Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

Phoenix wrote: »
    Yep heading to NE :)

I'm a sparks so I'm just looking for a spot close to work and nice for the little fella..... Loads of work up north for sparks but I think I'll stick to the city .....
    Well that's the plan for now anyway.... I just wish they would release the visa's so we can get over and get settled ...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

ciaran12 wrote: »
    That's the plan! Toronto might be better for my type of work (web dev / programming) but I have a feeling I'd enjoy Calgary more. My friend was over there on Erasmus and loved it.

Sent off my first job application for something in Downtown Calgary today, will be interesting to see what sort of responses I get while still out of the country (and if I get no response, I've heard Tim Horton's are always hiring!)

You applying to jobs yet or waiting til you're on the ground?
    Chances are no one will take it anywhere without being in the country and without a Canadian number either. Can't hurt to try tho

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jj1787

gccrowley1 wrote: »
    I'm a sparks so I'm just looking for a spot close to work and nice for the little fella..... Loads of work up north for sparks but I think I'll stick to the city .....
    Well that's the plan for now anyway.... I just wish they would release the visa's so we can get over and get settled ...

Didn't think you could bring family with you on the IEC? Have you looked into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

jj1787 wrote: »
    Didn't think you could bring family with you on the IEC? Have you looked into it?

You Can bring a child but my wife will have to get her own.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I never for a moment in January thought when I was planning going to the Ireland rugby match on the 8th and the Zoo on the 7th off March that I would be worrying about the Canada Visa :mad:
    Now my Australian police cert has nearly run out :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭kg703

astonaidan wrote: »
    I never for a moment in January thought when I was planning going to the Ireland rugby match on the 8th and the Zoo on the 7th off March that I would be worrying about the Canada Visa :mad:
    Now my Australian police cert has nearly run out :mad::mad:

Hmmm something I never thought of.... I travelled in oz for less then a year back in 2011 ill probably need a police cert.... Have my irish one ready, if u don't mind me asking how do I get that and how much? Would I need it if I was just backpacking?

kg703 wrote: »
    Hmmm something I never thought of.... I travelled in oz for less then a year back in 2011 ill probably need a police cert.... Have my irish one ready, if u don't mind me asking how do I get that and how much? Would I need it if I was just backpacking?
    Afraid so, anything over 6 months
    http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx#submitting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Reckon it will be today? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭parabol

GrumPy wrote: »
    Reckon it will be today? :pac:
    *gasp* is that speculation i'm reading ?!!

parabol wrote: »
    *gasp* is that speculation i'm reading ?!!

I prefer desperation. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

Please God, any day except next Friday. That's the one day I'm swamped with work that I can't get out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭parabol

Loblox wrote: »
    Please God, any day except next Friday. That's the one day I'm swamped with work that I can't get out of.

Call in sick. It's not a great solution but you will be leaving the job anyway I presume to go to Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

nopers

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

parabol wrote: »
    Call in sick. It's not a great solution but you will be leaving the job anyway I presume to go to Canada.

Already here on the one year IEC. I would call in sick, but it's pretty important stuff and I'm the only one who can cover it. Boss told me she can give me any day off, no problem, except Friday.

Loblox wrote: »
    Already here on the one year IEC. I would call in sick, but it's pretty important stuff and I'm the only one who can cover it. Boss told me she can give me any day off, no problem, except Friday.

Have a late breakfast break, or a early brunch. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

Maybe as a result of certain powerful people in canada having a fuss over irelands ''special treatment'', maybe they feel making us last on their list is somehow balancing the books?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

maybe they feel making us last on their list is somehow balancing the books?

It's looking that way and nout we can do about it. Besides, it won't be as cold by the time we get over!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Definitely not. I would rather go over when its warmish and let the body get used to Canada and prepare for the next cold spell!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vicquebec

@EI-DOR:

Here in Canada, you do not get "cold spells". its a full season about 5months long.. interspersed with periods of thaw and ice rain.. you'll be far from Ireland..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jj1787

Canadian winter is worlds apart from Ireland and our harsh frosts. Try -40 wind chills going to work and that's only Toronto, anyone thinking of going out west you better toughen up! Its -15 now in Toronto, middle of the day and its nearly March! Its been like this since November.....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Weather is lovely in Vancouver today ;)

Friend of mine lives in Calgary. She said it's -40 there at the minute with the windchill and even worse up North in Edmonton. Her bfs Utility Company hasn't done dam all with the cold since xmas. Machines not operable ect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

I'm actually looking forward to Canadian weather. For some reason or other I have always loved extreme weather conditions especially over the winter. If we get 2 inches of snow here in Ireland the whole country comes to a standstill. We are actually quite lucky in Ireland that our weather isn't extreme to most other countries of the same latitude.

Ok, back to visas....Cmon!!!

Like another said I want to go over there in the summer mostly so I dont go from cold to extreme cold.
    But saying that Im looking forward to a proper winter having never had one before and giving snowboarding a lash

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Silvio67

So thats France all done and dusted, no other major releases due apart from ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

whirlpool wrote: »
    I don't think it's going to open until March.

Knew it!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

jj1787 wrote: »
    Canadian winter is worlds apart from Ireland and our harsh frosts. Try -40 wind chills going to work and that's only Toronto, anyone thinking of going out west you better toughen up! Its -15 now in Toronto, middle of the day and its nearly March! Its been like this since November.....

yeah true, weather temps are extreme here...im sick of hearing Irish people whinge and moan about it as if this is a new phenomenon in Canadian weather...not saying u i just mean in general. and winter goes from Dec until March always in minus digits so people need to be fully aware of what to expect. and thats just Toronto. although i prefer this weather to wind and rain anyday.

anyway back on topic, i really hope the iec opens the program in the next 2 weeks, otherwise i have to reconsider my options!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

Last night I dreamt I was filling in the kompass application and it was March 10th. Perhaps a precognition!

• Advertisement

guest124 wrote: »
    Last night I dreamt I was filling in the kompass application and it was March 10th. Perhaps a precognition!

A Monday? Highly unorthodox! :pac: let's hope it's no later then then anyway!

Advertisement