Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

does anyone know how to apply for Canadian police clearance while applying from ireland?

If your asking what I think you are, I was in the Garda station today and they said to do this:
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doneyrotten

Thanks for your reply but I also need clearance from the Canadian Police as I used to live there. Just not sure of the best way to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Some how I doubt there's 2500 people with written job offers that relate to there college education right this minute

I agree. Madness that they are using 2500 visas for this category. Especially because they only announced it last week, so the chances of 2500 people having job offers are slim. Most people concentrate on getting the visa first before they start applying for jobs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Some how I doubt there's 2500 people with written job offers that relate to there college education right this minute

But those already in Canada can use that category so that will account for a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Faith wrote: »
    But those already in Canada can use that category so that will account for a few.

Even so, the category was announced on Thursday, the visa opens on Tuesday. That doesn't really give candidates a lot of time to convince their employer to draw up a contract for them based on this brand new visa that's just been released. A lot of those who qualify for the YP visa will probably still end up just going for the WH to ensure that they secure a work permit for the next two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

bopper wrote: »
    Even so, the category was announced on Thursday, the visa opens on Tuesday. That doesn't really give candidates a lot of time to convince their employer to draw up a contract for them based on this brand new visa that's just been released. A lot of those who qualify for the YP visa will probably still end up just going for the WH to ensure that they secure a work permit for the next two years.

plus the job must related to the qualifactions and its minimusm of fetac level 6 so i mean allot in the trades brickies and that it not gonna be much use too etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I've been following discussion and haven't seen much talk of this but as for the working holiday, what's everyone's feeling on the demand? How rapidly are we talking?

I'm guessing that the other visas will alleviate a little pressure, but how much we can't know. Plus, this will be split into two rounds.

Like probably everyone here, I'll have it all filled out tomorrow and wait to hit submit on Thursday the minute of opening...but I'm still a bit freaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

I've been following discussion and haven't seen much talk of this but as for the working holiday, what's everyone's feeling on the demand? How rapidly are we talking?

I'm guessing that the other visas will alleviate a little pressure, but how much we can't know. Plus, this will be split into two rounds.

Like probably everyone here, I'll have it all filled out tomorrow and wait to hit submit on Thursday the minute of opening...but I'm still a bit freaked.

id few hours to the day or so for the round for people that really want it then the rest get filled up as it goes. cant see it being like the uk still!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 twinkletoes02

Faith wrote: »

Can't even!! one of the rules of the young professionals is that you can't have been on IEC before....stupid or what!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Bit of advice needed here. Reading the FAQ I saw that you need clearance for any country you lived in for more than 6 months. I did a college placement in the UK for just over 6 months. Should I pursue getting clearance from the UK or is it too late? I didn't have a social security number over there, will I get away with it if I change the dates in my cv so that it says I was there for 5 months?

I doubt I'd be able to get uk police clearance anyway as I didnt have a social security number.

• Advertisement

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Bit of advice needed here. Reading the FAQ I saw that you need clearance for any country you lived in for more than 6 months. I did a college placement in the UK for just over 6 months. Should I pursue getting clearance from the UK or is it too late? I didn't have a social security number over there, will I get away with it if I change the dates in my cv so that it says I was there for 5 months?

I doubt I'd be able to get uk police clearance anyway as I didnt have a social security number.

ehmm..not sure, I got a UK cert as I was in Northern Ireland for a while but I was never asked for my SSN on the police check. My cert took about 3 weeks to arrive.

Can't even!! one of the rules of the young professionals is that you can't have been on IEC before....stupid or what!!!

You can. The same rule for those applying for WHV that participated before 2013 applies here. If you've only been on IEC once before on a 12 month visa you can apply again giving you 36 months in total.

bopper wrote: »
    You can. The same rule for those applying for WHV that participated before 2013 applies here. If you've only been on IEC once before on a 12 month visa you can apply again giving you 36 months in total.

Look at the last rule of the young professionals details...

Yes and look at the link with the asterix beside it underneath it.

