Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

jj1787 wrote: »
    In Canada on 1 year IEC waiting for this to open and running out of time! Jobs and apartment on the line! WTF is going on this year :confused:

whats the position if youve applied for this years one but havent been issued it by the time your current one runs out? Surely they can issue a temporary visa or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

Hmmm...between all the people already over there on last year's visas hoping to stay on, everybody at home here, and the lads down in Australia deciding that Canada might now be a better option, I'm starting to think that we may have quite a lot more than 10k people ready and waiting to grab these visas

I'll be stretching the finger muscles so I can type quickly without injury...

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

ckgirl wrote: »
    Iish nationals - really? really?

If she wants to scam...at least advertise correctly!

Can't speak for everyone but I'm proud to be Iish!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

whats the position if youve applied for this years one but havent been issued it by the time your current one runs out? Surely they can issue a temporary visa or something?

If you've applied and it hasn't been issued, you get "implied" status. If it hasn't opened and your visa runs out, you can apply for a holiday visa which is good for 6 months. This costs money and you can't be employed. Not sure what happens with a bank account in that case, and that's worrying me.

Loblox wrote: »
    If you've applied and it hasn't been issued, you get "implied" status. If it hasn't opened and your visa runs out, you can apply for a holiday visa which is good for 6 months. This costs money and you can't be employed. Not sure what happens with a bank account in that case, and that's worrying me.

thanks for that. I presume implied status means you have to stop working until you receive the new visa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Theasal1234

In all seriousness folks, what do you think the delay is?? I've asked around on the matter and have heard that it is an issue between the two governments. If this is the case, why aren't the Irish Government working harder for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

thanks for that. I presume implied status means you have to stop working until you receive the new visa?

i thought implied would mean that you will eventually get the visa and can continue working?

my visa runs out in April. it is impossible to plan my life after April. my Job, apartment and Canadian boyfriend are all on the line right now!!

kinda regret turning down sponsorship now. i just didnt want to get tied down to one company.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MurfM3

Sunshine87 wrote: »
    i thought implied would mean that you will eventually get the visa and can continue working?

my visa runs out in April. it is impossible to plan my life after April. my Job, apartment and Canadian boyfriend are all on the line right now!!

kinda regret turning down sponsorship now. i just didnt want to get tied down to one company.

How long does sponsorship last ? Is it case dependent or company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

In all seriousness folks, what do you think the delay is?? I've asked around on the matter and have heard that it is an issue between the two governments. If this is the case, why aren't the Irish Government working harder for us!

Does anyone know what the CIC say if contacted directly about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Does anyone know if the Website crashed last year when it opened, or did it run smoothly? The longer we wait the more and more people I hear are looking to get a Visa. The servers will take a serious hit this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Website crashed last year when it opened, or did it run smoothly? The longer we wait the more and more people I hear are looking to get a Visa. The servers will take a serious hit this year!

yes it did, but i was able to get registered for the kompass acc, when the visas where all gone the site was running more smoothly, it is quite possible the site may be slow when opening if there is a surge of people looking to apply at the same time which could be the case it seems this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

yes it did, but i was able to get registered for the kompass acc, when the visas where all gone the site was running more smoothly, it is quite possible the site may be slow when opening if there is a surge of people looking to apply at the same time which could be the case it seems this year.

Slow will be an understatement. My Internet is not great and I'm crapping it now it will let me down on the day. None of my family or mates have Internet faster than mine. Some worse.

What sort of Internet Speeds are you guys getting around the Country?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

No you can't get implied status on the IEC regardless if you've applied for a new one.

http://www.irishcanadianimmigrationcentre.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Implied-Status.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

Mossyman wrote: »
    No you can't get implied status on the IEC regardless if you've applied for a new one.

http://www.irishcanadianimmigrationcentre.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Implied-Status.pdf

Ah, my mistake. Apologies.

It does say you can switch to visitor while you're waiting, provided they open it before the time on that clocks out, which is some comfort.

Mossyman wrote: »

This site seems to contradict that.

http://moving2canada.com/immigration-to-canada/temporary-resident-visa-in-canada/

" Making an application to extend your IEC visa does grant you implied status until the point your application is rejected. "

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

Ah, my mistake. Apologies.

It does say you can switch to visitor while you're waiting, provided they open it before the time on that clocks out, which is some comfort.

Yes it is. They're really taking their time this year.

But if you're giving advice on this which could theoretically impact on someone being excluded from Canada because they overstayed their original visa, then make sure that the information is 100% correct.

There are far too many people "presuming" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

ciaran12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the CIC say if contacted directly about it?

