!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

On the bright side - The prolonged waiting period is narrowing the competition for visas!

It will have the opposite effect very few people will decide not apply because it's been delayed by a few weeks whereas people who were unsure about applying now have longer to think about it and most people who haven't looked into it don't realise how fast the Canadian visas go they assume they are available all year round like the Australian ones.

So when they hear about this some will apply just to keep their options open with very little intention of ever going.
    Up until a few months I thought myself that you could get a Canadian with out any bother whenever you decided you wanted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toronto

Yeah, I know a few people who had been on the fence about applying because they assumed that all the work permits would be gone in December. Now that they've had a few more months to save up money, they have their hearts set on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

jozi wrote: »
    Starting a job Monday for 3 weeks, hope I can get away from the pc long enough to apply!

I know you're not supposed to but you could have someone you trust apply for you? Far as I can tell from what I've read the initial application is just name, contact details, passport information and accepting terms and conditions.
    Also I'm sure the boss would allow you to take 10minute break? With 24-72 hours notice you could reschedule your lunch break?!
    And... get away from PC? you'll need the PC! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

I am kind of fortunate that the Visas havnt opened yet. I had decided around the 27th of Jan that myself and the missus would be applying. Had an opportunity with going to the US with work fall through so kind of looking at Canada as the second option. Still have to hear back about the US green card lottery in May but barring that we will be going to Canada and this delay has allowed for that.

Obviously if we get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

I'm another one that's joined the wait late in the game - did NOT realise there was this level of competition for Visas. In fact I'd always assumed that I wouldn't have much trouble getting one since I'm eligible for a commonwealth visa (joint Irish and English citizenship). Only started researching my various options seriously last week, decided Canada looked like a better option than the USA, and then noticed half the country has been anxiously waiting the application opening for ages already! :o

Anyway, I figure anyone actively watching this thread is probably paying enough attention to make sure they get their application in. If anyone's going to be a away from a computer when they open I'd say just get someone else to apply, rather than taking a chance on waiting til you get a chance yourself.

Going for a web development job over there, half considering making a little web app that'll text me when the page changes. I know email versions of this already exist for free, but sure it might be a funny little side-project to mention at interviews :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 MurfM3

ciaran12 wrote: »
    I'm another one that's joined the wait late in the game - did NOT realise there was this level of competition for Visas. In fact I'd always assumed that I wouldn't have much trouble getting one since I'm eligible for a commonwealth visa (joint Irish and English citizenship). Only started researching my various options seriously last week, decided Canada looked like a better option than the USA, and then noticed half the country has been anxiously waiting the application opening for ages already! :o

Anyway, I figure anyone actively watching this thread is probably paying enough attention to make sure they get their application in. If anyone's going to be a away from a computer when they open I'd say just get someone else to apply, rather than taking a chance on waiting til you get a chance yourself.

Going for a web development job over there, half considering making a little web app that'll text me when the page changes. I know email versions of this already exist for free, but sure it might be a funny little side-project to mention at interviews :)

Id download it ;)

Advertisement