Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hi guys. Like many of us here I'm getting ready for the 2014 session and trawling through the old threads to prepare myself. So we know from various sources that 2014 will open in "December if not earlier". But...2013's visas were allocated within 48 hours - including the 1000/1500 on the waiting list. We can't RSS the embassy page, get alerts...but we can't sit by an open computer for a month...was there any more specific news of the opening for the 2013 session does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mod Note:
    Newsmequick, hope you don't mind but I've robbed your thread, stickied it and it can be used for 2014 questions.
    I've been meaning to sticky a Megathread 2014.
    Cheers brah!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I've got my passport scanned and CV (or resume) ready, these are the only documents I need initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

Is that definite all the docs needed initially , passport and resume.....? Also does anybody know what way it works for a child.... I know my wife needs to apply separately and can't come on mine but what about our two year old?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

Oh and changedetection defo works , I have it watching the IEC page for the past 3 months and I got a message to say it changed one day about a month ago but it was in two words removed from left menu...... It checks the page 3 times a day so it should give ye plenty of time.

Mod Panthro - I was just about to suggest the same thing at the time! :rolleyes:

Just us 5 watching the site for changes then? ... *walks and whistles* :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm totally panicking about it opening so early now! My OH has dual citizenship, but doesn't have an Irish passport yet. I'm terrified it'll all open and close again before he sorts out the passport!

If we didn't sort out the Irish visa in time, and he applied on his German one for 1 year - when we're in Canada, could he apply again on the Irish passport for 2015 for another year?

gccrowley1 wrote: »
    Is that definite all the docs needed initially , passport and resume.....? Also does anybody know what way it works for a child.... I know my wife needs to apply separately and can't come on mine but what about our two year old?????

Actually had a look last night on the IEC site and the Moving2Canada and couldn't find anything in it or in the FAQs. I do remember back in about 2010 when I was thinking of signing up for IEC and it was all paper forms and there is a whole section in the part 2 that you fill out with that stuff. So I imagine right now all you need is passport and resume to sign up, and when the 2nd part of the process comes in, you can then include details about family, but not 100% on that. Have you tried asking them on the Moving2Canada or Moving to Vancouver pages on Facebook (if you have FB)?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

I hope it doesn't come out early either.I just saw last Friday my passport is out of date in summer 2014 so have sent it off for renewal,if it does come out id be screwwwed.

What is the actual page to keep a watch on?

Im planning on heading by myself around May 2014 if all goes to plan.

Destination Alberta .....Im 29 M ,hoping to get an entry level job in the oil industry there,hope it works out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

I don't think applications will ope without the IEC page being updated a few days/weeks beforehand first.

If past years are anything to go by there will be some kind of brief "welcome to IEC 2014, applications will open soon" etc. message just to let people know to get ready.

Does anyone else need to get a Police cert from the RCMP? Not quite sure what is the best approach. RCMP website says you could go to the Gardai, they'll take your prints, then send them off, but that this process takes quite awhile. They mention an electronic way of doing it which is way faster but I can't find what company they recommend for it. Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

i havent got a scanner handy buy has anyone taken and image of there passport and used it , same diffenrence as a scan really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

Any one know what's the best way to upload documents for stage 1?Is Microsoft word fine?is pdf adode reader the best program to use for the passport scan?

Marko10 wrote: »
    Any one know what's the best way to upload documents for stage 1?Is Microsoft word fine?is pdf adode reader the best program to use for the passport scan?

Just take a picture of it with your iphone or smart phone, send the picture to your gmail account, save it to the computer then.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

zweton wrote: »
    I have my 2013 iec visa but cannot go this year, can i apply for the 2014 one?

Unfortunately no, you can only participate Inge program once and cannot apply again. You could travel to Canada for a holiday and activate the visa and then go back when it suits you but the end date will be two years from when you activated the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Augmerson wrote: »
    Would you still need a RCMP police cert if you spent 6/7 months only in Canada? Friend of mine is thinking of applying but got injured in an accident while working there before.

Last year you needed a police cert for all countries you were in for 6 consecutive months, so yes your friend will need one if the rules are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 djc123abc

Hey everyone, I've got two questions that maybe someone could help me with.
    - I've been unemployed since finishing college in May 2010, will this affect my application negatively or not at all?
    - When someone is approved for the working holiday is there a set date that you must leave for Canada? I seen someone mention that you have to leave within a year, but does that mean if you wait 6 months to fly over that 6 months will be knocked off your time there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hobo!

djc123abc wrote: »
    - I've been unemployed since finishing college in May 2010, will this affect my application negatively or not at all?
    - When someone is approved for the working holiday is there a set date that you must leave for Canada? I seen someone mention that you have to leave within a year, but does that mean if you wait 6 months to fly over that 6 months will be knocked off your time there?

I think you have a year to activate the visa and once it's activated the two years will begin. By activating I mean entering Canada with the visa for the first time. So, you could get the visa April 2014, not go to Canada until March 2015 and stay there till March 2017. I think anyway.

djc123abc wrote: »

Another user has helped with the second question, regarding the first (we're in a similar boat) it won't affect your ability to get the visa at all. If you were applying for a skilled worker visa or similar then it would be completely different, but not with the International Experience Class.

