Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭parabol

MurfM3 wrote: »
    Id download it ;)

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

I don't know about some of you, but I said to myself that I'm going to take this on come hell or high water, and it's starting to have strong negative effects on me. I feel like I'm just in limbo at the moment, I feel like I can't make any other long term plans because I'm waiting on the IEC.

I think they've handled this atrociously, and I hope there will be some level of an apology from the immigration authorities as to why we've been treated differently than other countries. I mean, the UK got theirs mid-December. We're coming up to 2 and a half months later and nothing. I know that Canada and the UK share the Commonwealth, but Christ! This is taking the mick at this stage.

At the same time, they don't owe us anything, it would just be nice to know that the huge organisation that deals with this would be more professional about how they go about their service and to give some official reason as to why we're waiting so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

Agreed. Serious limbo. I know they don't owe us anything but it would be good to have some indication of where we stand, or roughly when we can expect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

It was said by the IEC all along that they might be out as late as March. There's people complaining about having lost jobs and their plans fall through because of the hold up, but there hasn't even been one.

It was said by the IEC all along that they might be out as late as March. There's people complaining about having lost jobs and their plans fall through because of the hold up, but there hasn't even been one.

Wow, that's news to me. I never heard that. Do you have a link or anything to any info on that? Would be good to see, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    I don't know about some of you, but I said to myself that I'm going to take this on come hell or high water, and it's starting to have strong negative effects on me. I feel like I'm just in limbo at the moment, I feel like I can't make any other long term plans because I'm waiting on the IEC.
    eenm wrote: »
    Agreed. Serious limbo. I know they don't owe us anything but it would be good to have some indication of where we stand, or roughly when we can expect them.

...i guess it's easy for me to be lighthearted about it without copping on what a serious issue it is for many people

Hope you guys get sorted
    It was said by the IEC all along that they might be out as late as March.

Crap, I didn't know that :/, though at least March isn't far away now anyway. Only a few countries left, hopefully we'll see some movement on it this week

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

Where did you see that? I've been keeping tabs on many sources of information pertaining to the IEC and I've never heard that being mentioned once.

It was meant to be the end of December, then mid January. I didn't hear those sources forecast it beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Where did you see that? I've extensively been keeping tabs on many sources of information pertaining to the IEC and I've never heard that being mentioned once.

It was meant to be the end of December, then mid January. I didn't hear those sources forecast it beyond that.

there never was any official mention of a release at all ! just lots hearsay and speculation .

not today people!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

If it doesn't release before March 11th, I'm screwed because I will be out of the country!
    Looks like I'll have to show Mammy what files need submission and hope she figures out KOMPASS when it does open.. :(

• Advertisement

not today people!

Shocker! :D

Hopefully another country gets announced today... That would make me feel almost as good as if we did!

Shocker! :D

Hopefully another country gets announced today... That would make me feel almost as good as if we did!

nothing on twitter anyways but i know who have guessed? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Where did you see that? I've been keeping tabs on many sources of information pertaining to the IEC and I've never heard that being mentioned once.

Wow, that's news to me. I never heard that. Do you have a link or anything to any info on that? Would be good to see, thanks.

Hi guys, the IEC said it themselves at the expo in the RDS before Christmas. Though I'd say its true you wouldn't have heard this anywhere else, so sorry I've no link. They also mentioned there only might be 10,000 released rather than the 6 so nothing is definite.
    GrumPy wrote: »
    If it doesn't release before March 11th, I'm screwed because I will be out of the country!
    Looks like I'll have to show Mammy what files need submission and hope she figures out KOMPASS when it does open.. :(

I'm in the same boat too, leaving Ireland on the 8th so hoping the wait won't last till then, really didn't think it would be March! I don't think we'll be screwed as we should be able to pay with card this year making it a bit easier, but 'tis a head wrecker not knowing for sure. We'll just have to make sure the mammies are on the ball if it comes to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hippo2472

What are you talking about? Are you not aware that you can still apply on Kompass once it opens even if you're in outer Mongolia, you don't need to be in Ireland.

