Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 duffman44

why dont ppl just look for employers with lmo's? all this time waithing why not get on the phone and start calling employers I phoned 4 company's lastnight and one off them has a lmo and it looks like i got the job

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Easier said than done Duffman. My mate is in Edmonton at the minute waiting on his LMO from the Company he's working for. Everything was processed 7 weeks ago and he's still waiting on it!

But if you get a company that has a lmo it will roughly take about 2-4 weeks to put ur name on it and there are a lot companys that have got them.Ceda International has 100 lmo's if anyone on here wants to the oil sands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

duffman44 wrote: »
    why dont ppl just look for employers with lmo's? all this time waithing why not get on the phone and start calling employers I phoned 4 company's lastnight and one off them has a lmo and it looks like i got the job

What type of companies did you contact out of curiosity?

GrumPy wrote: »
    What type of companies did you contact out of curiosity?
    Im a mechanic so I just looked on saskjobs and kijiji for companies that are looking for auto mechanics. all so if you search NOC (National Occupational Classification) most of the time when company's put that in there job add it usually means they are applying for lmo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

Got email from USIT about Canada job seminars in Dublin next week (3rd & 4th). Thought it was a bit weird? Why not wait until visa has opened? Unless we get announcement tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RinTinTin

Hi, like everyone else, i am waiting on a date for the IEC to open. I will be 36
    In mid march, and was wondering if there is any point in applying if they are not released before then, maybe they might take the delay into consideration. Are there many people in the same boat as me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toronto

LMOs sound so daunting. Mostly because I've never written a cover letter for a job in another country. I think it'll have to be my fallback plan if I'm not fast enough to get a work permit.

As for the categories, I'd say they'd be like other countries: International Co-Op (Internship), Young Professionals, and the Student Summer Job program. They all require you to have an internship or job offer before applying, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toronto

RinTinTin wrote: »
    Hi, like everyone else, i am waiting on a date for the IEC to open. I will be 36
    In mid march, and was wondering if there is any point in applying if they are not released before then, maybe they might take the delay into consideration. Are there many people in the same boat as me ?

According to the IEC FAQ, you're only safe if you turn 36 after applying but before entering Canada. If not, I think you're out of luck. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hey guys,

just reading the faq etc. So I have it as no one knows when the applications are open but you are all checking around 3pm our time,so is that definitely the time that applications will open on the day they choose?

If you dont get the visa is the 150 euro gone anyway or is it refunded?
    tks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hippo2472

Toronto wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is the (AFAIK unconfirmed) increase in work permits this year, but I can't see why that would cause the Irish government to drag their heels.

Anyone have any ideas?

The increase in work permits does in fact change everything. Any change to a pre-existing international agreement still has to go through the same technical process as a new agreement (i.e. Cleared by all relevant government departments, all of their legal divisions, the attorney general office I assume, there would be a lot of back and forth with the Canadians agreeing on the final wording of the agreement (as both countries legal people would need to review and approve all proposed changes), memo for government would need to be drafted, etc.) All these steps are required, if even one of these parts in the process drags their heal as you say, well, there's your delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭parabol

I'm not sure if anyone knows for definite, but does "extra categories" mean different types of Visa's, or does it mean there will be extra fields or requirements on the application form.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

In all seriousness folks, what do you think the delay is?? I've asked around on the matter and have heard that it is an issue between the two governments. If this is the case, why aren't the Irish Government working harder for us!

I would imagine the Irish governments care less about us getting visas than the IEC do. They don't want people leaving the country they want us all to stay here and pay off the bank bank bailouts.
    Sloth89 wrote: »
    France Round 3 released on Saturday! yeo

That doesn't really mean anything especially since it's Frances third round. I have a feeling the Irish one will be the last to open.
    guest124 wrote: »
    Got email from USIT about Canada job seminars in Dublin next week (3rd & 4th). Thought it was a bit weird? Why not wait until visa has opened? Unless we get announcement tomorrow.

These job seminars are held 3 or 4 times a year in Dublin I don't think they have anything to do with the IEC. I went to the one in Croke Park twice and the one in the RDS once they aren't really that good just a bunch of people standing at tables with no signs saying what type of company they are with.

They have a few seminars with people talking about moving away, how to layout your CV and stuff. Spoke to a few of the people after it they told me to email them and they would sort me out with stuff I never heard back from any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

OMG.....

Not announced today either!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

Maybe I'll just go to another country instead...

Maybe it'll open March 17th. That'll be a tad harsh though!

guest124 wrote: »
    Maybe it'll open March 17th. That'll be a tad harsh though!

If I were in charge I'd probably do that for the craic! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ckgirl

Today is my 100th day in a row to check that god damn website! aagghhh

ciaran12 wrote: »
    If I were in charge I'd probably do that for the craic! :P

The parades would have a drop in spectators!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i'm going to be optimistic and say after france opens it'll be monday or tuesday of next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sloth89

There is a very good chance this forum will somehow combust when there eventually is an announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Every day no word, is another day closer to my period of no internet, which is starting to get too close for comfort.
    Need it to be before March 10th, or I'm genuinely gonna be super worried of my chances!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Twirlfiona

Silvio67 wrote: »
    I was in a rush to get mine back for different reasons. I sent it off as usual, dropped an email to them saying is there anything they could do to speed up the process. They emailed me back saying the actual issuer would be in contact. She phoned me the next day and told me it was ready and she could have it next day delivery, but she was also cool with me coming to pick it up. I drove to their offices in Balbriggin, all in all it took about 5 days.. Crackin service.

I am in a similar situation :/ I've sent the passport away via passport express as I didn't have 'travel documents' to get an appointment in the passport office. I've emailed dublin passport office and been told it could take up to 15 days?!? And I've asked if I could pick it up myself but they just keep replying contact us on your issue date for an update. Who did you email? I'm really stressing out now. I would be willing to go wait all day in the passport office and obviously pay the extra fee but they just keep giving me the same 'we have a backlog' reply. Is there anything I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

Phoenix wrote: »
    Any one going to Calgary?

Yup..... Myself , wife and two year old son.... Well if the IEC opens that is... You?

Phoenix wrote: »
    Any one going to Calgary?

That's the plan! Toronto might be better for my type of work (web dev / programming) but I have a feeling I'd enjoy Calgary more. My friend was over there on Erasmus and loved it.

Sent off my first job application for something in Downtown Calgary today, will be interesting to see what sort of responses I get while still out of the country (and if I get no response, I've heard Tim Horton's are always hiring!)

You applying to jobs yet or waiting til you're on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jj1787

Newcomers to IEC please be advised there aren't any jobs left in Canada!! All of us that are already here on the 1 year IEC got the last of them - no point applying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

jj1787 wrote: »
    Newcomers to IEC please be advised there aren't any jobs left in Canada!! All of us that are already here on the 1 year IEC got the last of them - no point applying!!

Maybe just one more electrician is needed.!!!!! Actually one just like meðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement

Advertisement