What happens when looking for a job could be different. The threads on here are filled with people who've had difficulty securing work in the last year or years and many of them seemed to get work in Canada very quickly. Though admittedly, many of those reports are in trades, which may not what we're looking for. Perhaps employers are aware of the difficult economic circumstances here and understand that many good workers are ready to work despite the economic environment. Perhaps it's more culture differences. Taking advice on how to do a Canadian resume, using LinkedIn already shows there's a slightly different focus e.g. "list work achievements on resume, not your duties".

I graduated a year ago and just this morning I was wondering was it an inhibiting factor that I didn't secure work yet, before going to Canada. The best I can estimate from all of the advice that I've been given is that if we; 1) adjust to the Canadian resume as advised 2) network 3) and/or try a job agency 4) stay committed and be persevering then we should be fine. I've read plenty of good stories on getting jobs quickly via an agency so I will do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 nievus89

hi there, just trying to get everything sorted, bit of hassle because im travelling at the minute. Does anyone have any info on how to get an Australian police check, apparently its needed if you lived there for over 6 months. Has anyone done it already, have any idea on waiting times etc? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

Okay, I'll be heading into ICAN tomorrow to double and triple check everything. I applied under the 2012 IEC, so I'm a little up in the air about what I can and can't do. I'm full-time employed, do I need a letter from my boss or something? Do I need to include passport photos with my garda clearance? I am tweaking right now, did not expect it so soon. I have so many questions and I'm just freaking out. Tomorrow will be better. It's pure luck I saw it, I just checked the page while bored at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

Hey guys, I have a question about the australian police check. According to the website below, i should enter code number 35 in section 1 of the application form where it asks for the purpose of the check.However,i don't see anywhere to enter this. I just want to make sure i'm completeing the right form.Where it asks for purpose type I only see the options commonealth purpose/employment or working in australian capital territory. There are then a list of choices for purpose but nowhere i can see to type code number 35.

https://www.whpcanada.org.au/obtaining_documents-obtention_documents.shtml

Marko10 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have a question about the australian police check. According to the website below, i should enter code number 35 in section 1 of the application form where it asks for the purpose of the check.However,i don't see anywhere to enter this. I just want to make sure i'm completeing the right form.Where it asks for purpose type I only see the options commonealth purpose/employment or working in australian capital territory. There are then a list of choices for purpose but nowhere i can see to type code number 35.

https://www.whpcanada.org.au/obtaining_documents-obtention_documents.shtml

That's only for those who are printing the form out and sending their application in by post. The printable version comes with a page listing all of the reasons you can apply for a police check, with a code next to each one.

If you're applying online you just pick the correct option from the drop down menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Caffa

Hello all,have a few quick questions regarding the Kompass account.I made one last year but never pulled the trigger on the application,just logged into it and i have a lot of details filled in,should i make a new account or will this one do?

Also i spent a year in Canada in 2011 so i need a police cert,anyone know the waiting time for these?Best of luck to everyone with there applications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Hey,

Thought I'd everything ready for the application and went the Garda station today with the form filled out, copy of drivers licence, copy of birth cert and copy of passport. I was then told that I also need prove that I'm applying for a visa like a copy of something off the website? I haven't a clue what to use has anyone else included this and if so what did you use? The Kompass account isn't open yet, find it a bit mad that I've copies of all that stuff and they still request this. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

madma wrote: »
    Hey,

Thought I'd everything ready for the application and went the Garda station today with the form filled out, copy of drivers licence, copy of birth cert and copy of passport. I was then told that I also need prove that I'm applying for a visa like a copy of something off the website? I haven't a clue what to use has anyone else included this and if so what did you use?

I've never gone into the Garda station for a police cert. Got one a few months ago by writing a letter to my local Superintendent requesting a police cert for Canadian Visa listing my current and previous addresses and including a copy of my passport and self-addressed envelope. Got the certificate a few weeks later. Never asked for any proof or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

I think it totally depends on the Garda whether you have to show proof or not. I remember the very first year I applied for a garda cert I needed proof, so I just printed off the instruction guide where it says you need a garda clearance, and copied and pasted the "Canada Citizenship and Immigration" symbol on top of it.

The other two times I was getting the cert I didn't need proof. Just depends on the garda, or maybe the station.

madma wrote: »
    Hey,

Thought I'd everything ready for the application and went the Garda station today with the form filled out, copy of drivers licence, copy of birth cert and copy of passport. I was then told that I also need prove that I'm applying for a visa like a copy of something off the website? I haven't a clue what to use has anyone else included this and if so what did you use? The Kompass account isn't open yet, find it a bit mad that I've copies of all that stuff and they still request this. Thanks!

I agree with the above two posts. Sounds like you were just unfortunate with the person you ended up dealing with on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

So at which point are you in the "queue" for the visa? Once you set up the Kompass account? or once you set up the kompass acount and submit the documents?

Advertisement