I tried that... Got an auto response that essentially said we won't respond to you unless your query meets certain criteria e.g. Case specific query, requesting an appointment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sloth89

GrumPy wrote: »
    The police cert is valid for 3 months only. You'll need a police cert from America, too. I suppose they should accept an American police cert, if you haven't been there to commit a crime since.

Spoke to Cathy at ICAN who confirmed that CIC state checks must be three months in date even though it is impossible for the American one to have changed. Pure nonsense :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sloth89 wrote: »
    Spoke to Cathy at ICAN who confirmed that CIC state checks must be three months in date even though it is impossible for the American one to have changed. Pure nonsense :confused:

Well, that's completely retarded! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

**Regarding those already on the one year IEC (didn't know they were an option until today! So apologies to the previous poster in which I contradicted that)

This information was just released to those waiting to get an update or a new visa on the Canadian Immigration Facebook page:

"If you are on a 1 year IEC (issued in 2012) and it is about to expire, you will need to switch to VISITOR status while you wait for the new IECs to come out. You cannot work as a visitor. You must apply for visitor status at least 24 hours in advance of your current IEC expiring. Here is the link to switch status: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    **Regarding those already on the one year IEC (didn't know they were an option until today! So apologies to the previous poster in which I contradicted that)

This information was just released to those waiting to get an update or a new visa on the Canadian Immigration Facebook page:

"If you are on a 1 year IEC (issued in 2012) and it is about to expire, you will need to switch to VISITOR status while you wait for the new IECs to come out. You cannot work as a visitor. You must apply for visitor status at least 24 hours in advance of your current IEC expiring. Here is the link to switch status: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp "

I am only speculating here (and I know that's not very popular) but that to me would seem that they won't be released very soon, if they need to release that sort of info. I don't know would anyone else agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭parabol

eenm wrote: »
    I am only speculating here (and I know that's not very popular) but that to me would seem that they won't be released very soon, if they need to release that sort of info. I don't know would anyone else agree?

This could be true. On the other hand, the Visa's take 8 weeks to process. So even if they come out tomorrow(calm down they're not), they might be warning people who left this time last year and still have to wait two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

parabol wrote: »
    they come out tomorrow(calm down they're not)

You read it hear first folks!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jaybommber

sorry its the iec visa and its the one year
    thanks for the quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lisa1992

Right i don't where to start here but i need advice, my passport expires in August and im just after finding out that i can't apply with my current one and update my details.
    Express passports take approx 10 working days so should i take the chance and apply for it or report my current passport as lost and try get an emergency one which takes approx 3 days??

In MAJOR panic mode now, any advice??

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭parabol

GrumPy wrote: »
    You read it hear first folks!
    :pac:

You're going to break some hearts with this kind of carry on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭keryl

Lisa1992 wrote: »
    Right i don't where to start here but i need advice, my passport expires in August and im just after finding out that i can't apply with my current one and update my details.
    Express passports take approx 10 working days so should i take the chance and apply for it or report my current passport as lost and try get an emergency one which takes approx 3 days??

I'm in the same position but I was under the impression that once you apply with your current passport and then apply for a new one, you just show your old passport? The issue lies with entering Canada on a passport that expires within two years of entering..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Well the service standard says eight weeks max, but going through the 'status of application' threads last year, a significant amount of them were resolved within four weeks. They updated them saying 'applied IEC this date' got clearance from CIC this date' so there's no confusion. As said before, many UK applicants reported this year that they applied and had everything completed in the same week. (I don't even know how, but I trust Ruairi Spillane). So...somewhere between five days and eight weeks.

That makes it really tricky to plan travel eh? :confused: There's a new route opened up, I'll take that to a 'flights' thread I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

Lisa1992 wrote: »

Hi Lisa,

I was in the same boat, but your passport HAS to be valid for your entire stay in Canada, so I'd get your ass in gear and apply for a new one now. You can do passport express through your post office and that takes 10 days to process. ***Take note though, part of the application process is providing a digital copied image of your passport. I've been told that you can use your current passport as the application, but when going through customs you will need the new passport and bring a photocopied image of your old passport with you (this is worst case scenario of course).

I had to get this done back in December when I thought the IEC was going to be released. Now, it didn't take 10 days for mine to process given the time of year (it took 4 days). The closer you are to the annual holiday period the longer the process takes. (So get acting now)

**Regarding processing times, There were reports of the UK IEC visa applications having a turn around of 5 days, some people were reporting 2 weeks. It stating 8 weeks is to only to cover their ass regarding those who may have a delayed processing period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

eenm wrote: »

nah reason being is if you dont change over its classed as an overstay and it would just effect them applying again because it be a breach of the conditions of the previous iec and applying for the new one ,plus it would have an effect on if you where looking down the road to apply for PR

Advertisement