Leave your poor Mammy alone and take some responsibility

hippo2472 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Are you not aware that you can still apply on Kompass once it opens even if you're in outer Mongolia, you don't need to be in Ireland.

might have to do with not having internet access ! wherever there going possibly id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, website isn't dependent on IP, you can access the Irish page from anywhere. Even if you couldn't, extensions such as Hola Unblocker would see you around it anyways.

As long as you can get yourself a PC and an internet connection, you'll be fine. Put the docs on a usb, keep it in your wallet, and you can't go wrong.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

I can understand where those guys are coming from I was away for the weekend two weeks ago and their wasn't an internet cafe anywhere near where I was staying it was the same when I was in London last year asked in my hotel and all around the town and nobody knew of any. A lot of the big European cities don't have them anymore because the rent is too expensive compared what they would be taking in charging people a euro or two an hour to use the internet and most homes have broadband so people that live there don't have a need for them anymore.

Even where I live now theirs only one internet cafe in the town whereas their use to be 6 or 7 of them 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

hippo2472 wrote: »

I assume this was directed at me... I am very aware how the internet works, as someone who has been using it since I was fresh outta nappies. :pac: That BSc in Computer Science I picked up 4 years ago helps, too; thank you very much. :)
    There is a high probability when I am away I will not have access to the internet, which is my concern. Hopefully it wont be any later then the first week of March! Then we can all enjoy Paddies day without the worry it will open when we are hammered. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vicquebec

Do folks on here realize that the Canadian government is currently in the process of making one of the biggest changes/amendments to its immigration laws in many decades? For me that would explain this delay. If this law passes, there will be some major changes... Not saying it will necessarily affect the IEC.. but all should keep this in mind! Our embassies around the world could be waiting to see if there will be any changes to their processes etc.. This could explain the delay...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/how-will-proposed-citizenship-law-changes-affect-you-1.2534594

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Do folks on here realize that the Canadian government is currently in the process of making one of the biggest changes/amendments to its immigration laws in many decades? For me that would explain this delay. If this law passes, there will be some major changes... Not saying it will necessarily affect the IEC.. but all should keep this in mind! Our embassies around the world could be waiting to see if there will be any changes to their processes etc.. This could explain the delay...

Yes I was reading up on that last week. Won't be surprised if we're gonna be waiting a while yet for the IEC to open!

• Advertisement

vicquebec wrote: »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/how-will-proposed-citizenship-law-changes-affect-you-1.2534594

Absolutely hadn't a breeze about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was panicking my ass of a few weeks ago when I was away too-had my mate on standby to do it for me if the worst was to happen (was gone thurs-mon and no internet cafes around).

All should read the above news article. Might help you see why.. Also there is a new immigration minister.. He seems determined to change things..

Another thing:the quota for Ireland was increased to 10,000. Based on this, the amount of embassy resources that would be required to process all this apps, have to be doubled. If you couple that with the rate at which the visas went last year, you have a recipe for delay.

All should read this. Might help you see why.. Also there is a new immigration minister.. He seems determined to change things...

True although this seems to be related only to citizenship and not working holidays, unless I'm mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 scubie steve

has anyone here had to get police clearance from Australia & New Zealand, how does one go about it?

has anyone here had to get police clearance from Australia & New Zealand, how does one go about it?

google and search the fourm theres plenty on about man !

True although this seems to be related only to citizenship and not working holidays, unless I'm mistaken?

Yea it seems that is the case. Have a read below!

http://www.canadavisa.com/news/entry/major-changes-to-canadian-citizenship-act-announced-today-06022014.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

If this is the cause of the delay why has the IEC opened for other countries?

Didn't say it was THE cause, but its something to consider. Was just wondering, since Ireland has the largest increase in allocation unless I'm mistaken.. this equals delay since more resources are required on the IEC end..

• Advertisement

They have been talking about increasing the quota to 10K since 2012, so I'll be very surprised if they haven't got everything in order for the opening of the Irish IEC. As said above Canada has a new Immigration Minister in force since July last year. The previous Minister Jason Kenney made the announcement in 2012 for new changes to the Irish IEC!

Advertisement