Yeah looking at it again I see your point. . Do you know this for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

There's an * below it though with a link to this;

Previously, Irish citizens were permitted to participate twice, each time up to 12 months. Starting 2013, Irish citizens who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) for a period of up to 12 months are eligible for another participation of up to 24 months. Those who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) more than once (i.e., beyond 12 months) are not eligible.

The above paragraph is still valid for 2014. Participants eligible for 2014 can participate in the category of their choice.

- so I think that means you can apply to any category providing you have not spent more than a year in Canada.

From the ICIC Facebook page:

For those in Canada on 1year IEC: the
    IEC have updated their Ireland-specific FAQ
    page. See 7: those on a 1 year may still
    apply and may apply to the category of
    their choice.

guest124 wrote: »
    There's an * below it though with a link to this;

Previously, Irish citizens were permitted to participate twice, each time up to 12 months. Starting 2013, Irish citizens who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) for a period of up to 12 months are eligible for another participation of up to 24 months. Those who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) more than once (i.e., beyond 12 months) are not eligible.

The above paragraph is still valid for 2014. Participants eligible for 2014 can participate in the category of their choice.

- so I think that means you can apply to any category providing you have not spent more than a year in Canada.

Ok thanks for that..sods law..I dont have my degree certificate..I have my masters one though.. wonder would that be enough or would they want all of them?. ... I'm actually flying back to Ireland tomorrow so may be able to sort something. ... will need to get that letter of justification too ...yikes!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Theasal1234

8PM tonight?!!! Ah lads, do they not know the champions league is on at the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Ok thanks for that..sods law..I dont have my degree certificate..I have my masters one though.. wonder would that be enough or would they want all of them?. ... I'm actually flying back to Ireland tomorrow so may be able to sort something. ... will need to get that letter of justification too ...yikes!!!!!!

What's this about degree Certs etc ? Who do you have to send them to? If your in canada currently in a job but don't have a degree, can you apply for the young professionals. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Daithi89

arghhh....so confused by all of this. As soon as I feel like I've gotten my head around it I am confused again!

So when we submit our application do we have a temporary place? For example, if I submit and then its like 24 hours later before I manage to pay/upload documents, could I have possibly lost my place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Daithi89 wrote: »
    arghhh....so confused by all of this. As soon as I feel like I've gotten my head around it I am confused again!

So when we submit our application do we have a temporary place? For example, if I submit and then its like 24 hours later before I manage to pay/upload documents, could I have possibly lost my place?

You really need to read the IEC page and the FAQ on this forum.
    All your concerns will be answered in less than 2 minutes, literally; and then you will understand the process and be able to relax a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

Daithi89 wrote: »

If the quota has not being met, then you should get a ''temp place'' , you are sent a letter of application (ie. a temp place) within 48 hours, you have generally ten days to pay / upload documents

I saw the entire process through a friend of mine going for the the UK IEC , documents such as CV / Passport scan etc were not required for the initial application

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

In relation to the Kompass accounts, in case people still are unsure about registering tonight etc

17. When can I create a Kompass account?

If your country has more than one category, you can create a Kompass account any time a category is open – and work on your application, even if your category is currently closed. You can only submit your application, once your category quota is open.

If your country has only one category with several rounds, you can only create a Kompass account when a quota is open. If you were able to create a Kompass account but did not submit your application before the quota closed, you can work on your application and submit it when your category quota re-opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

Can someone please link me to where on the IEC page it references Garda/Police certs? The only required docs I can see for the initial application are your Passport photo page and CV.

I'm guessing the Garda certs are for stage two, but I'm trying to get some info in advance.

Good luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Yes police certs. are stage 2 only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So guys are we four hours ahead off Ottawa times???

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

astonaidan wrote: »
    So guys are we four hours ahead off Ottawa times???

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 yaknowmyname

The time has been specified on the website though 8pm tonight our time, 4pm Ottawa time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 yaknowmyname

so for sydney it'll be 7:00am

Advertisement