Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Not today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Nothing again

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jj1787

NO VISAS!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭parabol

Were any countries released?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

Whelp, getting my tourist visa tomorrow. Surely they'll release it before the six months are up.

• Advertisement

Im writing to Rob Ford!! He will sort it out for us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Loblox wrote: »
    Whelp, getting my tourist visa tomorrow. Surely they'll release it before the six months are up.

Jesus I'd hope so wanna be doing it cheap If not .

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

ciaran12 wrote: »
    Sent off my first job application for something in Downtown Calgary today, will be interesting to see what sort of responses I get while still out of the country (and if I get no response, I've heard Tim Horton's are always hiring!)

Skype interview for this on Friday! Gonna be absolutely brickin' it. It's not only my first skype interview but probably the first one where I get properly grilled on my technical knowledge (although I now realise that an easy interview is actually a pretty big red flag, so that could be a good thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Skype interview for this on Friday! Gonna be absolutely brickin' it. It's not only my first skype interview but probably the first one where I get properly grilled on my technical knowledge (although I now realise that an easy interview is actually a pretty big red flag, so that could be a good thing)

Best of luck man.

Mind me asking what Industry you're in, and if you used a website, something similar to jobs.ie, to find the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Great stuff Ciaran12. You're on the ball. Besta luck.

• Advertisement

It's a backend web development role. I actually found it and applied on Monster, but it's a job that I'd absolutely love so I also sent the hiring manager a message on linkedin a few days later to restate my interest and try to show how well suited I am to it. I was a little worried that my application wouldn't get treated that seriously otherwise since I wasn't in the country

It helps that although it's just a graduate entry role (I'm out of college and working for just 7/8 months at this stage), their software is strongly related to what I was working on here, and really closely linked to what I did for my Final Year Project and internship last summer as well.

EDIT: that should say 'the previous summer', not 'last summer'. Oh my god time has moved goddamn quickly

You're in a very similar boat to myself so, by the sounds of things.

Working 6/7 months, have a degree that encompasses most things in IT and Business. Unlike you, however, I haven't gone looking anywhere yet. Was thinking I had to wait till I had the Visa.

Might get cracking on that now soon. Cheers man, and hopefully interview goes well for you!

Speak slower and don't use any Irish phrases :D

Knex. wrote: »
    You're in a very similar boat to myself so, by the sounds of things.

Working 6/7 months, have a degree that encompasses most things in IT and Business. Unlike you, however, I haven't gone looking anywhere yet. Was thinking I had to wait till I had the Visa.

Might get cracking on that now soon. Cheers man, and hopefully interview goes well for you!

Speak slower and don't use any Irish phrases :D

Haha, thanks, that's definitely something that's on my mind already. Think I'll be recording my voice beforehand to check my mic quality and make sure I don't sound like a total culchie

Nice to hear there are others in the same situation. Are you going to Toronto or elsewhere? I'm thinking if this doesn't work out I may wait til I'm over there to do serious job searching. Just find work in a cafe or something in Calgary first, then start frequenting the local hackerspace and meetup groups to get a feel for things

Haha, thanks, that's definitely something that's on my mind already. Think I'll be recording my voice beforehand to check my mic quality and make sure I don't sound like a total culchie

Nice to hear there are others in the same situation. Are you going to Toronto or elsewhere? I'm thinking if this doesn't work out I may wait til I'm over there to do serious job searching. Just find work in a cafe or something in Calgary first, then start frequenting the local hackerspace and meetup groups to get a feel for things

Few of us heading to Vancouver, at least that's the plan for now anyway.

I do get nervous about the job situation there in comparison to elsewhere in Canada, but if I can find something it'll be worth it. Avoiding ridiculously cold winters s a plus :D

Got the official email telling me not to come into work after next Wednesday (when my current iec expires). Boss has confirmed she'll keep me on provided I get my visa (and keep my nose clean, obviously) Good thing I've got a decent amount of scratch put aside as a "just in case" to keep me going until they open it.

I really liked this job.

Got the official email telling me not to come into work after next Wednesday (when my current iec expires). Boss has confirmed she'll keep me on provided I get my visa (and keep my nose clean, obviously) Good thing I've got a decent amount of scratch put aside as a "just in case" to keep me going until they open it.

I really liked this job.

They really are doing a number on those of us that are already here working and set up - hope they keep your job for you. I have until the end of May but even im bricking it they will take ages to process! Did you get a Canadian police cert over here for the new visas?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I feel for people in Canada already. My mates visa runs out next month, but he knows a few people that had their visas expire in Jan so are paying rent / food ect while on the visitor visa and not working. Theres one back in Ireland I believe!

jj1787 wrote: »
    They really are doing a number on those of us that are already here working and set up - hope they keep your job for you. I have until the end of May but even im bricking it they will take ages to process! Did you get a Canadian police cert over here for the new visas?

My boss told me about a month ago that she would keep me on provided I get the visa. It's just getting the damn thing.

Yes, I'm actually on my second Canadian police cert now.

not that it probably matters at all for but any one add in the 011 353 to there number on there cv not that im sure it really matters but im just curious ?

I added +353, but I completely forgot that they need to dial an extra prefix for international calls before that. I'd say it's worth adding there, they'll recognize the 011 and know that it's exactly the number they need to dial. If it's not there, they may not be sure whether your number includes the Irish country code or not, and will have to google things to work it out. Last thing you want to do is cause the hiring manager 30 seconds of unnecessary inconvenience

Personally, I didn't really expect anyone to use that number though, I put my Skype name down there as well, with the assumption that they'd contact me via email and arrange interviews on Skype

I suppose a company that's in the habit of doing phone screenings before the investment of a proper interview may not do that though :/

• Advertisement

I really liked this job.

I really hope they announce the visas soon for you guys. I can't imagine what it's like to be unemployed because of visa issues without even knowing when it'll be sorted. At least if they've announced the visas you could budget for the time it takes to process and just try to use the time well

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2014/03/05/getting-ready-for-the-iec/....

.. More speculation or could this be opening in the coming days......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hippo2472

gccrowley1 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2014/03/05/getting-ready-for-the-iec/....

Maybe the reason why the Canadian authorities have not been able to give any update is because the delay was caused entirely on the Irish side...

They can't exactly give an update saying 'sorry for the delay, eh, but our Irish colleagues really messed up on this one and we have no idea when they are going to sort it...

Maybe the Irish side got their part of the agreement sorted this week...

Maybe this article was promoted by that...

A lot of maybes, eh...

But i have a strong feeling an announcement is imminent.

*all speculation of course...

gccrowley1 wrote: »

Pretty sure there just following what ican post and that it's not open .bet ya they follow the threads here too

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Not that it makes any difference but Her.ie had a piece on the 10,000 visas available for Irish people this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

They were also talking about it on Newstalk this morning. There must have been movement somewhere...
    Looks like GrumPy was right... YAY GrumPy!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Nothing today

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ckgirl

Nope :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I assume they don't have to update the page at 10:00 (local time) every morning though, right?
    I guess technically there is no reason why they wouldn't update the page after lunch, etc...
    Damn it, now I'll be worried and refreshing every hour, on the hour after 15:00 Irish time, too. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

The update to the IEC page when they said "IEC will announce the opening date for the 2014 quota on this page 24 to 72 hours in advance of the opening." was made at around 7 o clock Irish time wasnt it? why does everyone think 3 o clock is the only time?

Advertisement